Image Map Image Map
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Tek 405x web-browser emulator

Quote Originally Posted by GanjaTron View Post
    Good on ya, Monty! I have a bunch of spare NiB 3M QICs waiting for Tek stuff. Looking forward to your repo uploads. Will also follow the file recovery thread. My apologies for keeping a low profile lately; too much crap (work) and no Tek (within reach).

P.S. Any news on that bizarre display problem on your '52?
    P.P.S. You're right; the forum's advanced editing tools are gone...

--Roland
    No progress on my 4052 display board issue. I did post on cctalk asking if anyone had a display board. Two responses - one from Pete - he has a 4051 and 4052 that have been outside for years - he would like someone that needs a display to get it. He said he sold the boards to someone in Europe

The other lead was a 2017 post with photos of getting a 4051 and accessories and boards. He had a photo of a 4051 Display Board which should work in my 4052 - but he hasn't responded to my email

I will be posting some recovered Tek 4050 games to github tonight - I haven't seen them before - they were on a couple of tapes I got from Al Kossow.

I'm also working on how to display some pictures on another tape - it only worked on the 4051 with the CALL "EXEC" command or the R12 Enhanced Graphics ROM pack.

I would love to find a 4052/54 R12 Enhanced Graphics ROM - or even the ROM binaries and I would make my own. There was even a 4052A/54A version.

That ROM Pack not only displays fast graphics - but also plays MUSIC!!

BTW - I fixed my forum editing issues - you need to click around that weird web page to get back to the classic forum view.

Monty

Someone mailed me the bitsavers link to the 4052R12 Graphics Enhancement ROM images - I made my own cartridge this past weekend.

I created a new thread for what I've been doing with the new cartridge:
    Tektronix-4051-and-4052-R12-Enhanced-Graphics-ROM-Pack

I'll be working to create a Tek BASIC program to display these images without needing this ROM cartridge.

Monty

I received a scan of the Graphics Enhancement ROM Pack instruction manual from Bob Rosenbloom and posted the link to the manual here:

Tektronix-4051-and-4052-R12-Enhanced-Graphics-ROM-Pack post 7

The 64 commands in this ROM Pack may be the Rosetta Stone we were looking for to understand the 4052/4054 microcode parameters, since there are four different CALLs for similar graphics functions - absolute, relative, graphic cursor and joystick cursor starting coordinates and scaling.

Looking at the code for these CALLs should give us main ROM entry points and the locations of scratch pad RAM.

The MUSIC and SOUNDS commands may also be easy to disassemble and understand.

The manual includes tutorial examples with resulting screenshots that should be helpful in understanding command operation.

I have created a program combining all the tutorial examples that I have uploaded to my github site archiving 4050 programs:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files

Monty
    Last edited by nikola-wan; August 5th, 2018 at 05:47 AM.

Default Tektronix 4052A/4054A Assembler for CALL EXEC command

Dave,

Good news and bad news:

The good news is I found the Tekniques Vol 6 No 4 T1 tape, and recovered the ASSEMBLER program file and companion TECO (DEC style text editor) program file.

I posted both files on my github 4050 program file archive site in a new folder for all the files I will be recovering from that tape, plus a PDF of the abstracts on that tape:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/TekniquesVol6No4-T1

Hopefully the ASSEMBLER file will give us more insight into the new 4052/4052 microcode instructions - particularly the parameters for those new instructions.

Check out the ASSEMBLER code starting in line 4010 and the DATA statements that follow.

Here is a snippet from the program - note the LDAG,D2 and LDAG,X4 instructions on line 4130.
    The way I read ",D2" is DIRECT addressing with two additional bytes, and ",X4" as EXTENDED addressing with four additional bytes.

4010 REM instruction formats --
    4020 REM 1: immediate
    4030 REM 2: direct
    4040 REM 3: extended
    4050 REM 4: indexed
    4060 REM 5: implied
    4070 REM 6: relative
    4080 REM 7: extended immediate
    4090 REM
    4100 REM opcodes are six characters followed by instruction format
    4110 REM
    4120 REM 00-07
    4130 DATA "TEST 5NOP 5...... SFA 5LDAG,D2LDAG,X4TAP 5TPA 5"
    4140 REM 08-0F
    4150 DATA "INX 5DEX 5CLV 5SEV 5CLC 5SEC 5CLI 5SEI 5"

Bad news - I spent last Thursday doing inventory of a museum collection of 34 book boxes full of Tektronix 4050 documentation - and although I found several other Tekniques tape documentation packages - I did not find the one for this tape, which reportedly listed BASIC entry points and documented use of the assembler

I hope these programs are helpful in understanding the Tektronix custom microcode in the 4052 and 4054.

