Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a retail game with no game in the box.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    Out of curiosity is the console port also a STEAM game where you have to download the whole game or is it playable from the install media?
    I can't help as I don't have access to a console. I'm sure there a plenty of folks here who do and can answer on that.

Steam is only for PC. The console version will install from the disk. Try Red Box, they have it used on PS4 or XBOX One for $5. Or rent it for $3.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Yes but . . . you first have to set the thing up on line before you can go offline with Steam. It's not going to help if you're stuck out in the middle of nowhere without net access.
    Or in my case, you cannot login because the client no longer supports the operating system.
    Saying it out loud, Steam was one of the first times where I owned the physical game and a legitimate activation key but had to crack the game regardless in order to play it. It's so stupid.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Things like steam is what made me get out of gaming. Sure there are still games you can buy in the store or online that are true hard copy's. But that's coming to an end and my gaming computer has been mostly offline for years. So steam is a no go, even every now and then in offline mode it will force you to log into steam.
    Then there is the auto updates that can brake support on older systems.

So yeah, the newest game I have is like form 2010 and I'm fine with that. Games are entertainment and I'm not running through hoops for my own entertainment.

Blog Entries

DOOM 2016 is the newest games I have. The game I play the most (on weekends) is Age of Empires Age of Conquerors on voobly.com (last I checked I have probably played 4000 games online since 2007). Everything else I play is much older (90's to 2000's).

You can play Age of Empires on very old hardware online just fine (it is 2d after all). I do like how Voobly updated the drivers so I can play 1080p widescreen. While online play is fun I think it also killed off single player gaming which is sad. Turn based single player games were fun and you can pause them and go get a drink without 7 other people bitching while they wait. No waiting for people to gather, no lag from the internet (hell no need for the internet at all).

Console gaming used to be something you can just plug in and with minimal effort get a fun game going. These days its no different from PC gaming except for worse graphics and resolution (and a shitty controller).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

I had a Sunday delivery which was left on my front porch. My son had surreptitiously ordered 'Call to Duty - WWII' for me sometime before Christmas, and it finally arrived. Like NeXT, I was shocked when I opened the case up and there was no CD, just a round cardboard thingy with a serial number on it. So, to get it up and running you have to be real careful and remember which Steam account that you use for the install, as it will always and forever be that account name. The game comes in two parts, multiplayer and heads up. Regardless of my 100+ GB Xfinity download speed, it took nearly 2 hours to get the thing installed. I'm wondering if I really own it. If I wanted to to completely uninstall it and give it to another family member at some point in time, I get the feeling that it would be a huge task and maybe impossible. What if I was jumping on a flight to Hawaii at JFK, and decided that I wanted to install and play my new 'C to D WWII' on my laptop, do you think there would be any hoops to jump through? I don't think piracy is the big issue that it once was. Good, bad, or otherwise, Steam is a major PITA. BTW, I never 'asked' for this game. My son and I had a casual conversation about the plot, graphics, and so forth a while back and he must have thought it would be a good deal for old man. I do like the game.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; January 22nd, 2018 at 10:47 AM.

...Good, bad, or otherwise, Steam is a major PITA.....
    That's good for starters...
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I had a Sunday delivery which was left on my front porch. My son had surreptitiously ordered 'Call to Duty - WWII' for me sometime before Christmas, and it finally arrived. Like NeXT, I was shocked when I open the case up and there was no CD, just a round cardboard thingy with a serial number on it. So, to get it up and running you have to be real careful and remember which Steam account that you use for the install, as it will always and forever be that account name. The game comes in two parts, multiplayer and heads up. Regardless of my 100+ GB Xfinity download speed, it took nearly 2 hours to get the thing installed. I'm wondering if I really own it. If I wanted to to completely uninstall it and give it to another family member at some point in time, I get the feeling that it would be a huge task and maybe impossible. What if I was jumping on a flight to Hawaii at JFK, and decided that I wanted to install and play my new 'C to D WWII' on my laptop, do you think there would be any hoops to jump through? I don't think piracy is the big issue that it once was. Good, bad, or otherwise, Steam is a major PITA. BTW, I never 'asked' for this game. My son and I had a casual conversation about the plot, graphics, and so forth a while back and he must have thought it would be a good deal for old man. I do like the game.
    I don't consider myself a console gamer. As I cut my teeth on PC that's where the games where and the games I do/did play were always PC; i.e. StarCraft, WarCraft, etc. However certain games which I really liked the plot; i.e. Last of Us were console exclusive. There is one benefit I do find is that I own actual media and I can run and install this thing on as many consoles as I want.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lyonadmiral View Post
    I don't consider myself a console gamer. As I cut my teeth on PC that's where the games where and the games I do/did play were always PC; i.e. StarCraft, WarCraft, etc. However certain games which I really liked the plot; i.e. Last of Us were console exclusive. There is one benefit I do find is that I own actual media and I can run and install this thing on as many consoles as I want.
    Amen brother!

I like Steam... but I only ever buy games during the sales. At 70-95% off... I also like GOG and it's DRM free but they nowhere near have the library that Steam has (which is both good and bad as GOG doesn't have any major turds that Steam has).