Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry handle removal & replacement on an Osborne 1

Default Carry handle removal & replacement on an Osborne 1

Folks,

Has anyone replaced the handle on their Osborne 1 ?

Mine has rusted/rotted away and for the life of me I can't see how the handle end caps can be removed.

It would appear from looking at the other side of the steel panel to which the handle is fixed that each end of the handle has three screws holding it in place but I can't get to the screw heads without removing these rusty end caps. They are in a state so will not be reused so not too worried about their destruction in the removal process. Just wondered is there is a simple ay to remove them.

IMG_20180102_113947.jpg
    Last edited by zippysticks; January 2nd, 2018 at 02:50 AM.

Zippysticks I sent you a PM with some advice. Let me know thanks.

Zippysticks did you get my PM? was that of any help to you?

Hi - yes, just picked up the PM - thanks for the reply.
    My Ssbourne 1 must be different to yours, as my handle is attached to the metal chassis that wraps around the centre unit housing the CRT.
    I have seen the removable panel you refer to on other osboune 1's such as that cleaned up in the retrobrite video from 8bitguy on you tube.

Great to hear that the handle caps should just slide off though - I need to get rid of some of the rust first.

ZS, hmm, guess that changes the acid submersion. All is not lost; buy this product:
    https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8175.../dp/B0007TQW5G

slather it on and cover in some plastic wrap much like the 8bitguys retrobrite style and give it time (dunno how long, guess a read of the label would tell you) and commence with the rest of what I mentioned. although its rusty as hell it doesn't look rotten and I think there is still plenty of good strong metal under the rust to support the weight.

Well I got the hand caps off - they do indeed slide outwards when some of the rust is removed.

Problem now is that the handle ends are actually riveted to the chassis - looks like I'll need to drill them out.

IMG_20180121_123617.jpg

yep they are viveted on. Can you send pictures of the whole unit that it is riveted to so we can see how its connected? I would like to see how your osbornes handle connection differs from mine. Thanks!

Blog Entries

The rivets look like standard aluminum blind "pop" rivets. Easy to drill out and can be replaced either with another set of rivets or screws, lock-washers and nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by zippysticks View Post
    So in the photo is it connected to all that bracketry behind it or are you just resting it on them for the photo. Chuck(G) is right . rivots would look better after you put them in and grind them flush.

So the chrome cover caps, hard to take off? Any damage? Will you be able to secure again,?