Image Map Image Map

Thread: Morrow 8088 (Pivot II?) Portable computer

Default Morrow 8088 (Pivot II?) Portable computer

I stumbled across this page today, as I was trying to determine if an old, lunchbox style portable has any value.
    I purchased this computer 20-25 years ago at a user group meeting auction. I though one day I would play around with it, but that day hasn't come around yet. May be time to let it go!

It's not perfect, but at the time I purchased it, it was stated that it would work. However, I don't have the proper AC adapter, nor the battery pack. It is also missing the rear cover. It has 2 360k floppy disk drives, 640kb ram, and built-in 1200 bps modem. Hopefully, my pictures will upload.

Anyone know if it has any value?

Thanks,
    Bob Patterson

btw, I purchased one of the original IBM Personal Computers back in 1981, along with a few other IBM PCs long ago.
    IMG_20180111_124200.jpgIMG_20180111_124128.jpgIMG_20180111_124138 (2).jpgIMG_20180111_124230.jpgIMG_20180111_124243.jpgIMG_20180111_124306.jpgIMG_20180111_124316.jpgIMG_20180111_124335.jpgIMG_20180111_124344.jpg

Sure it has value. IT does to me anyway. I see the battery pack is gone. Does the unit boot? Does it have a power adapter? I love luggables and lunchbox style computers. I mean this isn't a rare and prized unit, but it still has value.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Sure it has value. IT does to me anyway. I see the battery pack is gone. Does the unit boot? Does it have a power adapter? I love luggables and lunchbox style computers. I mean this isn't a rare and prized unit, but it still has value.
    Thanks for the speedy reply!
    I believe it needs a 12V 3amp center positive adapter. Seems like years ago I had a flexible adapter somewhere, but who knows where it is these days. I see ebay has some adapters starting around $6 shipped, but will the tips be the proper size?

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I thought I replied earlier, but it seems to have vanished. I do not recall ever booting this machine up. No battery pack, and no AC adaptor. I was checking around the house (and barn) to see if I had an adaptor that matched the specs, 12V with 3amp output, positive center post. Not sure if I can find one, but hopefully something will turn up.

If it still works, maybe $20-$40, ballpark.

It's closely related to the Zenith Z-171, except the latter has a backlit screen with 80x25 characters, compared to the non-backlit screen of 80x15 of the Morrow. You might want to research what the going prices are for that system as well.

I've noticed quite a bit of interest in the Morrow name on eBay. I don't recall seeing one of these on eBay in a while, so I am not sure what one would go for. This early oddball PC clone is certainly of interest to collectors.

But the poor cosmetic condition, lack of completeness, lack of software/manuals, and untested status really hurts the value.

Since that is a simple DC power source, I would hunt down a compatible power brick and see if it at least starts up and gets as far as asking for a disk.

As mentioned above, if you mention roughly where you are located you might be able to find someone locally that is interested. Then you would not have to worry about shipping hassle, shipping costs, or eBay's massive fees. (Perhaps someone locally can provide a boot disk?)

I am near Lexington, KY. It would be nice to see if it would still boot up.