Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: D.R.E.A.M. 6800 Build

Blog Entries

Very slick! You were close to the Altoids ELF idea with that case!

I've always wondered what font those dry transfer letters were. I have a bunch of retro projects that originally would have used those but i can't figure out what font/size they were.

I know what you mean about tiny wires. I'm really starting to have a hard time following little things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post

I've always wondered what font those dry transfer letters were. I have a bunch of retro projects that originally would have used those but i can't figure out what font/size they were.

I know what you mean about tiny wires. I'm really starting to have a hard time following little things like that.
    falter,

Iíll measure the font this eveninng.

Itís san serif - so arial bold might be close.

falter,

Here are two photos of my COSMAC ELF lettering decals for horizontal and vertical height:

fontsizeHorizontal.jpg fontsizeVertical.jpg

Monty

Iím impressed with the layout of the DREAM 6800 board, in that itís that small AND single sided. Incredible use of jumpers, making it possible for hobbyists to etch the board at home easily. Tempting to make one.

I once saw a sophisticated terminal made in Taiwan with a big single sided board and about 100 jumpers of varying lengths. I suppose at that time it cost less to build.

5. Default

I think the font is from the Lettraset catalog of fonts. I used to know the exact font name, but can't remember it right now and don't have my vintage Lettraset Catalog at hand.

regards,
    Mike Willegal

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slob View Post
    I’m impressed with the layout of the DREAM 6800 board, in that it’s that small AND single sided. Incredible use of jumpers, making it possible for hobbyists to etch the board at home easily. Tempting to make one.

I once saw a sophisticated terminal made in Taiwan with a big single sided board and about 100 jumpers of varying lengths. I suppose at that time it cost less to build.
    What I like is that it is more than just a basic trainer.. the whole idea of it doing graphics and being designed around making games just takes it a notch above other SBCs for me. I can't wait to try mine out. I too am amazed at how small the board is... for what it does.

Here's a shot of mine with the cover off:

received_294156697955883.jpg

I notice over on the microbee site that someone is recreating the 6800/6802 DREAM CPU, KEYPAD and PSU PCBs.

I will try and send them an e-mail to see how advanced this project is (https://www.microbee-mspp.org.au/gal...s.php?album=28).

Dave

>>> in that it’s that small AND single sided. Incredible use of jumpers, making it possible for hobbyists to etch the board at home easily.

Very reminiscent of Elektor projects. As you say - very easy to make a single-sided PCB at home from the PCB artwork that was published on a page in the magazine.

>>> the whole idea of it doing graphics and being designed around making games just takes it a notch above other SBCs for me.

Fully agree. It has a definite purpose in life whereas with a general purpose machine you turn it on - and then what... It was dead easy in the past to teach kids to program (even though they didn't realise at the time that that was what they were doing) when you showed them how to make games with a toolkit I produced. They went from just loading/playing bought games at the computer club to working together in their own time to develop new games themselves. That's all gone these days...

Although - I have been approached by a local school to help with their computer courses. I wonder if a slightly enhanced CHIP8 running on some other convenient platform may be in order?!

Dave

Forgot to say - I am typing in the source code for the CHIP8 interpreter from the source code listing.

It was too complex for OCR - but I may have found a better source for the source (if you pardon the pun)!

Dave

Blog Entries

Are you referring to the one they use on the DREAM Dave? We converted that to srec a while back. Should be posted in one of the other threads... how to burn a 2708. If that's the one you're referring to.