Image Map Image Map

Thread: Dot Matrix Printer Stands: Can I find a simple one?

Default Dot Matrix Printer Stands: Can I find a simple one?

I've been looking for a stand to put my Okidata printer on so I'm able to print using the bottom tractor feed. I've searched far and wide on Google for a wooden stand, but I just can't seem to find one.

I've even considered making one myself, but I don't have an edge router.

Are there any brands or places I can find one that any of you can suggest?

How about a drill and a jigsaw? The hole doesn't have to be super nice looking because you'll hardly ever see it with the printer on top of it.

What I've done in the past is to just cut a slot in the top of a box of fanfold paper and let the paper feed through the slot (set the printer on top of the box so the slot on the bottom of the printer is directly above the slot in the top of the box). For this to work the box cannot be full -- take 2-3 inches worth of paper out of the box first. I had a small paper box (6" tall or so) that I used for this purpose that I would refill 3" at a time from a larger box. For durability reinforce the top of the box with duct tape and one or two more layers of cardboard. Two decades later I still have this box but it's looking pretty bedraggled nowadays (probably because I did not reinforce it with extra cardboard, let my experience be a lesson to us all).

If you can't make one out of wood, how about using a barbecue grill grate? Something like this:
    https://www.grillparts.com/charbroil...ct_id=80000293

Set the grate on a couple of bricks or something, put the paper underneath and the printer on top. Works for 8.5" paper but I'm not sure if you would be able to find a replacement grate big enough for wide 'line printer' paper.

Blog Entries

A stand could probably be even simpler. I remember using a commercial one what was little more than two trapezoils, serving as legs under the printer. Something like this:

Another variation:

As you haven't given your location in your profile, we must all assume that you're writing from Tristan da Cunha, where there are probably few office supply stores to visit.

I bought this printer cart: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product.../10304576.aspx

I found it on ebay or amazon a few years ago for $40.00 I use a pretty big color hp laser printer on it, and store various paper types on the shelf underneath

OP doesn't say exactly what kind of Okidata printer he has, but I have a Microline 192 where the tractor feed can actually take paper up through a hole in the bottom of the printer. This means that the platform you set the printer on has to have a slot as well for the paper to feed through. Used to be that printer stands with slots in them were common.

I have lots of DM printers and they all have enough clearance under the printer itself to allow for the paper to smoothly enter the entrance slit on the bottom of the printer without using some auxiliary device or stand to facilitate this operation.
    ☀☀☀ Visit Take Another Step for both computer and non-computer related discussions. ☀☀☀

If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen

I have found some at Goodwill.