Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Things you'd wish you didn't sell, lose, or break.

I regret parting with loads of things. Until recent years my collection was a lot more fluid with things coming and going (probably because until recent years vintage computing was a somewhat cheaper activity than it is now with things much more plentiful than they are now). 3 regrets particularly stick out for me though:

1) The single biggest regret is losing my Commodore 128D. I only paid 10 for it in 2006 and it worked perfectly. And by losing I mean literally losing it, I have no idea where, when or why I got rid of it and I assumed I still had it until I went looking for it in 2014 and it was nowhere to be found. One sold for 365 on ebay a couple of weeks ago and now I've started to flesh out my Commodore collection if I still had it it would have been a perfect rare addition to the collection (even the 8-bit guy doesn't have one). Absolutely gutted.

2) A close second is the final clearout I had in 2013 before I realised how collectable some of the stuff I had was and realised how attached to it I was. In that I threw away an IBM PS/2 model 50, an RM Nimbus PC-386/20 (the only one I've ever seen in my life) and an Amstrad PC2086S with 30MB hard card fitted. On that day of madness, I was going through a stack of PC systems and keeping the ones which still booted off the hard drives, and chucking those that didn't, without much attempt at anything to try and diagnose their faults and/or considering keeping them anyway for the sake of having them and/or parts. Utter madness.

3). A standard 16 Mhz RM Nimbus PC-386 and a PC-286 did survive the above clearout but when being a bit short of money in January 2014 I stuck the 386 on ebay, reasoning that I didn't really do any 386-ish stuff on it anyway and I would still have the PC-286 which was basically exactly the same machine but with a 286 CPU. It was distinctive as it had an unusual permanently attached power cable when they are supposed to be detachable (it was probably retrofitted with a PC-186 power supply which I think did have attached cables). I'm almost certain that the exact same machine has changed hands 2 or 3 times since on ebay for a lot more than I got for it. Luckily still have the PC-286 (although at one time I had 2 of them, but the second one went a long time ago) and that thing will go to the grave with me!

An honourable mention probably should go to my Toshiba T3200SX (in original carry case, in perfect working order). I Bought it at a car boot sale for 5 in 2001, sold it at another one for 10 in 2004. Thought it was a shrewd move at the time, doubling my money and all. What an idiot I was!

Beyond specific systems, I do regret parting with all the more mundane peripherals which I used to have a plethora of but don't any more. Things like basic 14" VGA CRT monitors which are perfect for 286/386 machines with standard VGA graphics. In contrast now most of the VGA-capable CRT's that are sold in working order and for a reasonable price are much newer 17" 1024x768 models which are completely OTT for an old 386 and don't look right with them (although still more in keeping than an LCD I suppose). That and 102 key keyboards without windows keys which are perfect fits for pre-Pentium machines. Heck I even used to have 3 or 4 model M's, only 1 left now.
    Last edited by cwathen; February 6th, 2018 at 10:24 AM.

I once had a NEC RISCstation 2250 and a AlphaStation 600 5/333 that I picked up for really really cheap. I ended up giving them both to a friend because I was too lazy to bring them with me when I moved to a new state. Been kicking myself in the ass ever since

I binned an IBM 5161 in the late 90's. Talk about regret. Is it a stupid and useless hobby? Perhaps, but don't many hobbies match that description? If you enjoy it, and you are not hurting anyone, then why not. If the wife complains, remind her you could have been into old cars.

My PS/2 p70. got it for $40 in 2008, and now i seldom see them for less than $200. It was one of my first retro systems, too...

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyBunnyFeet View Post
    I once had a NEC RISCstation 2250 and a AlphaStation 600 5/333 that I picked up for really really cheap. I ended up giving them both to a friend because I was too lazy to bring them with me when I moved to a new state. Been kicking myself in the ass ever since
    I will cry with you over both of those... I had an AlphaServer DS10 that I lost with my house... ran the Windows 2000 RC on that before they yanked the Alpha bits...
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161
    Modern Equipment: ThinkPad X61 * Alienware 15R3 Loaded

Blog Entries

My Logitech Modula-2 package, complete with the rectangular three-button Logitech mouse (serial of course).
    Torfinn

Oh boy here comes all of the regret from learning.

