Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should I pay for a vanilla Zorba portable computer on craigslist?

If he wants that price, then he should simply sell it on eBay and ship it to some rich guy in China.

What I see is a computer that is broken.

"Former owner said it was working last time he fired it up, but hasn't been tested."
    Translated: " I powered it up and it didn't work, so I'll list it as untested since no one can prove otherwise."

I have a couple of Zorbas. One is a Zorba 2000 I won on eBay. Worked fine for about an hour after I turned it on, then it started smoking. Turned out to be a short in the video circuitry that took out the power supply.

$375 for a Zorba that's proven to be working with software would be top dollar. One that hasn't be demonstrated to work is worth maybe $75.

That kind of pricing reminds me of the sellers on eBay that ask $1400 for a "RARE!!!" xt system that includes mono monitor & 2 floppy drives.

One of my pet peeves is when they say a system is untested because they don't have a power cord to go with the machine. That might fly for a laptop, but desktops (as well as most monitors) have used the same flipping cord since before IBM marketed the PC. I probably have a dozen spare cords right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    That kind of pricing reminds me of the sellers on eBay that ask $1400 for a "RARE!!!" xt system that includes mono monitor & 2 floppy drives.

One of my pet peeves is when they say a system is untested because they don't have a power cord to go with the machine. That might fly for a laptop, but desktops (as well as most monitors) have used the same flipping cord since before IBM marketed the PC. I probably have a dozen spare cords right now.
    IBM? The Apple II uses that too from 77, I'm sure others from the mid 70's use that cord too. There is no excuse. I'm sure you guys are right that its probably broken. Hell I have a bag full of at least 15 spare power cords.

"Rare" what's rare is an honest seller not trying to rob you. On a side rant I have a similar complaint..I live in new England and we don't have junk stores anymore! They switched thier names to "antique shops" and now everything that used to be junk is a rare antique! I Call Shenanigans!

Blog Entries

I have a few large garbage bags full of power cords. One day I hope to get them to the recycler.

There's a few things that will influence the offer I put in for something. I'll look at ebay and see how much they've sold for. I'll also take into consideration the condition (working or not, cracks in plastic, scratches). If I really want the item, I'll put in an offer that lets them know I'm serious (usually $75-125).

Someone in my area currently has a Sharp PC-7000 up for sale with "please contact" on it for the price. They go on Ebay for around $30-$50, so I offered him $50. "That's wayyy too low for it's shape and the original documentation blah blah blah". A month later and it's still up for sale. I know of better computers I could spend hundreds of dollars on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bungo Pony View Post
    There's a few things that will influence the offer I put in for something. I'll look at ebay and see how much they've sold for. I'll also take into consideration the condition (working or not, cracks in plastic, scratches). If I really want the item, I'll put in an offer that lets them know I'm serious (usually $75-125).

Someone in my area currently has a Sharp PC-7000 up for sale with "please contact" on it for the price. They go on Ebay for around $30-$50, so I offered him $50. "That's wayyy too low for it's shape and the original documentation blah blah blah". A month later and it's still up for sale. I know of better computers I could spend hundreds of dollars on.
    yeah, had that "dance" with sellers too many times. Even with the if/when it doesnt sell please remember me, im serious about my offer line.. they never call back,.. they list it for months.. I suppose there ego is slowly getting hurt. Plus why does everyone assume us collectors are rich.... as is we throw away soo much money on our hobby...... My wife knows I like it... but im sure it bothers her too. Were not made of money, and for the most part this stuff it junk to most people.