Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: caps lock switch replacement

Default caps lock switch replacement

Hi all,
    did anyone ever needed to replace a caps lock switch on a Commodore keyboard? I need to replace one on a 128D keyboard, so looking for a new keyboard is out of question.
    I'll try to see if a standard C64 keyboard's one fits the 128D, but I ask here too, in case someone already knows if a modern part could be a suitable replacement.
    The original switch makes no contact at all anymore, I've tried to open it looking for obvious troubles but really it seems it's missing one metal tab for contact, which sounds so strange since it can't be that it disappeared entirely (unless at one time someone did open that same switch and managed to put it back together without the missing part).
    Any hint is obviously welcome.
    Frank IZ8DWF

Follow-up: the caps-lock switch from C64 keyboard is too tall for the 128D's one, so I re-assembled the non working original switch and I'll leave it alone for now. I hope someone can suggest a good replacement, even if I doubt this is a very common issue :/

Best regards
    Frank

This site has two different kinds of C64 shift lock key switches... maybe one of them matches what the C128 used?

https://www.retroleum.co.uk/c64-keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    This site has two different kinds of C64 shift lock key switches... maybe one of them matches what the C128 used?

https://www.retroleum.co.uk/c64-keyboard
    Thanks!
    But, one is out of stock and the other is what I've already tried.

Frank

Hi again,
    just for the record, the 128 and 128D keyboards are identical actually, so the switches can be found on a scrapped C128, if any pops up one day.

Frank IZ8DWF

Blog Entries

The C128 has both a CAPS LOCK and a SHIFT LOCK (like the SHIFT LOCK) on the C64, if my memory is correct.

That SHIFT LOCK is next to useless in my opinion. So if that's the broken one and your CAPS LOCK works, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it if I were you. If it is the CAPS LOCK that doesn't work, maybe you could swap the two switches.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    The C128 has both a CAPS LOCK and a SHIFT LOCK (like the SHIFT LOCK) on the C64, if my memory is correct.

That SHIFT LOCK is next to useless in my opinion. So if that's the broken one and your CAPS LOCK works, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it if I were you. If it is the CAPS LOCK that doesn't work, maybe you could swap the two switches.
    Yes I know that, of course. This machine isn't mine (like the majority that I repair), so the owner decided to leave this keyboard as it is and he'll be looking for a scrapped C128 to borrow the correct switch. He wants his machines to be as good as they can be.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by iz8dwf View Post
    Yes I know that, of course. This machine isn't mine (like the majority that I repair), so the owner decided to leave this keyboard as it is and he'll be looking for a scrapped C128 to borrow the correct switch. He wants his machines to be as good as they can be.

Frank
    Boy, I didn't think that this would be such a problem. I've got several scrapped C128s and C64s if you can't find one on your side of the big pond.
    Does it look like this?

C128Keysw.JPG

m
    Last edited by MikeS; December 19th, 2017 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Boy, I didn't think that this would be such a problem. I've got several scrapped C128s and C64s if you can't find one on your side of the big pond.
    Does it look like this?

C128Keysw.JPG

m
    Yeah! That's it
    On this side of the world they aren't that common (the 128s I mean, I have a few scrapped C64 of course).
    How much would it cost this precious switch and shipping to old Italy?
    Thanks
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by iz8dwf View Post
    Yeah! That's it
    On this side of the world they aren't that common (the 128s I mean, I have a few scrapped C64 of course).
    How much would it cost this precious switch and shipping to old Italy?
    Thanks
    Frank
    Let me check; meanwhile, have a very happy Christmas!

m