Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: best dos midi player for dos ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    MPU-401, full interrupt-driven intelligent mode. (Or whatever is built into the SCC-1) The player explicitly supports it and reports back that it is doing so.
    Okay, so I suppose that would be a best-case scenario in terms of CPU usage?
    As in, if you would play in SB-MIDI mode, it'd probably run into problems even more often?

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Correct. I think it was a combination of interrupt overhead + the program might have had room for optimization. Assuming standard MIDI speed, the maximum number of note-on events that could be sent in a second is 1562, so ~1500 interrupts a second with an unoptimized interrupt handler, is likely why.
    Well, if you can collect a few of these 'troublesome' MIDI files, they'd make great testing material for development, I guess.
    It might also be interesting to add some GM, GS and XG support perhaps, although I'm not entirely sure what. Mostly initialization code perhaps?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    I've built that into the code now, here is the latest version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7d7ff4opmy...MPlay.zip?dl=0
    Great will test it tonight

Interesting toppic for me. Yesterday I tested a S2-Midimodule on my ESS Formosa KWX-1630 on my A2286/8 Bridgeboard. MPU401 routed to 330 with no IRQ.
    DOSMID /mpu=330 does load, but it freezes. I do not have an inteligent mode available in that setup. softmpu requires 386+. "overkill" does not play music.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.zeissler View Post
    Yesterday I tested a S2-Midimodule on my ESS Formosa KWX-1630 on my A2286/8 Bridgeboard. MPU401 routed to 330 with no IRQ.
    DOSMID /mpu=330 does load, but it freezes. I do not have an inteligent mode available in that setup. softmpu requires 386+. "overkill" does not play music.
    DOSMID does not need intelligent mode - or at least it is not supposed to. Is your setup working properly with other software - for example MIDI-enabled games without any extra tricks?

In any case, it shouldn't "freeze", but rather exit with a timeout message of some sort after a couple of seconds. Could you tell me what it displays exactly when it freezes, so I could pin-point the place where it hangs? It probably won't make it work, but at least I should be able to make it exit somewhat gracefully when the MPU does not behave as expected.

Ist says "loading..." and every klick on keyboard generates a "piep".
    it should not load 60k midi-files in several minutes

6. Default

Ist says "loading..." and every klick on keyboard generates a "piep".
    it should not load 60k midi-files in several minutes
    Hello, sorry for the quite longish time it took me to answer...

I looked into the code, and if the application says "Loading" *without* displaying any metadata about the file yet (like title, number of tracks, etc), then it does not freeze on any MPU hardware call. The only possible activity is truly about loading the MIDI file to memory and pre-decoding it.

Could you please tell if it "plays" the file when launched with the /nosound argument? ie. DOSMID /nosound file.mid
    Also, have you tried loading some other MIDI files to confirm it freezes on them as well?

It does work, but it needs some time and not all midi-files seem to work.
    "Loading" takes a long time on that slow setup.

8. Default

It does work, but it needs some time and not all midi-files seem to work.
    "Loading" takes a long time on that slow setup.
    Oh, so it works after all with the MPU, right? That's cool.
    Yes, on very ancient computers loading a file may take a while, although the "several minutes" that you mentioned earlier sound quite surprising... Unless it's a MIDI file with many many tracks.

Anyway, I understand that it technically works for you, and the problem is rather of performance nature during file pre-loading. For next version I was planning to see if there are any easy wins to gain some speed on that front.