Image Map Image Map

Thread: External 3.5 floppy drives.

Default External 3.5 floppy drives.

Obviously, external 3.5 drives can both read and write, however, I have had issues with mine before.

For example, I can format a floppy fine through the Windows Explorer, but when I go to format and write using win image, the driver crashes, the drive always remains on trying to do something, and I have to restart my computer before I can use it again.

I heard these drives can be finicky and unreliable, I am just wondering though, what's been your experience with these?
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Much the same as yours...

I mainly use them for viewing and transferring files although lately I've been using USB flash drives for that, even in DOS. I don't format disks on them. I use a tweener for that. But I've always preferred to format DOS floppies on a DOS machine as Windows can sometimes throw a wrench into that process.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Exactly what kind of external 3.5" floppy drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Exactly what kind of external 3.5" floppy drive?
    Excellent first question. Subsequent ones might include what interface, which OS version, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    Excellent first question. Subsequent ones might include what interface, which OS version, etc.
    "BYTEC BT-144 USB Portable Diskette Drive"

Windows 7
    My Packard Bell has never given me any problems which were it's fault, the Packard Haters can stuff it! :

Blog Entries

I have had no problems with my usb fdd in linux.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Blog Entries

I've purchased at least 4 of the BYTEC units--each had a different USB floppy inside. Some good, some horrible. The Bytec units seem to use whatever's cheap and available.

I've had decent results with the Teac FD-05PUB.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I've purchased at least 4 of the BYTEC units--each had a different USB floppy inside. Some good, some horrible. The Bytec units seem to use whatever's cheap and available.

I've had decent results with the Teac FD-05PUB.
    Mine is the Teac as well and I have no complaints with it using it on Windows 10 (except that the OS won't let you format a DD diskette).
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.