Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I like cereal

Softboilt eggs are easy. It's the poached variety I can't seem to master (probably because I just don't give it enough effort.)

I (perfectly) fried an egg in the toaster oven yesterday (the one I've used to heat treat tool steel in the past). I wish I'd made a video. I may have to do that again.

Get yourself a bread machine. You will never regret it. Get one now before you can't buy a good one anymore. They've lost their trendiness so it's only a matter of time before they are made with 1975 Stereo 8 build quality.

Or get weirdly ambitious and bake bread in a Weber like I do.

Blog Entries

Crack an egg into a piece of cling (saran) wrap, sprayed with a bit of oil, and form a pouch. Hold the top and dunk it in boiling water until the white cooks. Presto-perfect poached egg.

I make bread the way grandma did--in a big earthenware bowl with yeast and flour and muscle power, followed by two rises and oven baking. It's very therapeutic.

I'm pretty sure I tried that; not sure what went wrong. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. It's been a few years.

KIMG1238.jpg
    A 4# loaf of my Beer and Onion bread baked on a pizza stone in a 27" Weber. Kingsford charcoal and applewood for flavour. I use my wife's KitchenAid Artisan because I just think it doesn't get used enough.
    Last edited by KC9UDX; January 12th, 2018 at 03:39 PM.

what are the particulars regarding beer and onion bread. What type of beer do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    what are the particulars regarding beer and onion bread. What type of beer do you use?
    Hofbräu Winter Spezial (at least I think that's what it is; not near the beer fridge right now). The kind of beer you use greatly affects the flavour of the bread, but the bread doesn't end up tasting like the beer.

I don't have my recipe handy, but I think I put in a full bottle of beer for every 2# of bread. I started with a plain white bread recipe and slowly changed things. The first thing I did was deduct 12oz of water and milk from the recipe for the beer (start by eliminating all milk). That works. But you can change the amount of leavening and sugars too, due to the beer. As with any recipe, start with a working one and change things a very little at a time.

I get a lot of really good compliments from people about my Beer & Onion bread. It really is good. Lots of onion!

leavening = yeast?

What do eat it with? Just give me some particulars, I realize the answer could be "anything". Sound yumsum.

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    leavening = yeast?

What do eat it with? Just give me some particulars, I realize the answer could be "anything". Sound yumsum.
    I typically eat one slice (just fits in the toaster oven and 1.5" thick) as a meal (that's enough food for me for a whole day), toasted, with butter. But this bread is okay without being toasted, and doesn't really need butter.

In this case, the leavening is yeast. I'll post the recipe when I get an opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I typically eat one slice (just fits in the toaster oven and 1.5" thick) as a meal (that's enough food for me for a whole day), toasted, with butter. But this bread is okay without being toasted, and doesn't really need butter.

In this case, the leavening is yeast. I'll post the recipe when I get an opportunity.
    That's enough food for me to make it from the toaster oven to the refrigerator. To get the butter. It needs butter if I'm going to eat it. And yes please post the recipe. I warn you I do have to eliminate bread from my diet if I'm going to lose weight. Bread, cheese, candy, soda, cakes, cookies. And eat lots of yumyum veggies, like stir fry. I do love veggies, I just don't eat enough of them. I was a vegetarian for 6 years. But a total cheater. I ate more calzones (cheese) then anything else!

You'd be surprised about good bread without butter. This recipe isn't even the best example. I've made breads that adding butter actually takes away from the bread.

If you make your calzonies with "American cheese" or "Government cheese", it's still vegetarian. Those are vegetable products.

Oh and Burger King doesn't advertise it anymore, but they have a super secret menu that still includes Triple Whoppers (separate or as a meal). They won't make Quadruple Whoppers though; I asked.

KIMG0001(1).jpg
    Last edited by KC9UDX; January 13th, 2018 at 02:09 AM.

I didn't mean cheating as in violating my ethic. I meant not being a "real" veg, instead glomming non vegetable matter. No gubmint cheez in my calzones. Pure mozzarella.

I happen to like Burger King, always have. It's really the best tasting fast food burger IMHO. I think it may have something to do with their mayonnaise, amongst other things. I happen to be a huge fan of mayonnaise, but just not as much as my sister. She gave me half her sandwich the other day and it was squishing out the sides. That's just too much. I heard the germans dip their freedom fries in MAYONNAISE. EWWWWWW. Catsup for me, and make it Heinz. But steering back on topic, I love whoppers, not sure I want to stack em high with meat though. It's the veggies and the mayo that makes the difference. And the alleged flame broiled burger product.

Butter just always adds deliciousness. Let's agree to disagree on that one. My mum used to give me butter and grape jelly on italian bread when I was a kid. I think it was a Brooklyn thing. Not sure I'd enjoy it anymore, but as a kid I loved it. And spinach mixed with mached potatoes, will always love that. Still despise liver, they tried to tell me it was steak when I was 4. I never bought it. And my mother used to eat tongue and perhaps even sweet breads (brains). O man, I just heave at the thought.