Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Clearing out some IBM 4869-002 External drive boxes

Blog Entries

I doubt it very much. It would make no sense to have special drives for just these rarely-used boxes. I'm sure that I would have read something about it.

Any chance of even a guesstimate to ship one to me? Only asking.

IBM PS/2 FDs are all jumpered Drive 1, the twist in the cable between Drive B: and Drive A: connectors is to cater for this.

Blog Entries

Depends, I imagine on the shipping method. I can probably get a quotation from Fedex, since I've shipped them domestically that way (Fedex ground is cheaper for this box than UPS or US mail). I'll have to add a bit for extra packaging as the boxes the units come in won't take much abuse.

I'll see what I can find out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come to more than USD$100.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I'll see what I can find out, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come to more than USD$100.
    Even so, we're not called the MAD (Microchannel Addicitive Disorder) men for nothing.

can you get a shipping quote to 23227 please? I might just have to get one and find out myself

You can ignore this now, if you'd prefer. A U.S.-based friend has got a 1.2MB bare drive for me, so I can convert my -001 to -002 capability. Sorry if you've gone to a lot of trouble thus far.

Blog Entries

Nope, not yet--I've got a lot on my "to do" list and this barely breached the bottom rung.

Thanks for letting me know.

Nope, not yet--I've got a lot on my "to do" list and this barely breached the bottom rung.

Thanks for letting me know.
    De nada, amigo. I'm very much in the same position - so much to do, so little time (and energy) available.

I recently acquired a 4869-001 with the 360kB drive in it. First thing I did was take it apart and buzz out the data cable. The factory wiring matched this image from minus zero degrees exactly.

Hooked it back up to the included 360kB drive and to my 5150 and it works a treat using DRIVER.SYS /D:3 /F:0 completely unmodified. Maybe the -002 version is wired differently? I know it requires a different FDC on the PS/2s that it was intended to be used with, so it may be wired oddly for that reason.

Blog Entries

I believe the -002s were designed to be plugged into the Diskette Adapter/A. Somewhere, I've got the pinout for the connector, but it's probably in the PS/2 techref.