Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What to do about a persistent virus?

You've got a hardware problem. It might seem to be related to your AV software but that's likely only because it is the first kind of software you install that really taxes the system. I imagine you'll get the same result if installing and running a game with sufficiently high system requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    One pass through memtest86, no errors:

Attachment 43530

-CH-
    One pass is not enough. Let it run overnight. I once reduced the CAS latency on a system of mine and memtest86 found no errors (even after several passes, IIRC). Happy as a clam over my apparently successful little "overclock", I proceeded to boot Windows and run Battlefield 2. After playing for a while (half an hour maybe?) I was disconnected from the server because I had failed the integrity check internal to BF2. In other words, the RAM contents was corrupt.

The CAS latency went back up and I was sad that BF2 was back to its regular, somewhat laggy, self. At the same time I was grateful that I had not caused any file system corruption. Anyway, the point is that you might need to run memtest86 for a long time before errors are found. The same goes for Prime95, which you still haven't run, it seems. Reinstalling Windows and AV software over and over again isn't going to change anything.

Also, if you haven't already done so, I would recommend doing a visual inspection of the motherboard to look for bulging or leaking capacitors. After all, this board is straight out from the bad caps era.
    Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Quote Originally Posted by Krille View Post
    You've got a hardware problem.

...Also, if you haven't already done so, I would recommend doing a visual inspection of the motherboard to look for bulging or leaking capacitors. After all, this board is straight out from the bad caps era.
    I'm inclined to agree with you.

Problem is... a visual inspection of the caps can only be fruitful if there is actually visual evidence and more often than not there isn't any.

Additionally, correct, thorough checking of caps can be a Royal Pita and this is true even if you have the correct equipment.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    an ABIT KW7 (socket 7 Athlon) motherboard
    That's a socket A motherboard, not socket 7. Exactly what CPU do you have installed? (This is relevant because one of the errors you posted is a CPU invalid opcode error -- I'm wondering if the CPU is being detected as something it isn't, leading these programs to try to execute instructions that are invalid)

Also, run prime95 as people have suggested. It should survive at least 10 minutes on full burn.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

For what it's worth, there is at least a proof-of-concept hard disk firmware rootkit for XP out in the wild; see: https://hackaday.com/2015/06/08/hard...ly-persistent/. While that is probably not the case here, it is a possibility.
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Quote Originally Posted by Krille View Post
    You've got a hardware problem. ... One pass is not enough. Let it run overnight.

Also, if you haven't already done so, I would recommend doing a visual inspection of the motherboard to look for bulging or leaking capacitors. After all, this board is straight out from the bad caps era.
    The machine has been on for 24 hours. At 2 PM yesterday I started the Memtest program. I let it run until 6 AM today; 16 hours. There were no errors reported.

Immediately after stopping Memtest I started the processor "torture test", which ran from 6:04 AM until 12:04 PM, i. e. six hours. Again, there were no errors reported.

The machine has a 500W power supply and four fans, including a Gigabyte tower on the AMD Athlon 3000+ processor. (Socket A, as Trixter points out. My bad.) RAM is Corsair, purchased from Newegg, highly rated by other users, although of course that's no guarantee. But it's not overclocked at all. See pics below for stats.

I am aware that the board is from the era and the region that had problems with capacitors. I've had problems with those capacitors before, not only on motherboards but in Sony and Toshiba TVs, for example. But the motherboard problems I have experienced have been more along the lines of intermittent crashes shortly after boot, not selectively denying the execution of a certain class of program. In any case, the board is clean, it's in a tower, nobody has nested in there and the caps all have nice flat domes, no puddles under them or tilts in their kilts. And there must be 40 or more electrolytics that would have to be replaced; not for the faint of heart. PITA, as Stone observes, and I don't have the equipment for in-situ testing.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

-CH-

22.jpg 23.jpg