Image Map Image Map
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Possibility of making clone MCA sound cards.

I literally just started down the path of restoring my MCA PS/2 (55SX 386) and I'm learning all the nuances of this beast and just read years of posts on this project from page 1 to 14!
    I am ridiculously excited to see the community coming together to design and build these cards! I would love to get my hands on one, even if it doesn't work well and is just a prototype.
    Where can I get one?!?!?! Will this make it to kickstarter?

I was just wondering if anyone has one of these and how good it sounds:

http://www.chipchat.com/mca/SoundCard/SoundCard.html
    PS/2s--M-30,M-40SX,M-50Z with AOX Micromaster 386DX, M-57, M-70, M-77, M-80

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal9000 View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has one of these and how good it sounds:

http://www.chipchat.com/mca/SoundCard/SoundCard.html
    I know Lore(nzo) has one with the Wavetable add-on (he's NY-based, so hiding from the COVID-19 risks a.t.m.), but they are rare as rocking-horse doodoo and sell for ridiculous prices on eBay (I'm talking thousands, not hundreds of dollars U.S.). Lore doesn't come on here that I know of, and the MCA Mafia "live" elsewhere, apart from myself and Louis (ardent-blue) on occasion.
    Last edited by WBST; June 5th, 2020 at 04:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sa230e View Post
    I've actually been working on a MCA sound card for a while.

I've been kind of lurking on this thread for a while but I haven't contributed because all I've been doing over the last year is studying so I really had nothing to show.

As of late September I actually have a real prototype of an MCA Ad-lib clone. I call it the FM/2. I'm a big PS/2 fan and I collect them so I wanted to retain the naming convention. It's a very quick and dirty prototype implemented all in 74LS logic. I pretty much took the Ad-lib schematic and adapted it for use with the MCA bus. The address and IRQ are jumper selectable like an ISA card, there is no POS. Again this is a prototype. It was never intended to be a sellable product, just a proof of concept to see if it would actually work.

It actually does work but the audio is a bit distorted. But given that until this project I had pretty much no experience with digital electronics (I built tube guitar amplifiers) I was pretty surprised it worked first time. I think it's probably because I got some of the resistors wrong in the op-amp feedback loop and the signal is clipping. I was still learning the EDA (Which is Kicad) at the time and I got the annotation messed up. I haven't been interested in troubleshooting it - I'm just moving on to the next rev. The board is designed and is in shipping.

My plan is to add new features and improve the design slightly with each rev. So I'm starting with just an OPL2 and sort of building it up from there. I'm using a physical OPL chip. I have no interest in emulating since the YM3812 and Y3014B are still plentiful and cheap. Once I have a workable design I'll probably sell it as an Ad-lib clone. The prototype I spoke of is nowhere near ready for primetime, there's a lot of things I just screwed up. My ultimate goal is a Soundblaster compatible MCA sound card (probably Soundblaster 16 compatible).

Here's a pic of the prototype. Eventually I'll put a few videos up on youtube (thinking of starting a dedicated channel but for now I'll probably just use my personal account).
    Attachment 57285
    Is this yours, or some one elses

https://github.com/schlae/plaid-bib-cpld
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Quote Originally Posted by g4ugm View Post
    Is this yours, or some one elses

https://github.com/schlae/plaid-bib-cpld
    It's not mine. That's TubeTime's design.

I learned a lot from his design and owe a lot to his work but I pretty much designed mine from the ground up.

TexElec has already released a product based on TubeTime's as well. I finally got my prototype with a CPLD working but I'm still dealing with distortion issues. I don't think it would be right to sell it or open-source the design until I have a quality product.

Was literally just over on Tex Elec window shopping, only to find this.

It claims to be Adlib compatible, using the Yamaha OPL3 chip. Price is $59.99.

Just thought I would throw this out there.

i'm going to get one, next paycheck.

the listing doesnt say anything about needing to assemble it or needing that old stock "chips" chip.
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Tex Elec is usually pretty clear if you're getting a completed card, or a kit. In this case I believe it is a completed card.

Don't know if you read down that far, but it doesn't come with a bracket, alas.

I just received the TexElec MCA AdLib clone card (Resound 2). It is magnificent.

You can use the original ADF file from AdLib, or TexElec also has one on the product page. One run of the reference disk later, it's recognized and "just works" with the original software from AdLib without missing a beat. Sounds superb too.

The output is line level, so you need amplified speakers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkenlightz View Post
    I just received the TexElec MCA AdLib clone card (Resound 2). It is magnificent.

The output is line level, so you need amplified speakers.
    Get a stereo 3.5mm to dual RCA phono cable and pipe it through a Dolby Surround post-processing amplifier for the full effect!