Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mystery S-100 FDC, VISTA, SOL

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Holden View Post
    I wonder if there are thee ROMs on this vista board ?
    I can't see any ROM's in the OP's photo but I don't know for sure that the discs I am working with were written with that board.
    It is possible the S-100 to Sorcerer interface board held an EPROM. I will look through old newsletters today and see if there are any clues.

Progress has been made (not by me) on the MFM 250Kbit/sec disk encoding and attention has now turned to the checksum algorithm.

The Theory of Operation documentation or ROM images would make life so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by exidyboy View Post
    It is possible the S-100 to Sorcerer interface board held an EPROM. I will look through old newsletters today and see if there are any clues.
    According to an article in a 1980 newsletter there is a boot ROM.
    Typically at B900H for a 32K machine or D900H for a 48K machine (which meant you could no longer use your ROMPac).
    I don't believe this ROM has been dumped so I'll add that to the long list of Sorcerer material that has to be tracked down.

Quote Originally Posted by exidyboy View Post
    I can't see any ROM's in the OP's photo
    The reso of the photo is not good enough to be sure, the three ROMs on the MDS cards just look at a glance like the rest of the TTL IC's there, but looking closely at the IC type and a small additional markings they are Roms.

Checksum algorithm has been reverse engineered by Simon Owen in spite of a complete lack of technical information.
    Larry Kramer has been tasked with fine-tuning the cpmtools definition.

Dutchacorn - who used to own a Vista controller for the Sorcerer - has confirmed that the board pictured by the OP is the same as the one he had.
    Now we just need to find one, photograph it, dump the ROM's/PROM's and scan all the documentation.

It was interesting to have a look at the V*.RAW Image. I think I know what is going on with that image.
    Your Directory is located at 0x2000 = 8192 Decimal. And the first track is 128 Bytes x 24 sectors long
    making it the boot track (track 0). The remainder of the floppy is 512 x 10 sectors.

What I did was to move the beginning of track 1 to 5120 (512 x 10). I used dd in Linux to do that.
    dd is also known as DATA DESTROYER.
    $dd if=vistaorig.raw skip=3072 bs=1 of=vtest.raw conv=notrunc;sync

(I renamed your original file just to make it easier to type.)

This chopped off the first track (track 0 = boot track) and has the Directory located where cpmtools
    would typically look. (I've had trouble with cpmtools trying to access other images with an odd
    ball Boot track that was Single Density.)

Then, it was just a matter of getting the Definition correct enough to extract the files so the ASCII
    or TEXT files were SANE. That did take a bit of work, but it finally worked.

The three linux commands I used were:

build the new code
    $gcc -o mmcpm3U1 mmcpm3U1.c
    See if it gives a proper directory
    $./mmcpm3U1 vistaorig.raw
    extract the files
    $./mmcpm3U1 copy vistaorig.raw

If the data had been inverted I could have used
    $gcc -o mmcpm3U1 mmcpm3U1.c
    $./mmcpm3U1 examine vistaorig.raw
    $./mmcpm3U1 copy vista.img

I wasn't able to use cpmtools ver 2.21 because it barfs when trying to access the HEX bytes of your file.
    And the OFS xxxx (with BOOTTRK 0) doesn't seem to want to work on your original file. So, I located the
    DIRECTORY and just chopped xxxx bytes to make the Directory start at 5120 (Decimal) and then I can
    access it properly with mmcpm (a modified mmcpm.c)

The attached text file will give you the information you are wanting. I think the files are good since the DOC and
    .ASM files appear to be SANE. But, the ONLY way to know for sure is a BINARY COMPARE or just try
    them in CP/M (if you dare).

Maybe your cpmtools version will work with this definition:# Sorcerer Vista 5.25" SS 40T (40T 10x512 s/t)
    diskdef vista
    seclen 512
    tracks 40
    sectrk 10
    heads 1
    blocksize 1024
    #maxdir 128
    maxdir 64
    skew 0
    # skewstart 1
    # datasect 1
    # boottrk 1
    #0x2000 = 8192 was original DIR location
    # offset 5120
    offset 8192
    boottrk 0
    os 2.2
    end

If not, you can always chop off the first 3072 bytes and use the offset of 5120.

# vista - Sorcerer Vista - SSDD 48 tpi 5.25" - 512 x 10
    diskdef vista
    seclen 512
    tracks 40
    sectrk 10
    secbase 0
    blocksize 1024
    maxdir 64
    skew 0
    offset 8192
    boottrk 0
    os 2.2
    end

# libdsk data below
    [vista]
    description = Sorcerer Vista - SSDD 48 tpi 5.25" - 512 x 10
    cylinders = 40
    heads = 1
    secsize = 512
    sectors = 10
    secbase = 0
    datarate = DD

Larry

vtest_info.txt
    Last edited by ldkraemer; August 9th, 2019 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added cpmtools & libdsk definitions

DECOD2.COM & ENCOD2.COM both appear to start execution properly, and just need the password:
    Code:
    A2>DECOD2

Decode II  v1.0

Copyright (c) 1980 - SuperSoft & Herbert Schildt

Enter password: 53421
    XXXXX
    Invalid
    Program terminated...returning to operating system

Larry

If you run PASS2 on the disk, you can change the password to what ever you like

I simply chopped off 3072 bytes from the start and used below to extract all files perfectly using CMPToolsGUI

diskdef vista
    seclen 512
    tracks 40
    sectrk 10
    secbase 0
    blocksize 1024
    maxdir 64
    skew 1
    boottrk 1
    os 2.2
    end