Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New eBay scam

Default New eBay scam

1 - get sucker to buy something
    2 - send sucker a letter Priority Mail
    3 - use Priority Mail tracking number as PROOF item was delivered
    4 - PROFIT!

Now, I'm fighting with eBay that a CAR BUMPER and a TRUNK LID sold in two SEPARATE auctions
    could not possibly have been delivered Priority Mail with a SINGLE tracking number, and
    that it is physically impossible to ship them this way in the first place because of USPS
    restrictions on size and weight.

The shipper said it would go Greyhound (how convenient, no tracking that way) and he didn't supply
    the tracking number until AFTER I filed the complaint with eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272961647456
    Last edited by Al Kossow; January 8th, 2018 at 04:10 PM.

Blog Entries

O, I had that done to me many many years ago. Bought a $40 SCSI card. Sent priority mail, and it never arrived. Ebay said I was SOL, so I tried to pursue it with the post office. By the time I got the post master to return my calls (and I only got this right by leaving him a message every day for 2 months) I was told that "his guys would not remember it anymore" and it was made very clear that the USPS didn't give a shit about mail fraud.

Thankfully it was a relatively small amount though.

If they sent you something via priority mail, do you at least have that as proof on your side?

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    If they sent you something via priority mail, do you at least have that as proof on your side?
    No, it was just an invoice and I threw it out when I got it the middle of last month.
    I had no idea what it was going to be used for until a couple of days ago.

There's a record of it and a photo of it as well. I get previews of my mail on a daily basis via 'Informed Delivery'.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Yes. Even if you aren't set up for Informed Delivery now, when you do set it up, past items are still available.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

This is not new. at all.
    Just file a SNAD case, state you revived a letter and not the item your bought. You will be asked to return the item and likely the seller will have to pay to ship it back.

Did the envelope at least have a picture of the item in it?

While this case does appear to be a scam, it bears pointing out that legitimate ebay sellers also send an invoice or packing slip in order to get a tracking number that's acceptable to ebay when shipping by a means that doesn't meet ebay's requirements, such as Greyhound.

It's a defensive measure against crooked buyers (clearly not the case here) though they tend to use First Class Package, because it's cheaper than Priority Mail.

The real problem is ebay's bullshit "one size fits all" policies.

Part of that problem is eBay's core business model, and the reason large retailers are folding.

eBay is too big and too lean. They don't have any manpower. You cannot go to their nearest retail store's customer service desk and explain your case to someone who will consider your case and can do something about it.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    Part of that problem is eBay's core business model, and the reason large retailers are folding.

eBay is too big and too lean. They don't have any manpower. You cannot go to their nearest retail store's customer service desk and explain your case to someone who will consider your case and can do something about it.
    This is the truth. I was baned on eBay as a buyer because I opened more then 75 cases in a year. But no one at eBay even took the time to relize that I bought close to 1500 items in the year. Most of witch were high risk items from high risk sellers. All they cared about was that I opened more then 75 cases, 76 to be exact.
    Most if not all big under staffed companies are like this. It all about uping their bottom dolor.