Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I like cereal

Poke a pinhole in the egg's fat end to avoid cracking due to sudden expansion from the heat gradient.

There are cheap devices at the store to do this if you're no good with pins.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    You failed to mention the third and probably most important component of this process... a brain to coordinate the two you mentioned.
    Surely the most important element is the toast soldiers? An egg's no good without something to dip in it.

Isn't that what fingers are for?
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

Blog Entries

Dunno--I set my induction cooker for 100C and 4 minutes. Soft-boiled eggs don't usually need a pinhole, but you're right about hard-boiled ones. I learned that from Julia Child many years ago--makes them much easier to peel.

Not the way I do them... and they're the BEST!

Put the eggs in a pot of cold water.

Bring the eggs to a boil and turn the heat off immediately.

Wait exactly 10 minutes.

Rinse the eggs in ice water.

They will peel really easily and have soft, creamy yolks.

Quote Originally Posted by gronos View Post
    Man don't be eating Kashi Go Lean cereal, they should have called it Colon Blow. Seriously, it's bad news. Tasty cereal but not worth the after effects.

Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    Surely the most important element is the toast soldiers? An egg's no good without something to dip in it.
    White rye toast with my softies. Preferably a jewish variety.

I once bought fake raisin bran from Target over 10 years ago. I kept running to the latrine. Icarumba did that crap bend me over, nearly in knots. The boss sent me home, it was like 10am. Needless to say I don't buy raisin bran from Target anymore.

They taught us how to poke holes in eggs in grammar school. I used to suck the innards out. I just felt there was something cool about an evacuated egg. Thanks for the hot tip. Now I can finally make my own softies. I think I'll make 4 or 5 for dinner. But alas no white rye on hand.

Blog Entries

There's a similar technique for making chicken soup. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, drop the whole chicken in and wait for the water to come to a boil again. Turn off the heat, cover, and come back in an hour. The chicken will be cooked and ready for de-boning.