Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I like cereal

Default I like cereal

You could call me a serial cereal eater. I like multiple bowls, insanely big bowls of Captain Crunch, Raisin Bran, Corn Flakes, Honey and Nut O's. All other kinds. And hot cereal too. Oat meal, Cream of Wheat, good ol grits. Hot cereal requires sugar. All of it requires milk. I bought 2% this time. I need to start a diet, and though I constructed a successful diet years ago where I allotted 2 big bowls of cereal for breakfast, I probably won't go that route this time. What am I to do. Aw shucks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    . . . What am I to do. Aw shucks.
    Try steak and eggs for breakfast.

I'm getting the idea that the rants section has outlived it's usefulness.

You're just mad because I made you hungry and there's no cereal in the house. Am I right about it?

Switching from Whole (what is it, 3%?) to 2% will cause your body to try to store more fat to make up the difference.

I never figured out putting milk and sugar in oatmeal. If it didn't take so long to make, and make such a mess, I'd be tempted to eat it all the time.

After more than a decade, the grocery store I go to started stocking Total and I was able to buy a box last week. What a rip off though. One box is only two bowls of cereal.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Quote Originally Posted by 2icebitn View Post
    You're just mad because I made you hungry and there's no cereal in the house. Am I right about it?
    Cereal thrilla! Serious killa!
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Total is good. Wheaties too. Not particularly a fan of those flavas that have those hard little marshmallows. Lucky Charms, etc. Nor the type that turn your milk into brown goo. I do like to drink up the sugary sweet milk after all the cereal is gone though. Grits and CoW are my favorite hot cereals though.

And I have a confession - I'm cheap and I buy generics. For instance I don't even lile Kellogg's CFs unless you throw some bananas in. I actually like generic cfs better. But you can't get pure imitation Captain Crunch anywhere. I won't even attempt to consume Shop Rite's CC again, but it's been years, maybe they've worked out the bugs. It was disgusting that's all I know. Wegmanns used to have primo CC. All I can find (in a box) is crunch berries. But hey I'll live. There is or was that Maltomeal crap. I may have had it once, didn't win any rave reviews from me.

Blog Entries

I take a handful of rolled oats, add enough water to cover it and microwave for about a minute and a half. Done. In lieu of sugar, I add raisins or prunes.

I like to take Steel Cut Oatmeal, add 2x water and bring to boil. Lower heat to simmer and reduce to desired consistency. Transfer to bowl and stir in one container of greek yogurt - I prefer Tillamook but have had good success with Chobani. Add pistachios or cashews or almonds and dried fruit to taste. Excellent meal, reasonably healthy and will stay with you for hours.

The generics have gotten really good in recent years. I don't see any pernt in buying the brand name ones anymore (well, the generics are Malt-O-Meal brand now). In the now distant past, the generics were bad to disgusting.

Microwaving oats in a disposable container would alleviate the time and mess issues. But I can't see owning a microwave oven just for that. And I seem to recall having to use the "quick" oats in the microwave, which weren't as good.