Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DOS 6.22 Copy Command & device

Blog Entries

I'm a little confused by the term "stops".

Do you mean that the XT really stops (i.e. hangs) or just that it exits to the command prompt? If the latter, gslick is probably on the right track.

Stops means that the IBM XT stops receiveing and creates and saves the file. I'll check the paper tape for a ctrl z, but shouldn't the /b, for binary file allow the ctrl z to pass as data? Mike

I just gave this a try on MS-DOS 6.22 (running in a VirtualBox VM, quicker than powering up a PC plus another device for a serial data stream).

C:\>COPY COM1: TEST1
    1 files(s) copied

Terminated on CTRL-Z in serial data stream

C:\>COPY COM1: TEST2 /B
    1 files(s) copied

Terminated on CTRL-Z in serial data stream

C:\>COPY COM1: /B TEST3
    Cannot do binary reads from a device
    0 files(s) copied

C:\>COPY /B COM1: TEST4
    Cannot do binary reads from a device
    0 files(s) copied

-Glen

I have just come to the same conclusion via a different route.

The /B (binary) switch is associated with the preceding file name and subsequent files (i.e. I think the command you gave told DOS not to store the end of file marker in the binary disk file it was creating - but still terminates on ^Z).

You need a 'proper' file transfer program...

Dave

Blog Entries

...you mean one such as "Procomm Plus"?

...and dropping back to the DOS prompt isn't "stopping'. It's doing what the utility is supposed to do. The system doesn't stop--it continues to run as expected.

Casting my memory back many years, to get large files transferring to a printer using DOS services, we not only had to implement the hardware handshaking (a.k.a flow control) lines, but we also had to use the MODE command with a particular switch, one that makes it go resident.

Blog Entries

Yes, but we're talking about a speed of 10 cps (110 "baud"), something that an ASR-33 is quite capable of handling without handshaking.

You'll have to forgive me, but on the way back to the computer, my wife said the checkbook would not balance, so I had to figure that out. Then while I was de-ciphering that, a Nova program came on TV about Black Holes, which I can not avoid. Anyway, I think you are right, investigation makes it look like a ctrl z (1Ah) is stopping the read. So, I'll have to try something else. I believe that I have a ProComm program around here somewhere that I used for BB's a long time ago. Maybe that or Kermit might work. Well thanks for the help, maybe tomorrow I can do some more. Mike

Well..... in between going to church and watching football, I found my copy of ProComm, but it was for windows 3. The computer I'm using only has DOS 6.22 on it. The next program I found was SmartCom II, but that only seems to work with the Hayes modem. So I went back to Kermit. Initially I was having problems with Kermit. For some reason it would ignore the leader/trailer and some of the data was not right. To keep it short, my file that I had copied to paper tape was corrupt and that accounted for the bad data. The reason Kermit was ignoring the leader/trailer was that I had a terminal emulation turned on that forced only 7 bits to be read. After struggling thru this, I finally got to consistently writing and reading files to and from paper tape. Just as an aside, the files I was using was the DEC Bin Loader routine. I also received and education on how the DEC 12 bit data was converted to an 8 bit tape and I relearned the BIN Loader format. Thanks for the help Mike.

Ken had asked my to post a couple pictures of the ASR33 keyboard. Apparently he is interested in making an emulation of the ASR. So here are a few shots from different angles so that the glare is at different places. IMG_1057.jpgIMG_1058.jpgIMG_1059.jpgIMG_1060.jpgIMG_1062.jpg Mike