Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for DECserver MNENG2.SYS, MNENG3.SYS, and MNENG4.SYS boot files

Good info! I don't know how I missed this thread previously, I've been casually looking for the firmware for the DECserver 90TL for a few years!

Useful info about the Mitsubishi cards. Thanks.

Maybe I'll consider trying a Mitsubishi 2MB MF82M1-77DAT01 just out of curiosity. Lowest price I currently see for those is around $20, which is more than I'd like to spend, but appears to be about the minimum going rate for PCMCIA linear flash cards now.

[QUOTE=gslick;579334 I was able to boot the DECserver 900TM from the WWENG2 load image over the network and store the load image on both the 4MB iMC004FLSA-15 and 10MB iMC010FLSA-15 cards, and then boot the DECserver 900TM from the WWENG2 load image stored on both of those cards.
    [/QUOTE]

Hello,

that sounds interesting - how did you do that / what command(s) ?

So the booted firmware image is able to store itself on another location ?

Best regards,
    Kai

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post

Maybe I'll consider trying a Mitsubishi 2MB MF82M1-77DAT01 just out of curiosity. Lowest price I currently see for those is around $20, which is more than I'd like to spend, but appears to be about the minimum going rate for PCMCIA linear flash cards now.

Those cards are still interesting for business people not only DEC related, so prices can be also in the 3 digit range...

BTW, FYI if you have old firmware cards from f.e. HSG80 Controllers - you can use them also for the DECservers...

Kai

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
    Hello,

that sounds interesting - how did you do that / what command(s) ?

So the booted firmware image is able to store itself on another location ?

Best regards,
    Kai
    The INITIALIZE command reboots the server and reloads the load image. You can optionally specify "FROM ETHERNET" to load the image from the network, or "FROM FLASHRAM" to load the image from the flash card. You can also optionally specify "UPDATE FLASHRAM" to write the image to the flash card after it has been loaded from the network. (You can also optionally specify a wait before reboot time in minutes with "DELAY", the default delay is 1 minute).

Example to reboot the server from network and attempt to write the load image to the flash card:

Code:
    Local> SET PRIVILEGED
    Password> (The factory default value of the privileged password is "SYSTEM")
    Local> INITIALIZE SERVER FROM ETHERNET UPDATE FLASHRAM DELAY 0
    This manual on the DNAS 2.4 CD-ROM has documentation for the server management commands:
    Network Access Software Management Guide, Part Number: MG-DNAS0-00, February 2001, file: MG-DNAS0-00.PDF

A newer 3.6 version of that manual is available on Vnetek. I don't have a DNAS 3.6 CD-ROM.
    Network Access Software Management Guide, Part Number: MG-DNAS0-00, July 2007
    vnetek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/DNAS-V3.6-Management-Guide.pdf

This manual on the DNAS 2.4 CD-ROM has documentation for the server management commands:
    Network Access Software Management Guide, Part Number: MG-DNAS0-00, February 2001, file: MG-DNAS0-00.PDF

A newer 3.6 version of that manual is available on Vnetek. I don't have a DNAS 3.6 CD-ROM.
    Network Access Software Management Guide, Part Number: MG-DNAS0-00, July 2007
    vnetek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/DNAS-V3.6-Management-Guide.pdf
    I tried very hard to get a newer CD from VNetek back in the 2005 time frame and they wouldn't sell one for less than several hundred dollars. I'd love to get my hands on something newer than 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by reinhardtjh View Post
    I tried very hard to get a newer CD from VNetek back in the 2005 time frame and they wouldn't sell one for less than several hundred dollars. I'd love to get my hands on something newer than 2.3
    Perhaps we just go in together and buy one?

OK, I can confirm that a Mitsubishi MELCARD 2MB F·E2PROM CARD MF82M1-77DAT01 is compatible with a DECserver 900TM. It can successfully write the WWENG2 load image to the MF82M1-77DAT01 card and then boot from it.

