Image Map Image Map
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Tek 405x web-browser emulator

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Philcogrump View Post
    I don't know if https://github.com/jonbstanley/Tek405xEmulator is a good place for these images, but you could make a fork from this master branch, create a new folder and add the tape images, then generate a pull request for me to bring it back into the master.
    Roland,

I have a fork of the emulator master branch - https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tek405xEmulator

I will create a different folder for each tape. Just upload a zip of each tape to your google drive share, and I'll download and copy it to github.

Then I'll send a pull request to get it added to the master branch, like I have been doing for my updates to the emulator.

Monty

2. Default Game of Life

I've been running my late 1970's Game of Life program (my Tektronix port of the 1978 Byte Magazine Life program).

Conway's Game of Life was published in 1970 in Scientific American - and was very popular to run in the 1970's computers as it was very compute intensive, but could run in a small memory footprint, and was educational and entertaining to explore.
    See the great wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life

My Life Program.jpg

I still have some bug if the Life cells get close to the edge of the screen - that I need to fix.

I also have been working on the Tektronix System Tape and translating German program tapes from Roland.

The System Tape PLOT50 files make heavy use of control characters to minimize file size including Ctrl-RUBOUT to get CR/LF instead of another PRINT statement.

The current emulator does not support Ctrl-RUBOUT as it is Ctrl-Underscore. I'm having issues trying to fix it - but making some progress.

I also added a RUBOUT key to the emulator - as you need to type CTRL-RUBOUT to get the right control character - so you can't use the RUBOUT edit key.
    You can use CTRL-DELETE, but that is not intuitive.

My fixes to the emulator for CTRL-RUBOUT and LIFE program are not quite ready to post, but I have uploaded my current edits to the emulator and the LIFE and PLOT50 program 7 to my branch of the emulator
    https://github.com/mmcgraw74/Tek405xEmulator

Monty
    Last edited by nikola-wan; April 23rd, 2018 at 04:22 AM.

I have started to disassemble the 4052 microcode tonight.

I have already learned quite a lot...

I shall have a look tomorrow between meetings at trying to understand the microcode fields I couldn't get my head around tonight. It is getting a little late in the UK...

Dave

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    I have started to disassemble the 4052 microcode tonight.

I have already learned quite a lot...

I shall have a look tomorrow between meetings at trying to understand the microcode fields I couldn't get my head around tonight. It is getting a little late in the UK...

Dave
    Dave,

That sounds great! Still no word on finding the 4052A assembler program or 4052 source code listing from my contact.

I also made progress on getting the emulator to accept Ctrl-Underscore. Now the emulator (my fork) runs the System Tape program 7 - which is a Y-Axis PLOT with a lot of Ctrl-Underscore in the PRINT statements for the menu.

Right now I've been playing with LIFE - and I want to double the number of cells to 40x40 from 20x20 - but the 4051 memory isn't big enough to simply increase the DIMENSION of the variables.

I may try changing the program storage from an array to strings to reduce the storage. That may have been what I originally coded in the LIFE port I did in the '70's.

The other change I would like to add to the emulator (until you guys figure out the 4052) is a Turbo start button that would increase the emulator speed 10x. LIFE really takes a while to compute each iteration - and 10x faster (changing the 6800 interval timer) is very helpful. However, when I speed up the emulator, the key presses get more difficult - and sometimes misses my typing. I need to check how the emulator processes keystrokes.

I also made progress with fixing my 4052 - I found the Display board had a shorted capacitor - which kept blowing the -20V power supply fuse. I put in one from a scrap board, and now it looks like I need to troubleshoot the 15V power supply - but the good news is the main fuse doesn't blow and the processor board is running and I can type PRINT "G" and get a beep out of the speaker.

So far all the issues have been power related and I've replaced two bridge rectifiers and that capacitor on the Display Board.

Monty