Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biostar m5ala motherboard

Default Biostar m5ala motherboard

I've been looking at buying the biostar m5ala motherboard for an old gaming computer but i cant find any info on it.
    I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this board thanks for any info you can give me

Has any one used the biostar m5ala and if so what kind of problems did you have with it if any

thanks for the link but I had found the manual I was kind of looking for opinion on the motherboard

Hmm... supports AMD K6 AND K6-2 but only goes up to 100mhz... are you looking more for MS-DOS gaming or Windows 9x gaming? A Socket 7 board that only goes up to 100mhz? Seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisHuckins View Post
    Hmm... supports AMD K6 AND K6-2 but only goes up to 100mhz... are you looking more for MS-DOS gaming or Windows 9x gaming? A Socket 7 board that only goes up to 100mhz? Seems odd.
    It supports up to 100 MHz bus speed, not CPU clock.

The board supports up to a 5x multiplier (page 1-11), but it only specifies AMD K6/2 up to 350 MHz on page 1-13. This probably means it was only designed for up to 350 MHz CPUs and the higher multipliers are experimental or for overclocking.

Thanks for the replies I did buy it and it will support the k6-3 with bios update any how I think that is what I read some where. It seems to be an ok board nothing to great.

I did build It for some late dos games and early Windows 98 games and I'm still looking for a voodoo3 for the right price but for now I just stuffed a GeForce2 mx400 in it. The cpu I have in it right now is and old Pentium 233mmx overclocked to 300 and stable at 2.9volts I had to try 4 of them be for I found the right one.

I also put a small fan on the transistor with the big heat sink because it seem to run pretty warm for my liking.
    Resized_20180121_023705.jpg

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    It supports up to 100 MHz bus speed, not CPU clock.

The board supports up to a 5x multiplier (page 1-11), but it only specifies AMD K6/2 up to 350 MHz on page 1-13. This probably means it was only designed for up to 350 MHz CPUs and the higher multipliers are experimental or for overclocking.
    The board or its documentation could just be older then k6's over 350mhz.

I did go ahead and buy this motherboard if seems to be an ok board but nothing great right now I have a Intel 233mmx in it that I over clocked to 300 with just 2.9 volts and seems to be very stable I did try 4 different cpu's be for I landed on this one. I still am looking at possibly putting a amd k6-3 in it later I just don't own one yet

It will work with the k6-3 cpu with bios update from what I've read

Also I am building this for late dos and early Windows game and I'm still looking for a voodoo3 for the right price. I have a GeForce2 mx400 stuffed in it for video right now and I do have quite a few old video cards what would you guys stuff in it

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

With a k6-III+ the mx400 is a nice video card for latter 9x games. But the voodoo3 would be more in place with a mmx, k6-2 or a slower k6-3. That and you get glide support with the voodoo3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    The board or its documentation could just be older then k6's over 350mhz.
    This also could be the case, but there were many boards back in the day that while had multipliers for faster CPUs, did not work with them for one reason or another.

One example is the FIC PA-2013, there were two models of this board. The earlier revision 1.13 did not support 500MHz or faster CPUs due to a bug in the chipset, while the 1.15JITS revision does support 500 MHz or faster CPUs. Both boards have multipliers up to 5.5x and specify support for up to 550 MHz CPUs, but the 1.13 board will not work with the 500 MHz+ CPUs.

TYAN was also notorious for this. They'd release a board that claimed to support some CPU speed, and indeed you could set it up that way, but the board would be unstable or not POST. Some of their boards had multiple BIOS revisions for varying CPU speeds, so only specific CPUs would work with specific BIOS revisions.
    Last edited by GiGaBiTe; January 24th, 2018 at 12:04 PM.