Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese 'Engineered' Solder Sucker

Blog Entries

According to the Edsyn website, the AS196 is pretty much a plated DS017 and is advertised as being equivalent in performance. It seems that it's not the case, in your situation. Maybe the plating causes the solder to cool and solidify before it clears the nozzle. Dunno.

Blog Entries

So the one you were referring to Chuck - the tip on it is not regular plastic like the ones on the RS units? The ones on the RS units appear to just be normal plastic and warp *very* easily.

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    What I prefer is the design which has a rubber bulb at the end of a suction tube bolted onto a full-fledged heating iron, so you can do the entire job with one tool and avoid the swappery, but I've only ever seen the damn things at Radio Shack, and they're going out of business...
    Look for an ECG J-045-DS (one supplier: https://www.parts-express.com/ecg-j-...m_campaign=pla) I have one of the Radio Shack relabels of this unit that I've used for years, and another one new in its package, and I owned a third one thirty years ago that finally broke (I was trying to get some solder out, and I broke the tip from the heating element).

I've also used the little rubber bulbs with the PTFE tips, with reasonable results.
    --
    Bughlt: Sckmud
    Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!

After trying out desoldering braid I could never go back to those atrocious things.

Blog Entries

I've tried desoldering braid but I just can't figure out how to make it work.. I always end up with solder stuck in the pads.

Blog Entries

Not as far as I can tell--the tip material appears to be "waxy". I haven't melted mine (yet).

And I do use braid as well, but mostly when I'm soldering SMT devices like TQFPs and need to clean up excess solder. It's also useful where someone's gone overboard and you need to clean solder bridges between traces. The trick with braid is to use a clean, tinned iron that has enough heat to heat the braid and the area being cleaned--and then remove the braid from the surface without removing heat. Of course, it's a bad idea to use very old braid, as it won't absorb solder well due to surface corrosion.

There's probably a YT video on using soldering braid.

Blog Entries

I find that braid has its uses, but at least for me sure isn't good for most things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    According to the Edsyn website, the AS196 is pretty much a plated DS017 and is advertised as being equivalent in performance. It seems that it's not the case, in your situation. Maybe the plating causes the solder to cool and solidify before it clears the nozzle. Dunno.
    It could be that mine is "worn out" in some way, or, I've done something wrong. I'm not certain that it's always been a problem with this model, or if something changed over time. Next tine that I have funds, I'll get a new DS017 and probably forget I ever had a problem.

Currently I use a Hakko 808, a desoldering iron with built in vacuum pump. At first it seemed like a lot to spend on a desoldering tool, but I feel like those times when I need to desolder something and not ruin it, this tool is a real lifesaver. Occasionally I still use desolder braid if there's just a couple pads to desolder, as it's quicker than dragging the gun out.

Prior to this, I had various radio shack bulb-style solder suckers. One just the bulb and tip, and a different one that was the bulb mounted on an iron. Seems like they worked out alright.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I've tried desoldering braid but I just can't figure out how to make it work.. I always end up with solder stuck in the pads.
    Lay the last 1/8" or 1/4" of braid over the pad and apply the solder iron tip over that. The heat conducts quickly through the copper braid and will wick up all the solder. On small pads it's much easier to avoid delaminating the pad from overheating, or excess sucker vacuum.

If there's a lot of solder, either use a sucker to start with then finish with the braid, or start the braid at about 1/2" from the end and slowly pull it over the pad as it fills up.