When I was about 5, I had a 12-year-old (likely a 1993) SEGA Game Gear. Few months passed and it died of bad caps and was thrown away.
    At the age of 15 I accidentally blew up a TI-99/4A trying to power it with an ATX PSU and use a handmade video cable. Not sure which part blew it but I think it was the video cable.
    I donated an HP Pavilion 8662C when I was 14, which was my first older machine, aside from my iMac G3 which was in storage at the time.
    I completely destroyed an (albeit already dying) Gateway Profile 4 at 13.
    I misplaced my Pokemon Yellow cartridge in 2014, misplaced my GBA SP in 2015, and misplaced my original GameBoy in 2016. None have been found (excluding the SP, which comes and goes).
    My iMac G3 is litterally only working because I regret beating it up so much when I was little.
    I gave away a broken Toshiba T1000LE (although the person that got it used it to figure out what was wrong with a bunch of other T1000 systems, so I like to think it went to a good cause)
    I gave away my Tandy 2800HD (stupid postman seems to have played football with it. I hope they broke their foot.)
    I broke my SEGA DreamCast by fixing it (long story. To make it as fast as I can, the disk drive was dying. If you turn a knob behind the laser it'll fix it. But then it will fail again. Eventually the knob stopped turning. Thus, I needed a new laser. Which cost about $20 more than a new DreamCast.)

That's all off of the top of my head, but I have more.
    Looking for working: ThinkPad 755CD w/P75, IBM PC110, Macintosh PowerBook 100, Tandy TRS-80 Model 100/101/102, any Compaq SFF 286/386/486

Blog Entries

I regret letting my Sun 3/80 go. At the time though they weren't that special and were painfully slow compared to contemporaries. I sent it to recycling, to add insult to injury!

I also regret letting the Tandy 1000s I ran my BBS from evaporate into the mists of time. One was an SX and the other I think was an RL. I have no idea what I did with them.. their job was taken by a 486 that could run two phone lines.

I also kind of wish I hadn't ditched our Panasonic 386 with paper white VGA monitor. That was our first VGA computer. Despite years of ebay searches I've never seen another one. Don't even know what the model name was.. Partner? Starting to wonder if it was real... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. 2110 View Post
    Oh boy here comes all of the regret from learning.

When I was about 5, I had a 12-year-old (likely a 1993) SEGA Game Gear. Few months passed and it died of bad caps and was thrown away.
    At the age of 15 I accidentally blew up a TI-99/4A trying to power it with an ATX PSU and use a handmade video cable. Not sure which part blew it but I think it was the video cable.
    I donated an HP Pavilion 8662C when I was 14, which was my first older machine, aside from my iMac G3 which was in storage at the time.
    I completely destroyed an (albeit already dying) Gateway Profile 4 at 13.
    I misplaced my Pokemon Yellow cartridge in 2014, misplaced my GBA SP in 2015, and misplaced my original GameBoy in 2016. None have been found (excluding the SP, which comes and goes).
    My iMac G3 is litterally only working because I regret beating it up so much when I was little.
    I gave away a broken Toshiba T1000LE (although the person that got it used it to figure out what was wrong with a bunch of other T1000 systems, so I like to think it went to a good cause)
    I gave away my Tandy 2800HD (stupid postman seems to have played football with it. I hope they broke their foot.)
    I broke my SEGA DreamCast by fixing it (long story. To make it as fast as I can, the disk drive was dying. If you turn a knob behind the laser it'll fix it. But then it will fail again. Eventually the knob stopped turning. Thus, I needed a new laser. Which cost about $20 more than a new DreamCast.)

That's all off of the top of my head, but I have more.
    When I was a little kid I took most of my toys apart to see how they worked. Am I to suspect this is why some of yours on this list are broke? Also, you seemed to "misplace" alot of stuff. Whats up with that?