Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I've changed my ways

The sad fact is that if most people didn't quickly discard things to buy new ones all the time, none of this old stuff would be available, at next to no cost, for people like me.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I'm the scourge of "greenies"...people turn their noses up at and say "Why don't you recycle that and get a new one?".
    I've found some of the more zealous greenies are like that. It's like "recycle" is a magic word. I had one who was going on and on about how dishwashers are wrong or something. Asked them, when was the last time they pulled something out of the trash(sorry recycling bin)? It's nearly always silence, eww, or um, um, um...

Most of the stuff I have is similar to you. The other day I needed some hardboard, and it felt really weird to actually have to buy some. It's been so long, I'd kinda got used to wood being free. Old tools, I always get old ones now. It's amazing the quality of stuff people are throwing out or want peanuts for.

--

I had wondered about heating a house with computers. You sell the CPU time to pay for the electricity and get free heat! I don't know how you'd calculate it though.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

One year I noticed I was buying less oil than normal, but my electric bill was higher. It turns out I was heating my house with a Lowrey organ that I forgot to turn off.

I have plenty of tube gear (including that Lowrey) that I could heat the house with, but none of it would be cost effective...

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

I work at a place that scraps old computers and stuff on the side.
    Let me put you in on a secret, 90+% of it is complete junk.

Trashed late 90 early 2000 desktops, and by trashed I mean complete junk. Most look like then been dropped out of a truck or ran over.
    lots of old ink jets and laser printers that will never work at any level and possibly start a fire if plugged in.
    Lost of busted LCD's, by busted I mean holes in the screens.
    CRT's with cracked glass and what not.
    pallets of Dell GX240's and similar systems.

Let be honest, most people are not going to give away something that's good and working or worth a lot of money.
    But every once and wile something nice may come along. But that very rare and tends to be a newer system.

Its the small fry's you have to look out for. They're that ones scraping Pentium pro's, 486's and 3dfx cards.
    Most big places just get older late model school and office junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    I work at a place that scraps old computers and stuff on the side.
    Let me put you in on a secret, 90+% of it is complete junk.

Trashed late 90 early 2000 desktops, and by trashed I mean complete junk. Most look like then been dropped out of a truck or ran over.
    lots of old ink jets and laser printers that will never work at any level and possibly start a fire if plugged in.
    Lost of busted LCD's, by busted I mean holes in the screens.
    CRT's with cracked glass and what not.
    pallets of Dell GX240's and similar systems.

Let be honest, most people are not going to give away something that's good and working or worth a lot of money.
    But every once and wile something nice may come along. But that very rare and tends to be a newer system.

Its the small fry's you have to look out for. They're that ones scraping Pentium pro's, 486's and 3dfx cards.
    Most big places just get older late model school and office junk.
    p4's and first gen dual core and i series are at least 50% of what I get for sure.
    Yes sadly many vintage computer's come in destroyed by any means imaginable. Bullet holes and crayons seem to be popular in this area.
    It's the public's property until I get it, they can do with it what they please.

Man, the mention of crayons takes me back to a poor P1 i found while garage saling last year. The owner's kids had dumped a bunch of paper clips in the floppy drive and the hard disk was totally shot.