Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Japanese 'Engineered' Solder Sucker

W.R.T. the thread title, my "Engineer" brand solder sucker came in last week. I've used it some over the past days, and so far I really like it! Much better than the black antistatic spring-type solder sucker I'd been keeping for desoldering really big parts or using on the road. It's still not the Hakko 472D, but that's not its purpose. The silicone tubing tip works excellent, much better than the hard Teflon tips usually found on these types of tools. Every now and then, a chunk will require a pinch to clear out of the silicone tubing, if it's really jammed in there, the clearing pin just causes the tubing to stretch. Conmega suggested maybe cutting the tubing down a little to avoid/reduce this, I haven't tried that yet.

Anybody know where to get silicone tubing? It ought to be possible to cut a length and slip it onto whatever current pump you have.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Blog Entries

What's the O.D. that you need? It's generally cheap--on a par with vinyl tubing.

OD isn't as important as the ID in this case. Probably no larger ID than 5/32". Depends on what you're trying to suck out. The 1mm tip on the S-993A I just got ought to be enough for most jobs, but some larger lugs, like power terminals or the ground clips for DB-9/15/25/etc connectors might still warrant the manual pump.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Blog Entries

Lots of Chinese sellers all the way down to 1mm IDx2mm OD Just search ebay for "silicone tubing".