Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: D.R.E.A.M. 6800 Build

But do you have the source code for it that you can assemble rather than just the BIN/HEX/SREC?

Dave

Blog Entries

No that I don't. I don't think that was in the articles.

I have the assembler listing file for it - that is what I am currently typing in.

I have tried OCRing it - but no dice (even a nice PDF copy I have found).

Dave

I have the assembler file typed up for CHIPOS. It assembles without errors (now I have fixed a few typos that I entered of course) and it now generates the same total length as the original.

The next task is to compare the S-REC file output by the assembler with the hex bytes in the magazine article to ensure they are the same (i.e. I have a faithful implementation).

When I have done this (probably the weekend now) I will need to tidy up the source code a little bit and then post it for everyones enjoyment.

I got a reply back from the guy making the D.R.E.A.M. 6800/6802 clone - and he is looking to (hopefully) get some PCBs available this year sometime. He has apparently built and tested the keyboard and PSU boards he has cloned. I have offered him some help if it would assist the process.

Dave

Blog Entries

I wonder if he's the same guy in the Australian Vintage Computer Facebook group. There was a guy there with a produced board that was basically identical to the original except instead of jumpers he's made it double sided with traces where the jumpers were:

dream6800clone.jpg

That appears to be a different board again!

The one I had seen still had the wire jumpers (true to original) and he hadn't actually built his yet (to my knowledge).

Curioser and curiouser...

Dave

Blog Entries

It arrived!

20190125_143525.jpg 20190125_144314.jpg 20190125_144319.jpg 20190125_144330.jpg

Have to figure out how to re-bond the plastic lid. There are a couple of wires that have come loose from the keypad, which basically just has an IC socket attached. The joystick is a nice touch... tiny! Doesn't self center - I don't know how people dealt with non-self centering joysticks.

Anyway, I'm going to try to rehab this this weekend and see if we can get any life out of it. It also came with its power supply but the transformers were removed as they are 220V (or whatever Australia uses) and no good here.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I wonder if he's the same guy in the Australian Vintage Computer Facebook group.
    Yes, its the same guy. Hes made a few different versions initially.

Most Radio Control joysticks come with a mechanism that has a spring attached - but the spring can be removed.

If it is an R/C joystick you may just find that you can add a small spring to centre it.

It shouldn't be too difficult to identify where the broken wires from the keypad should go to.

She looks nice - but a bit of TLC is required to nurse her back to life. You're the man for her Falter...

Dave

Blog Entries

Apparently didn't need much nursing:

20190126_221854.jpg

Basically just needed to reattach a couple of wires to the keypad header, which I've deduced by following the color pattern of the wires the builder used. I noticed the first four wires for the first four PA lines had the same order on the keypad header as on the little socket header that plugs into the mainboard. That header was disconnected but I could see the coloured wires running to the reset and FN buttons lined up with the silkscreen on the motherboard socket.

Anyway.. powered up with a chirp... just used my spare Amiga 1000 psu. Bit of vertical hold adjustment and voila. I pressed a free numbers and got response... not consistently but I don't really know how this thing works yet. Reading tomorrow.
    Last edited by falter; January 26th, 2019 at 09:37 PM.