Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I pay for a vanilla Zorba portable computer on craigslist?

Default What should I pay for a vanilla Zorba portable computer on craigslist?

I found a zorba portable on craigslist :https://eugene.craigslist.org/sys/6436146254.html
    no options, no disks or manuals. Just the unit in fair condition with no apparent damage. Just for reference what would you guys pay for it?

Thanks

Blog Entries

Why not just make an offer for what you think the system's worth?

If it's declined, then you know that the item, at least for you, is overpriced.

Valuation of collector's items is extremely subjective. To me, the Zorba has no use other than, perhaps as a source for spare parts.

You are right, like art the value is dictated by how much value it has to you. For me $50 to $125 depending on functionality it's just an issue when people rely on what uninformed eBay sellers list at.I mean you can pick any number out of the air, it doesn't make it correct. Why has no compendium of prices been made for this stuff. Comic books have buying guides.

Blog Entries

Because, even among collectors, value isn't consistent. A ZX-80 to a PC collector doesn't mean much.

Offer what you're willing to spend on it. That's also the way I do my eBay bidding--I set my snipe for whatever I think is a fair price and then go away. If someone out-bids me, fine--obviously that person thinks more of the item than I do.

Question uno: what do I want to pay?

Question duo: is the guy likely to bend to my will seeing what he wants for it?

It's a neat little unit. I had my chances years ago. I had to concentrate on other things that interested me more. It's peculiar, even unique, although I don't know that much about it. If I were in the market, I'd say I'd pay 150$. Perhaps as high as 2 shekels. It's much less fun to overpay.

200 is overpaying. But if you want it bad enough.

Well, the eBay prices have been a little high, recently two each for ~300: https://www.ebay.com/sch/Vintage-Com...H_Sold=1&rt=nc
    But that is eBay with the entire planet bidding, and I can't tell if that first one is actually comparable. Might be where he is getting the asking price.

I don't believe those are too uncommon, I seem to recall those pop up on eBay from time to time. Such an odd name.

Still that $375 asking price is way too high for craigslist, local pickup, no software, and untested.

My rough guess would be $100-$150, but a better salesman might convince one to go higher.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I found a zorba portable on craigslist :https://eugene.craigslist.org/sys/6436146254.html
    no options, no disks or manuals. Just the unit in fair condition with no apparent damage. Just for reference what would you guys pay for it?

Thanks
    That sounds high, to me. Three years ago, I paid $120 (including shipping) on Epay for a Zorba, which turned out to have a dead power supply. Make him an offer.

yeah I tried, he wouldnt budge from 375. He kept saying ebay pricing is spot on and he has a business on ebay. ( I had a bussiness on eBay for years, I shipped thousands of computers.... eBay prices are BLOATED). Anyway I was polite, I even told him I was starting this thread to get other peoples unbiased opinions (not to be cocky but rather to teach and explain eBay is NOT the place to go for pricing) in the End he wouldnt budge a dollar. He isnt going to sell it at $375, its not like an IMSAI 8080, there isnt a demand, its just a "unique" and "neat" example of the early 80's portable fad.

But in truth if it was the higher end model, the Zorba 2000 with the larger Yellow CRT, maybe an 8088 board so you can run DOS... Yeah Id pay $200 for that... but no more. Its not like Id use it, I can use my IBM 5160 today, a CPM machine is just neat,, it doesnt have a real use though.

All you can do in situations like that is to say: "when you're willing to sell it for X, please contact me".