Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Clearing out some IBM 4869-002 External drive boxes

Blog Entries

Default Clearing out some IBM 4869-002 External drive boxes

I bought these as part of a surplus buy (shipped UPS Hundredweight) years ago and scavenged the 5.25" drives and NEMA power cords from them. But otherwise, they're intact, with all original hardware and packaging. I've used a few as external drives--it's pretty simple to fabricate up a cable from your FDC to a DC37F cable. I'll even throw in a NEMA power cord.

Asking $30 each+shipping.

Do you have any with drives still in them?

Blog Entries

Nope, the drives have been scavenged years ago. Pretty much any 5.25" drive will fit--I even use some with 3.5" drives in adapters.

Can you post a photo?

They're nice looking units, but I'm trying to figure out what the heck I could use one for. I'm pretty sure I have an 8-bit FDC card around here with that connector on the back. I don't have any IBM PS/2 stuff around here, so I'm still not sure what I'd use it for.

IIRC, they could be used with for example the PS/2 Model 25 if you had the card to go with it?
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

I've been always curious since I've never seen one in real life. Are the enclosures made of the common ABS plastic or mostly metal?

Blog Entries

ABS with metal shielding inside. I"ll try to get some photos in the next couple of days. They're really well-constructed. The drive cable itself is a rather thick copper-braid shielded affair. The PSU is a switching model in its own metal cage.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I"ll try to get some photos in the next couple of days.
    Cool! standing by some pics

Blog Entries

Okay, here you go:

Shipping box:

As packed:

Bottom:

Front:

Inside:

Although imported, not your modern far east junk. There's some meat to this thing. The bottom is fastened with 8 screws--6 Phillips-head and 2 security Torx. The distribution of the removed Torx screws seems to be somewhat random, so one box has none, another had 4, etc. I'll try to make sure that everyone who order one of these gets the required 2, but no promises. The drive plug is a DC-37M with molded hood. I have a blog entry that shows how to swap the wires around on the drive end (it's a ribbon cable" to make for normal 2-drive wiring--it's not hard.