Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Didn't I see a alternate dos client driver around here?

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    You might be referring to EtherDFS: http://etherdfs.sourceforge.net/ (...) Be aware that there might be quality problems (as with any software).
    That is entirely correct. Every software has bugs, and mine is certainly no exception. It does work brilliantly for me, though (and apparently for lots of other people, as I keep receiving positive feedback). But as with everything, you should test it first in your own environment to make sure it fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    That is what I was thinking of all right. Was there ever a way for it to work with a windows box such as a windows side application that can listen for it?
    I am afraid there is no such option. Myself, I don't do Windows, but I was told that Windows is lacking support for "RAW" sockets, and these are necessary for crafting custom Ethernet frames. Perhaps a work-around would be to run some kind of Linux virtual machine on top of your Windows host? Myself I simply use a small RPi that acts as an EtherDFS "NAS" for all my retro machines.

Quote Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
    Still looking for a mapped drive letter solution as well. I use drive image for drive imaging and it can backup/restore to a mapped drive, but my dos client disk with many adapters will not connect with windows 10. I've tried to make many changes to allow LM and reduce the security, but I just can't get it to work. I can connect to an NT virtual machine from the client disk, but I have to send the image to the VM and then move it from there to the win10 box I use as a file server.
    I don't think Win10 has any more onerous requirements then 2K8 Server or Win7 for connecting to old clients. On those systems (I don't use Win10 or Server later then 2K I did the following:

For Server 2003:
    1) Run: gpedit.msc
    2) Find:
    Console Root -> Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> -> Security Settings -> Local Policies ->Security Options (commit changes w/" gpupdate /force")

When you're there change the following policies
    3) Microsoft network client: Send unencrypted password to third-party SMB server: Switch it to "Enabled". (probably for connecting to LANMAN Server)
    4) Network security: LAN Manager authentication level: Select the option: Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.

May also need to change: Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always) Disabled

For Server 2008 Try:

Network Security: Do not store LAN Manager hash value on next password change - DISABLE
    Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level - SEND LM & NTLM - USE NTLM v2 IF NEGOTIATED

Then reset user's PW (can be reset back to the same PW) to erase the hash.

If not working then:

Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always) Disabled
    Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always) Disabled
    Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (if client agrees) Disabled
    Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based (including secure RPC) clients No minimum
    Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP based (including secure RPC) servers No minimum

Last Resort (may not be needed) open powershell in admin mode: Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanSer ver\Parameters" SMB1 -Type DWORD -Value 1 -Force (reboot after this step)

I can map drives/share from the servers using MS Client on my DOS systems (currently the earliest system I have it working on is a 386SX-16) to a DOS letter. I can also set the clock using MS Client.
    Current Wish List: 1. IBM 7531 Industrial Series PC 2. NEC MultiSync XL (JC-2001) Monitor 3. MicroSolutions MatchPoint AND/OR UniDOS card 4. Compaq 14" VGA CRT Monitor (the one that came with the SystemPro). 5. Stacker HW CoProcessor Board MCA BUS. If you have any of the above for sale please PM me. Thank you!