Image Map Image Map

Thread: File Dropbox

Default File Dropbox

Do we have a file dropbox for drivers / startup disks things like that any place? If not, any chance of one in the future?

I can't see VCFed doing that anytime soon. It's a bit fraught with copyright problems, and then there is the potential for abusive behavior, such as viruses.

People can (and should) make efforts to preserve drivers. Trixter does a very good job at oldskool.org. I have a few oddballs that I use here: http://www.brutman.com/Device_Driver...ollection.html

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by tblake05 View Post
    Do we have a file dropbox for drivers / startup disks things like that any place? If not, any chance of one in the future?
    Why don't you open a DropBox account (they're free for 2 GB accounts), call it whatever you want, and post drivers for us all to access. I have some I would contribute to help out.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

I was thinking about that... I've got some space on a NAS at home I could use also (about 1tb). Not sure how well that would work with my current upload speeds though. However most old drivers we'd be interested in would be rather small in size.

Dropbox sucks

If it worked like this it would actually be better

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hu87s_BA7_Y

Blog Entries

I use box.com myself. Seems to do the job.

MEGA.NZ works for me, 50gb free space.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    MEGA.NZ works for me, 50gb free space.
    It's not completely free:
    *Subject to your participation in our achievements program.

Did you read the fine print? You have to jump through hoops every six or twelve months in order to maintain that free space.

The free plan used to be a huge lure for new users because it offered 50GB of storage. That changed in 2017 and now the service takes 35GB away after one month.

You can complete achievements, such as installing the desktop client and the mobile app, but the storage you gain that way will vanish after 180 days.

Even if you invite friends, you get storage that disappears after a year, which is a big contrast to services that don’t place such time restrictions.

Here's the skinny:

• Free account users receive:
      • 15 GB of base storage quota.
      • An additional 35 GB trial at signup expires after one month.
      • Additional storage allowances can be activated through various "achievements", but also expire. The maximum permanent storage is 50 GB.

• Paid account users are provided with four tiers of options:
      • 200 GB storage (1 TB of bandwidth per month)
      • 1 TB storage (2 TB of bandwidth per month)
      • 4 TB storage (8 TB of bandwidth per month)

• 8 TB storage (16 TB of bandwidth per month

So you basically get 15 GB if you don't want to perpetually play games with them.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]You can complete achievements, such as installing the desktop client and the mobile app, but the storage you gain that way will vanish after 180 days.
    Strange thing to call an "achievement". So they basically double as cell phone salesmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    So you basically get 15 GB if you don't want to perpetually play games with them.
    I've had my account there for a few years now and have 50gb and has never changed over time, I typically have 20 to 40gb stored there and much is synced to my home PC.

So if things have changes since, then 15gb is still 7 times more than the crappy 2gb from Dropbox. What other service gives you free 15gb or better for free ?