Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New TestFDC Results Registry

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    I'd been trying to reach Dave Dunfield with new TestFDC results since apparently August (forum thread) with no results. So, I wrote a new TestFDC registry into my site:

https://services.theglitchworks.net/ng/testfdc_results
    I get a 404 error. Is your site still up?

That list never got updated anyway. I had submitted some new entries and as I recall the never got added.

Quote Originally Posted by TomL_12953 View Post
    I get a 404 error. Is your site still up?
    Sorry, moved to a new server and didn't update the redirect rules for that one. Here's the new link:

https://services.glitchworks.net/ng/testfdc_results

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    That list never got updated anyway. I had submitted some new entries and as I recall the never got added.
    It got updated and something happened to the DB, I still have all of the submissions, I just need to go back through and approve them/process the notes sections.

Ok, great. If adding new stuff will be working in the future, perhaps I'll get off my ass and test a few more things.

Now available as a plaintext export: https://services.glitchworks.net/ng/testfdc_results.txt

The linked plaintext export is dynamically generated and contains the same information as the HTML view. I finally got some testing done myself and have some new entries to get in this weekend!

Just finished integrating a tool that lets me do approvals in a less manual fashion -- I'd been doing it by hand in the DB until now. Better tools should mean faster/more frequent approvals!

Hey thanks for bumping this! Noticed my Win98 box's AP5T board was on the list and it motivated me to give it a run, and it supports FM on the built-in FDC like a freaking champ~!

(Also IMD works perfectly inside Win98SE GUI)

EDIT: actually while IMD works just fine, Win 98 REALLY didn't like me accessing the FDC directly without its knowledge. When I went back to access the drive through 98 it made some heinous seeks and bounced off the limiter (at this point I had a standard MFM DOS formatted disk in there and IMD was no longer running)
    Last edited by maxtherabbit; July 18th, 2020 at 07:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Simply set IMD to execute in real mode in Win98SE.

I've been meaning to share some research I did on good FDCs a while back.

Most enthusiasts know about the good NatSemi FDCs, but there were also good ones made by ALi (Acer Labs, Inc.). Their FDCs appeared in both their Super I/O chips and Southbridge chips. The southbridge chips with good FDC support are the M1535 and M1543, including variants (see below). These southbridges were paired with multiple generations of northbridges, thus it’s potentially possible to find a motherboard up to Socket 478 with good floppy support. In reality, I’ve not been able to find any beyond about Socket 370 however. ALi was overtaken by VIA and SIS after the Socket 370 era and lost market share. ALi’s later southbridges, M1563 and M1567, don’t have floppy support.

ALi also partnered with PC Chips, and several generations of their Aladdin chipsets were re-branded on PC Chips boards. Any of these PC Chips chipsets should have good ALi FDCs in their southbridge: BXcel, HX Pro, Super TX, TX Pro, TX Two, and GFXpro. I own a PC Chips M754LMR+ (GFXpro) and the FDC is great.

It's tedious to sort out all the various labels and generations of their southbridges -- for example, there were M1535, M1535+, M1535D, M1535D+, HT1535+, HT1535D+ -- but from what I can infer, any of them with a "3" or "4" as the 3rd digit should have the good FDC cores. For example, the GFXpro southbridge is HT2543CB1.

The Acer Super I/O chips are less documented (and I need to do more testing), but the M5105 was commonly found on ISA cards in the early ‘90s and has good floppy support. The Diamond Flower MIO-400KF cards I've come across use this chip and are often cheap on eBay.

Hope that helps people sort out their own stock and/or shop for boards with good FDCs.