Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: HP 1000/A900, with 7937 HDD

I ordered some memory boards and a couple of 8 channel mux cards. I have the 28658-60005 breakout for the mux and I'm hoping to get the 28658-63005 cable for the mux, the seller has gone quiet for the cable.

The two memory boards that I've bought are,

12221-66001, (8MB) with this in the system the LED's on the sequencer now cycle for a couple of seconds with 2nd LED from top staying on for 1-2 secs then cycling to the bottom 3 LED's staying on. I think this is now running VCP. Am I correct? The red LED on the mux does not flash every second now though. I really need the cable so I can connect to the A900 to see if I have the VCP prompt.

12103-66001 (2MB) This was advertised as A class A900 but only after inserting it that I realise it has a different "over the top" connector. Is this for the L class or a different machine? The info on web and HP museum say it is for A class, so would I need a different memory controller or does this not require the "over the top" connector?

I've installed the 8MB card and the loop test runs continuously and it also goes into VCP according to the LED's on the sequences but eventually it will crash. I did notice that the green LED on the memory card doesn't come on. I suspect that my two 3/4MB cars are faulty and also the 8MB card has issues but I can't confirm this until I obtain a cable (28658-63005) to connect my 8 channel mux to the 8 port breakout board and connect up a terminal to see if I really can get to VCP. I did order a cable but the seller has gone quiet so think I've been conned.

I have the mux cable and breakout board, I can now get a VCP prompt but my A900 shows as having 0MB memory. I had a spare memory controller an 3/4MB card, I get the same error with these installed. So either one of the other cards is faulty or both my memory cards and controllers are faulty. It also fails the memory test.
    a.jpg

PTEST ERR 340 200 points to a memory error in first 32k, this is the same with a 3/4 MB board or an 8MB board installed. I've also tried two memory controllers.
    Last edited by PG31; October 11th, 2018 at 09:09 AM.

Well, finally some progress. Thanks to Roland from Switzerland who supplied me with a set of PCB's I now have a working HP1000 A900, oddly though after passing all my now spare cards through the working system I only found one 3/4 MB to be faulty (compatibility issue?). I now get to the VCP> prompt after each power on and it also displays the correct memory size and I/O board population. The extended (%M) test now completes without error also.
    Next step is to get a PCI HP-IB card for a PC so that I can have a go at the HPDrive project.

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    I have two HP 1000 A900 boxes myself.
    I'm a very late joiner to this thread. Would like to set up a minimal A900 for myself, but no luck as yet finding a homeless one :-<.

Would you or anyone else here know of an A900 looking for a warm, dry, cozy spot and a well-meaning senior-hobbyist caretaker (me)?

In a related question, what is considered to be the usual/standard PCA for terminal I/O with an A900?

Thanks for leads, etc.

paul

I have my console connected via the 8 channel mux and 8 channel breakout board. I also have a single async card and fiber cable but don't have a terminal that supports this connection, there is also a copper cable for this card but I don't have one of them. I found it relatively easy to obtain the HP-IB boards and 8 channel mux and the memory boards come up quite often. I had to hunt around for cables and breakout board for the async mux but I have two of each now although one of the cables is no longer very flexible and is brittle. I did see an A600 chassis on ebay in USA recently for reasonable money but you would still need a board set.

Quote Originally Posted by PG31 View Post
    I have my console connected via the 8 channel mux and 8 channel breakout board. I also have a single async card and fiber cable but don't have a terminal that supports this connection, there is also a copper cable for this card but I don't have one of them. I found it relatively easy to obtain the HP-IB boards and 8 channel mux and the memory boards come up quite often. I had to hunt around for cables and breakout board for the async mux but I have two of each now although one of the cables is no longer very flexible and is brittle. I did see an A600 chassis on ebay in USA recently for reasonable money but you would still need a board set.
    Thanks for the information regarding your set-up. My understanding is that the backplanes are all different as the PCA-complement varies for each CPU model. The A900 is unique in requiring a 4-board set. There's a listing for the backplane-only on eBay at the moment at an outrageous price! But at least it includes nice pics that illustrate the differences among the slots; #2-3-4-5 are unique to the CPU.

Which async-card used (optical) fiber!?

The backplane connectors for the A900 CPU card set are high density connectors and each card goes in a specific slot on the right hand side of the cage. The first card slot on the right is for an I/O card, these cards have "gold finger" connectors and I think these will work with all A series systems and all other cards to left are for memory and/or I/O cards.

The async card with both fiber and copper that I have is 12005-60012. I have the fiber cable but no terminal, its a specific HP terminal. I don't have the copper cable so can't use this card. The 8 port async mux card is what I use for my console. This is the card order,
    Slot 1: I/O card (HP-IB for system disk in mine)
    Slot 2: 12201 Sequencer card
    Slot 3: 12202 Data Path card
    Slot 4: 12203 Cache Control card
    Slot 5: 12204 Memory Controller card
    Slot 6: Memory Array card (connected to the 12204 Memory Controller card via the frontplane, I have two frontplane cards one supporting one memory card and one supporting two memory cards.)
    Slot 7: Memory Array card or I/O card all further slots are memory or I/O
    Slot 8: Async mux configured for console in my system