Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was the Tandy 1000HX MS-DOS disk really not bootable?

Default Was the Tandy 1000HX MS-DOS disk really not bootable?

In preparation for the reception of the 1000HX I bought not long ago, I was collecting disks off the internet.

The disk available on the internet is just a collection of files unlike every other downloads which are images of bootable disks.

http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog/system.html
    ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tan...em/hxdisks.zip

While it doesn't have to be bootable to be used thanks to the DOS in ROM, it does strike me as odd that it isn't. Not only every other disk is, but also the SYS utility present in the disk is useless without a system disk to copy IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS from. I want to make bootable disks for the computer.

If anyone has an original disk, can you confirm that it was indeed non-bootable?

Booting from the ROM acted like booting from a hard disk and if you booted from anything else you lost access to it. To the best of my recollection, you could still create bootable floppies from the HX DOS disk even if you booted from the ROM. One thing I did do not long after getting my HX in 1987/88 though was to get Tandy's DOS 3.20 upgrade for the SX to use with the HX. I did/do have the external 5-1/4" drive for the EX/HX so the format wasn't a problem since you could choose to boot from the external drive. The Winimage disk I have for HX DOS is in 360k format and not bootable. I seem to have made the disk years ago.
    Collection online nonstop since May 1997: http://www.cchaven.com

just boot up off the rom and do a FORMAT A: /S, that will create the bootable floppy for you.

I dont think you have to use SYS A: after that, but you might. Getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    just boot up off the rom and do a FORMAT A: /S, that will create the bootable floppy for you.

FORMAT /S functions the same way as SYS, except it formats before copying the boot sector. But the MS-DOS floppy I linked doesn't have the boot sector.

Blog Entries

The system had DOS in ROM, so it was expected you'd boot off of that. While I can't verify if the HX originally came with bootable DOS disks, it would not surprise me if they weren't (who wants to boot a DOS disk when you can just boot from ROM in 3 seconds?).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    who wants to boot a DOS disk when you can just boot from ROM in 3 seconds?
    People who wanted to upgrade DOS versions....

You can disable ROM boot in the setup utility.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

It's a Tandy 1000 HX -- I doubt there was any incentive for anyone to upgrade their DOS It was more involved to upgrade past the stock 256KB RAM, and you couldn't add a hard drive.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Outside of any speculation as to why it would or wouldn't, or why would anyone want to use it or not, the HX is the only system presented in that form (a zipped list of files to transfer to any disk). Every other system, including the SL and TL which also had DOS in ROM, are offered disk images. It makes me very suspicious.

I tried ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tan...em/d1000sl.zip , and it booted MS-DOS 3.3 correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post

I think this might create a chicken-and-egg problem:
    If you boot off the ROM, you boot into the old DOS, and as such, it will create a bootable floppy with the old MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS and COMMAND.COM (which means it 'downgrades' the actual DOS on the floppy, at least partly).

So you'd want to boot into the correct version of DOS first, and make sure you perform a SYS with the correct versions of all files.

Any games and programs that can run on a floppy-only 1000HX probably aren't going to need anything higher than DOS 2.1x anyway, especially since Tandy updated it with features normally only found in DOS 3.x and higher, such as 3" disk support.