Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst case scenario plugging an LCD monitor (non-multisync) to Amiga 500

Default Worst case scenario plugging an LCD monitor (non-multisync) to Amiga 500

I've got an Amiga 500 that I'd like to get going again. I've always used the A520 RF modulator to display to a TV set but I don't have one anymore.

So I've been reading online about hooking up the Amiga to an LCD computer monitor. I've read that a multisync monitor *should* work as they will run at 15 kHz from an RGB analog signal (re: http://15khz.wikidot.com/).

So all I need is an RGB to VGA adapter (passive) and a multisync monitor (please correct me if I'm wrong).

So to my question. I've got a few non-multisync monitors (LCD). If I plugged the Amiga to these monitors, will it actually destroy the monitors?

FYI, some of the datasheets that I read from some of the monitors listed in the above link (e.g. NEC) don't officially support a 15 kHz Hsync rate. So I'd like to save myself from having to try multiple multisync monitors in order to get one that works.

Hope someone can help.
    Thanks.

Blog Entries

No, at least not for the LCD monitors that I've used. At worst, you'll get an "Out of Range" message displayed.

CRT monitors, on the other hand, are a different matter.

I don't know if you will destroy the monitor, but it isn't a good idea. I'm not sure about the Amiga, but I know RGBI signals are TTL, 5 volts. VGA signals are 1 volt or less. I don't know if LCD monitors typically have over-voltage protection build in. There are some projects you can read about on this board that convert RGBI to analog RGB and then use a Gonbes 8200 or 8220 to convert to VGA. The Amiga might already be Analog RGB in which case you would only need the Gonbes unit or something similar. If you look around this board you will find various options.
    PCjr, DTK PC-XT Turbo, 386DX 33, 486 laptop, Pentium 120, Pentium III 500, various old laptops, Commodore Colt, all working. I also have a 286 that I need to see if I can repair.

Blog Entries

Most LCD monitors are 5V tolerant.

Hi Chuck, KenEG,

So, I read online that the signals that I would want are the RGB analog signals (and not the RGBI signals). Apparently the digital signals only offer a limited number of colours compared to the analog signal. It's funny because none of the advice I see online about making a RGB to VGA adapter refers to voltage levels on the signals. So I'm assuming that the voltage levels coming out of the Amiga are 0 to 0.7 V (what's acceptable going into VGA).

I wish there was a resource (similar to the link above) which says, this Amiga, works with this adapter, works with this monitor. That way, we at least have something that says, this will work.

P.s. I just the manual for my HDTV and it has got composite video input. So I believe I can get RCA video cable and plug into the Amiga "mono(chrome)" and the composite video input on my TV. I can at least get some form of output from the computer.

Oh and another thing, is the Gonbes necessary?

If you find ANY LCD monitor that will sync up to the 15Khz you will have done better than I. I have a bunch of LCD monitors, and CRT types too, and NONE of them will sync to 15KHz. I know there are some that will do it, but it seems they are quite rare. I have never damaged anything trying it though.

This is what I use to connect standard monitors to my Amiga 500. It's better than the RF modulator, and cheaper, but not as good as a compatible monitor. You will need a DB23 female connector to hook up to the Amiga. Those can be had on eBay, but they are $$. I just sawed the last two pins off of a DB25 connector.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Game....c100011.m1850

Blog Entries

LCDs intended as replacements for videogame and PLCs will do 15KHz very nicely, but are expensive as heck.

OTOH, there are LCD monitors that can get down to EGA frequencies.

Some of the older NEC professional LCD monitors may get down to 15KHz--I haven't checked the specs, however.

Quote Originally Posted by fatwizard View Post
    If you find ANY LCD monitor that will sync up to the 15Khz you will have done better than I. I have a bunch of LCD monitors, and CRT types too, and NONE of them will sync to 15KHz. I know there are some that will do it, but it seems they are quite rare. I have never damaged anything trying it though.

This is what I use to connect standard monitors to my Amiga 500. It's better than the RF modulator, and cheaper, but not as good as a compatible monitor. You will need a DB23 female connector to hook up to the Amiga. Those can be had on eBay, but they are $$. I just sawed the last two pins off of a DB25 connector.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-Game....c100011.m1850
    That's a really nice option, and I may buy one for myself. I've got 3 Amiga computers, and I have to haul out my CRT everytime I want to hook them up. I'm always worried that one day my one monitor will just crap out.

I think your chances of finding an LCD monitor that will take a 15kHz signal is much more likely in Europe where many TVs included SCART connections that broke out the analog RGB signals. Here in North America there were very few systems that output this format.

I have a couple dell ST models that display at 15khz.. ..can usually pick them up for between 25 and 75 bucks...

Here's a thread..

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=85693

Or just Google up `amiga dell st` and should find what ya need.