My device programmer (a BP Microsystems BP-1610 with a SMPCM socket adapter) has support for MF82M1-77DBTxx version of the card, but not the MF82M1-77DATxx version of the card. The card hardware IDs are different, 89h/A2h for the A version and 89h/A6h for the B version. Fortunately my device programmer has support for the Centennial Technologies, Inc. FL02M-15-10138 card, which also has the hardware ID 89h/A2h, which it notes is an Intel 28F008SA Series II Flash Memory Card. My device programmer is happy reading and erasing the MF82M1-77DAT01 card if I select it as a Centennial Technologies, Inc. FL02M-15-10138 card instead.

Out of curiosity I dumped the contents of the MF82M1-77DAT01 before testing it with the DECserver 900TM. I see this filename near the beginning:

DISK$FIB_BL:[FIB_BL.V050.Z50P.EXE]Z50P.OUT

From that filename my guess is that this card previously contained the firmware for a DEC StorageWorks HSZ50 Array Controller. The blue band and white arrow visible behind this photo of an HSZ50 firmware card matches the Mitsubishi MELCARD.

SWKS-HSZ50.jpgMF82M1-77DAT01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Perhaps we just go in together and buy one?
    That's a thought. The price may have come down since, as well. IIRC, I think I even tried asking for the previous to the current version at that time, but they wouldn't do change the price for that either. Maybe we could another person or two interested enough to spread the cost around.

OK, I can confirm that a Mitsubishi MELCARD 2MB F·E2PROM CARD MF82M1-77DAT01 is compatible with a DECserver 900TM. It can successfully write the WWENG2 load image to the MF82M1-77DAT01 card and then boot from it.
    The MF82M1-77DAT01 are cheaper on Ebay than the MF82M1-GBDAT01, too.

Out of curiosity I dumped the contents of the MF82M1-77DAT01 before testing it with the DECserver 900TM. I see this filename near the beginning:

DISK$FIB_BL:[FIB_BL.V050.Z50P.EXE]Z50P.OUT

From that filename my guess is that this card previously contained the firmware for a DEC StorageWorks HSZ50 Array Controller. The blue band and white arrow visible behind this photo of an HSZ50 firmware card matches the Mitsubishi MELCARD.
    That's good to know. Kind of makes me wish I'd saved one or two of the HSG80 firmware cards I had once. But then I might have felt bad recycling them since they're not all that easy to come by.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by reinhardtjh View Post
    Kind of makes me wish I'd saved one or two of the HSG80 firmware cards I had once. But then I might have felt bad recycling them since they're not all that easy to come by.
    Old (now-obsolete) Cisco routers like the 7000 used linear flash cards for firmware. It was a bit of a hack, as firmware used to be stored in EPROM before Cisco got tired of shipping out 16 high-capacity 27xxx parts and never getting the old ones back. So they re-purposed the PCMCIA "diagnostic" connector as a flash card port for firmware loading. But the connector was right at the board edge, so they had to ship a metal "can" that surrounded the flash card and kept it from falling out.

Anyway, before Cisco started self-branding those cards, they were "Intel Series 2+" and those work fine in DECservers (700 and presumably newer*). I also got a bunch (dozens) of those cards to update some early-production Cisco 2500s and gave them away to people in the LUG who had flash-less DECservers. You may be able to find some of those on eBay cheaply as they're for worthless Cisco routers at this point.

* The deal is that the card needs to be linear flash (not ATA) and it needs to have one of the device IDs known to both the ROM(s) in the DECserver (for booting) and the DNAS software (for downloading/writing). I've seen cases where one of those works and one doesn't, depending on the age of the ROMs and software. I don't actually know why it matters for booting - for writing the ID specifies the specific erase / program cycle parameters needed for the card.

I don't know if there's any such thing as linear flash CF cards, but if there is you should be able to get a PCMCIA-to-CF adapter and use a CF card.