Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was the Tandy 1000HX MS-DOS disk really not bootable?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    It makes me very suspicious.
    It was likely a donation to the tvdog archive at some point, without the ability to contact the owner to get him to dump the entire disk properly.

There are three Tandy OEM MS-DOS 2.11 distros I've seen in the wild: 2.11.00, 2.11.22, and 02.11.24. An enterprising person could download all three, and then do checksums on msdos.sys/io.sys/command.com and figure out which one of them produced the files found inside ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tan...em/hxdisks.zip .
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

I don't know about checksums, but I took 2.11 and 2.11.24 from here http://archive.compgeke.com/Operatin...oft%20-%20OEM/ , and used them to format and sys a virtual floppy in PCem. I also tried to replace the resulting command.com with the one present in ROM.

2.11 was useless. It formatted the floppy as 360k only. Formatting with the 1000HX application and then using SYS from the generic 2.11 I was able to make a boot floppy of the correct size. swapping command.com for the one in ROM resulted in an error at boot, complaining about an incorrect command.com.

2.11.24 was better in all regards. I could format and sys the 720k floppy, and swapping command.com gives me no error.

COMMAND.COM from 2.11.24 and COMMAND.COM from ROM (2.11.26) are different, with ROM being a tad bigger.

I've been looking on ebay, but there is no original floppy being sold at the moment. I'll keep looking, because I want the original floppies any way, but it might take a while until someone auction only the floppies (most would come with the computer I assume.)

One thing I didn't notice at first: once I boot with the floppy, ROM drive C is not available any more. I suppose it's because these generic old DOS weren't compatible with hard drives yet?

copydos.bat on the 2.11 disk will make a bootable version of that DOS. I remember doing that when I ran a searchlight BBS off of my HX. With just the one floppy drive. I didnt need 3.x so it met my needs. I guess they felt this was the way to do it instead of making it bootable from the factory.

Oh and there is a driver and program in the ROM that will let you mount the drive, if memory serves, when using a newer version of DOS.

I just tried COPYDOS with the floppy from oldskool.org in PCem. it asked for a disc in B:, formatted it then copied the tracks from A: to B:. Then it asked me to "Please put system diskette in A", with the message repeating with either disc in A:. After a hard reset, the newly made disc gave me the usual "non-system disk or disk error". looking at the contents of the new disc, I see it copied all the DOS files from the original disc.

Looking at COPYDOS.BAT, it's clear that we are missing files:

Code:
    echo off
    cls
    echo MS-DOS INSTALLATION
    if "%1"=="p" goto p
    if "%1"=="P" goto p
    cls
    onedisk
    if errorlevel 1 goto one
    format b:
    cls
    echo When prompted for the source diskette
    echo insert the application diskette
    diskcopy a: b:
    cls
    goto p
    :one
    format a:
    cls
    echo When prompted for the source diskette
    echo insert the application diskette
    diskcopy
    cls
    echo When prompted for the diskette in drive B
    echo place your target diskette in drive A
    echo .
    echo When prompted for the diskette in drive A
    echo replace your target diskette with an MS-DOS diskette
    echo .
    :p
    sys b:
    echo .
    copy a:command.com b:
    copy a:format.com b:
    copy a:diskcopy.com b:
    copy a:mode.exe b:
    copy a:lpinst.exe b:
    copy a:lf.com b:

The process gets stuck on SYS B:, because the disc I'm using is missing a boot sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    copydos.bat on the 2.11 disk will make a bootable version of that DOS. I remember doing that when I ran a searchlight BBS off of my HX. With just the one floppy drive. I didnt need 3.x so it met my needs. I guess they felt this was the way to do it instead of making it bootable from the factory.

Oh and there is a driver and program in the ROM that will let you mount the drive, if memory serves, when using a newer version of DOS.
    Do you happen to have kept your original discs?

Nope, unfortunately I haven't. I'll play around with mine tonight and see if I can make it work manually.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Nope, unfortunately I haven't. I'll play around with mine tonight and see if I can make it work manually.
    Make sure you change the disk after prompted on formatting

Code:
    C:
    A:format b: /s
    Then

Make sure you keep track of the original 1000 archive HX disk and your new bootable one. A: is the original, B: is the bootable one. Once you are done, you have the bootable disk for the HX and it should be good to upload that back to the archive.

Code:
    A:xcopy a: b:
    Booted right up with 2.11.26 I think and the hx disk fixed. Lots of disk swapping here unless you really have two drives. Also, I bet this will work with copydos.bat, however you might have just run that from C: instead of A:
    Last edited by Tibs; December 21st, 2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Fixed format command, forgot B: will always prompt

format b: /s doesn't work when I put all the files from ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/tvdog/tan...em/hxdisks.zip into an img file and load that in PCem.
    It complains: "insert DOS disk in drive A: and strike any key when ready"

format B: works. format B: /S works when I use a different system disk from the website, like DOS 3.3 .

Also C: (ROM) only contains COMMAND.COM; AUTOEXEC.BAT; INTLDRVR.COM; P.COM

Sorry I was using a real HX not an emulator. c:\command.com is the interpreter that is set in the environment which is why I chose to do C:

I'll make an image when I get around to it and upload to the archive. It should be what you want.

Blog Entries

Make sure you note in whatever you upload to the archive what it is. If it's not an exact dump of whatever the original bootable HX disks are, note that in the .zip somewhere.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)