Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was the Tandy 1000HX MS-DOS disk really not bootable?

So, doing format /s on a real machine does make a boot disk? Interesting. That's a bug to report to PCem.

IMG_0286.jpg

Thats what I created with an HX, then just copied the files from the HX zip file over to it. I don't have the booting picture, but it booted fine.

Trixster, I'll just put the image inside the HX Zip if thats ok? I'll have to get my floppy emulator connected back up to image disk it so I can get it to you, dont want Windows getting ahold of the disk.

It worked... I just did it in the emulator.

I had no idea doing format remotely would work like that.

Thank you!

[edit]

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Make sure you change the disk after prompted on formatting

Code:
    C:
    A:format b: /s
    Right there. I'm a little dense.

[edit 2] COPYDOS.BAT still doesn't work, even from C:. The script would have to be written differently for it to work, or first a boot copy needs to be manually made before the .BAT can automatise the process.

These is also now the real possibility that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I suppose there will still be a shadow of doubt until the original discs are properly dumped.
    Last edited by khaz; December 23rd, 2017 at 09:06 AM.

Try it after you make a working disk, it should work.

For all we know, they never had a bootable disk.

If anyone is interested, I have the original 1000 HX with original disks. Can I check something for you?

Blog Entries

Yes, please dump disk images of all of the disks that came with the HX (preferably with ImageDisk) and then upload them via FTP to ftp.oldskool.org in the /incoming directory. I can update the tvdog Tandy 1000 archive with them.

The burning question is: Were the DOS disks bootable, or were they just disks full of files and the HX booted only off of the built-in ROM?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    The burning question is: Were the DOS disks bootable, or were they just disks full of files and the HX booted only off of the built-in ROM?
    My guess is that they must be bootable, because you don't want to mix-and-match old and new parts of DOS.
    I've never had much luck with that with 'regular' DOS files (later DOSes had version checks inside their commands, and would report "Incorrect DOS version" if you tried to run on the wrong DOS).
    So I don't think that Tandy is any different in that respect. Even at the lowest level (io.sys, msdos.sys, command.com), you'll want to use the correct version to avoid issues.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Yes, please dump disk images of all of the disks that came with the HX (preferably with ImageDisk) and then upload them via FTP to ftp.oldskool.org in the /incoming directory. I can update the tvdog Tandy 1000 archive with them.

This may be a clue:

The Floppy Disk Drive uses double-sided, double-densitydiskettes to read, write, or store data. These are softsector diskettes. The Disk Drive assembly is installed inthe standard unit. All system programs, with the exception of the system startup sequence, are stored on disk.

ftp://ftp.mindcandydvd.com/pub/drive...nce_Manual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    The Floppy Disk Drive uses double-sided, double-densitydiskettes to read, write, or store data. These are softsector diskettes. The Disk Drive assembly is installed inthe standard unit. All system programs, with the exception of the system startup sequence, are stored on disk.
    Ah, I see the confusion.
    Yes, the original MS-DOS disks for a Tandy won't have to be bootable: they would match the ROM version in the machine.
    But I thought we were talking about some DOS upgrade for a Tandy.
    Either the disk has to be bootable in that case, or the disk would have to come with a replacement ROM, I suppose.

Please make sure that the disks are read-only before putting them in a computer with a modern version of Windows (xp and beyond).