I just uploaded a formatted listing of the ASSEMBLER program to that folder on github - more readable.

Monty
    Last edited by nikola-wan; September 2nd, 2018 at 11:37 PM.

Excellent news.

I will have a look when I get home.

I have come to a bit of a lull this week at work - so I might be able to have another look at my emulation again.

Full marks for your dedication in looking through 34 boxes...

I don't know whether you have seen Falter's post about his "Board Bucket" computer system? This looks to be the forerunner (in terms of development) for the 4051. I have just 'butchered' my 4051 emulation and got BASIC to run. A few problems remain yet, but it is almost there. The similarities to the BASIC of the 4051 are quite striking (when you combine it with a 4010 - or similar - Tek terminal)... The BASIC does have a rudimentray MOVE and PLOT command, so it would be interesting to get one of your graphic programs for the 4051 modified to work with this version of BASIC.

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by daver2; September 3rd, 2018 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    Excellent news.

I will have a look when I get home.

I have come to a bit of a lull this week at work - so I might be able to have another look at my emulation again.

Full marks for your dedication in looking through 34 boxes...

I don't know whether you have seen Falter's post about his "Board Bucket" computer system? This looks to be the forerunner (in terms of development) for the 4051. I have just 'butchered' my 4051 emulation and got BASIC to run. A few problems remain yet, but it is almost there. The similarities to the BASIC of the 4051 are quite striking (when you combine it with a 4010 - or similar - Tek terminal)... The BASIC does have a rudimentray MOVE and PLOT command, so it would be interesting to get one of your graphic programs for the 4051 modified to work with this version of BASIC.

Regards,

Dave
    Dave,

I did see falter's post on the Tektronix bit-bucket.

If his BASIC is closer to the 4010 or 4114 terminals - then one of my BASIC programs in this folder might be able to run:

Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/4114-Plot-Files

Monty

Monty,

Yes, I was looking at those graphic plot files. They are not directly usable - but a little bit of processing could make them suitable...

I have had a look at the assembler BASIC source code. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me any more than I already know !

I don't quite think your assessment is correct for the addressing modes, for example:

EORA,D2 is nothing more than than an existing 6800 instruction to exclusive or accumulator 'A' directly with a 1 byte immediate number in the range 0 through 255; and ADDG,X4 is not four extra bytes, but indicates indexed addressing with a single operand byte in the range 0 through 255.

The 2 and 4 is not two and four additional bytes - but just simply serves as a number to indicate the addressing mode (2=direct, 4=indexed). In the examples chosen above, this is duplicated by the ,D and ,X text anyhow.

I don't think the extended instructions have added any new addressing modes - it is just how the microcode treats the addressing mode itself. For example, you appear to be able to load a floating point value into the internal microcoded register with an indexed addressing mode. The index forms the address of the first byte of the floating point number. The microcode then loads subsequent bytes from the specified address to satisfy the floating point register. The addressing mode hasn't changed - it is just the interpretation of how the addressing mode is used by that specific instruction.

I hope the above makes sense?

Dave

Default Tekniques Vol 7 No 4 T2 tape files including 4051 ASSEMBLER

Quote Originally Posted by daver2 View Post
    Monty,

Yes, I was looking at those graphic plot files. They are not directly usable - but a little bit of processing could make them suitable...

I have had a look at the assembler BASIC source code. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me any more than I already know !

I don't quite think your assessment is correct for the addressing modes, for example:

EORA,D2 is nothing more than than an existing 6800 instruction to exclusive or accumulator 'A' directly with a 1 byte immediate number in the range 0 through 255; and ADDG,X4 is not four extra bytes, but indicates indexed addressing with a single operand byte in the range 0 through 255.

