Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What the heck does this switch on my kaypro2000 do?

VERAULT, try this one: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/332509410759 The main thing is that it does 7.5VDC at 2 amps.

thanks snuci, I can see that one. Is SomeGuy right, are the polarities reverses for the kaypro 2000 barrel jack?

Thanks for posting the picture of the powersupply, I'll print that label out and put it on mine.

Yes, the center post is ground (negative). You can, and should, sanity test this yourself by doing a continuity test between pin 7 of the serial port (ground) and the center pin of the power socket on the back. There will be full continuity. Note that the metal shield around the serial port may not be grounded.

I can't find a graphic of that off hand, so here is some quick ascii art

Code:
        /---\
    + --| O---- Ground/Negative
        \---/

7.3 VDC 2 AMP
    Last edited by SomeGuy; January 13th, 2018 at 09:35 AM.

yep, i have continuity between pin 7 and centerpole..... Terrible engineering. Anyway, further tinkering is going to have to wait I accidentily blew the SFE9 fuse in the ext battery pack and I dont have any more. I might have some 5 amp ceramic ones somewhere though....

BTW snuci I bought that adapter.....

Let me know how it works out. I'm interested in finding out if there are any operating problems at 6v, or if 7.5v is too much "7.3v" seems oddly specific - I'll let you let your magic smoke out

If that Kaypro 2000 got a lot of use then the internal battery would certainly be dead, even if it was always used with wall power.

It would be an interesting project to see if a "modern" rechargeable battery of some type could be fitted in the compartment and wired in. It would certainly be a lot lighter, and might even run longer.

Guess Ill be the guinea pig...... YAY! Yeah Im just going to get the voltage and reverse the polarity and fire up the new AC and hope for the best (I mean its a cool laptop, but its certainly not my prized possesion)

I was toying with the notion of building a new battery pack for 6.5V for it. I only attempted to do that 10 or so years ago with very bad results so I havent tried anything like that since.

I mean this thing uses huge lead acid gel batteries. Can I just use a similar size 6 volt setup with modern lithium packs and thier own charging circuit rather than reinvent the wheel. All documentation says this thing doesnt even have it own power circuit, its all just direct wired in.

Quote Originally Posted by snuci View Post
    VERAULT, try this one: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/332509410759 The main thing is that it does 7.5VDC at 2 amps.
    snuci the adapter I bought off ebay was delivered in less than 48 hours! Looking forward to testing it this weekend.

IMG_20180119_144918265.jpgIMG_20180119_144958462.jpgIMG_20180119_144944197.jpg

So the adapter arrived that I bought off ebay. And it came in an amazon box, dont you love that when you realize you could have found it cheaper on amazon and you paid someone else extra money for no reason!?
    Anyway, I couldnt see it on the ad when I ordered it but the multi tips are not reversible! They ahve a thicker post for postive. Luckily I have an old 80's or 90's radio shack multi tip from an old universal psu I used to have and both posts are the same. I set the unit to 7.5Vdcs and tested it and the kaypro 2000 posts with only the AC adapter! YAY. The tip isnt perfect though so I am going to contact the seller, as much good as that will do. I hate how they dumb these things down so you lose functionality. I dont care if someone blows thier electronics because they didnt check polarity! dont punish me for it!

https://www.amazon.com/CUGLB-Regulat.../dp/B01CFJH2U4 I paid $7.82 More! Damned stupid impulse buys!