The 2 and 4 is not two and four additional bytes - but just simply serves as a number to indicate the addressing mode (2=direct, 4=indexed). In the examples chosen above, this is duplicated by the ,D and ,X text anyhow.

I don't think the extended instructions have added any new addressing modes - it is just how the microcode treats the addressing mode itself. For example, you appear to be able to load a floating point value into the internal microcoded register with an indexed addressing mode. The index forms the address of the first byte of the floating point number. The microcode then loads subsequent bytes from the specified address to satisfy the floating point register. The addressing mode hasn't changed - it is just the interpretation of how the addressing mode is used by that specific instruction.

I hope the above makes sense?

Dave
    Dave,

Drat - I was hoping the 4052A assembler program would help

I just recovered the 4051 assembler program files from the Tekniques Vol 7 No 4 T2 tape.

There were five files (File40 through File44) for the 4051 Assembler - that need to be copied to an empty tape starting with File1 before running.
    First file loads File 2 into a string and then does CALL "EXEC" on that string. The REMARK in line 1 indicates "4051 DDT 51.7" which sounds like File 2 is DDT 51.7 debugger?
    3rd, 4th and 5th files are assembly program examples.

Here is the comments at the beginning of File 3:

* 4051 ASSEMBLER EXAMPLE PROGRAM
    * TO TRY THE ASSEMBLER PREFORM THE FOLLOWING OPERATIONS :
    *(1)FROM BASIC - PUSH "AUTO LOAD" KEY : THIS LOADS DDT DEBUGGER.
    *(2)AFTER DDT PROMPT APPEARS ON SCREEN TYPE "3H" : THIS FINDS MAG
    * TAPE FILE # 3.
    *(3)AFTER SYSTEM FINDS FILE # 3 TYPE "}" : THIS STARTS ASSEMBLING
    * FROM MAG TAPE FILE.
    *(4)AFTER ASSEMBLY IS DONE TYPE "5000;J" : THIS JSR'S TO 5000 HEX
    * THUS STARTING PROGRAM
    * ASSEMBLED INTO MEMORY.
    *(5)TO EXIT PROGRAM EITHER HIT BREAK TWICE OR HIT "CTRL". NOTE
    * THAT THIS PARTICULAR
    * EXAMPLE PROGRAM IS NOT
    * SELF TERMINATING. SOME
    * PROGRAMS WILL HAVE A
    * "RTS" AT THE END, THUS
    * RETURNING TO DEBUGGER.

I wonder if the 4051 version of DDT would run in the 4052A CALL EXEC command? One difference is the 4051 string is ASCII characters from 32 to 47 for each hex digit, where I believe the 4052A CALL EXEC uses actual ASCII characters 0-9 and A-F for the hex digits.

Here is a link to the complete set of Tekniques Vol 7 No 4 files with TLIST (I added LF after all the Tek CRs for better readability on github - I have to remove the LFs to load the programs in my 4054A).

Tektronix-4051-4052-4054-Program-Files/TekniquesVol7No4-T2

BTW - I wish I knew how to get the web-browser emulator to handle opening other files - so I could try this 4051 assembler. I imagine you hard-coded the emulator GPIB tape support to just support the "OLD" command to load one file.

The good news is I did find the Tekniques document for this tape - I just need to get the museum to scan it.

Monty
    Last edited by nikola-wan; September 3rd, 2018 at 12:09 PM.

These darn extended instructions are not wanting to give up their secrets are they?! They are fighting us at every step of the way...

I modified Jon Stanley's LINES program to work with the BASIC from Falter's card. I will now have to make the darn thing LOAD... I have just implemented a drag and drop interface for the GUI, so I will see if I can make that work for me as a fast typist in the short term.

I have now just worked out what PAGE does in this version of BASIC. Of course, it is designed to run with a storage terminal so PAGE erases the storage screen. Obvious when you sit and think about it...

I only really got the TAPE code working with the OLD command to LOAD demo programs for the emulator. Technically, under the hood, there is no real reason why we can't get any sort of TAPE READ command etc. to work. Writing files, however, is somewhat completely different. Javascript wasn't designed (out of the box) to permit file writes to happen to the host filing system (this would be a security breach) - although none-standard extensions do permit it. I will have another think to see what we can do though...

Dave
    Last edited by daver2; September 3rd, 2018 at 01:46 PM.