Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tandy 1100FD, a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Physically, it's in pretty good shape. Floppy doesn't work, but I understand that's pretty common with these, and I've ordered a replacement belt.
    You need to do a little more than just replace the belt. The old belt usually melted to the pulleys in the floppy drive, so you'll need to clean the residue off before installing the new belt.

If you don't, the old belt residue will cause timing issues and the floppy drive won't work correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Also, has anyone managed a Gotek installation into one of these? It looks like the floppy connector is proprietary but carries standard floppy signals. I'm considering hiding the gotek inside the system and routing a USB extender cable and switches out through the expansion plate cover at the rear of the machine. Looks like there's plenty of room inside.
    Yes. I picked up this 34-24 adaptor which just let me plug everything together. Worked like a charm with a standard Gotek with FlashFloppy.

But I had to mod the case a bit and remove the metal shielding just to the right of the yellow CMOS battery in your picture. The Gotek drive doesn't have its plus in the same place as the proprietary Tandy drive.

I was able to get the yellow battery replaced with a vertical CR2032 battery holder by extending one of the pins. It keeps time now.

Quote Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
    You need to do a little more than just replace the belt. The old belt usually melted to the pulleys in the floppy drive, so you'll need to clean the residue off before installing the new belt.
    If you don't, the old belt residue will cause timing issues and the floppy drive won't work correctly.
    Thanks for the tip. I just got mine recently, and the belt was indeed disintegrated. I tried swapping it with a rubber band as a stopgap solution til I can track down a replacement, but now having read this, I noticed the residue on the pulleys as you describe. Gonna try cleaning that off when I get back from work today and see if it reads properly. This laptop is kinda useless without a working floppy drive.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    I was able to get the yellow battery replaced with a vertical CR2032 battery holder by extending one of the pins. It keeps time now.
    Cool. I was able to locate replacement batteries. Now, I need to acquire time to install them.

Yeah, you kinda need to stand on your head to get this machine apart.

I was able to get the floppy to read the directory using a rubber band in lieu of a proper belt, but it doesn't have enough traction for proper timing, so can't do much more than that. But at least the heads and electronics seem to work. So I've got a replacement floppy belt on order, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to figure out a replacement for the 6v sealed Lead-Acid battery pack at some point (though that's not a priority right now).

Anybody happen across a technical manual for this thing? I'd like to build a CF card solution for it, but I have no idea what the pinouts on either of the internal expansion headers are.

I've a suspicion that the 50-pin HDD interface may be XTIDE (not to be confused with XUB), rather than AT-IDE, and thus incompatible with CF cards. But it was designed in '89, so who knows. Even if it were AT-IDE, it'd likely have a rather low limit on drive geometry, so only small CF cards would be usable.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

5. Default

Blackepyon, this seems as good a thread as any for our previous discussion, I hope it helps others. I took pics of the three HDs that I had from my 6 1110HD laptops, they are all Connor CP-2024 with the same firmware revision. Quick look at the datasheet says it should be normal IDE and hopefully the specs are reproducible on CF cards. If someone cooks up an adapter I will buy a few, these things have a hot following on eBay and are more sought after than the 1000HX so I bet there would be a market.

hdd.jpg

hdd1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsP5QYOcuSs

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-dr...SL-IDE-AT.html

C P - 2 0 2 4 A T CONNER
    NO MORE PRODUCED Native| Translation
    ------+-----+-----+-----
    Form 2.5"/SUPERSLIMLINE Cylinders 654| 615| |
    Capacity form/unform 21/ MB Heads 2| 4| |
    Seek time / track 23.0/ 5.0 ms Sector/track 33| 17| |
    Controller IDE / AT Precompensation
    Cache/Buffer 8 KB LOOK-AHEAD Landing Zone
    Data transfer rate 1.250 MB/S int Bytes/Sector 512
    3.750 MB/S ext
    Recording method RLL 2/7 operating | non-operating
    -------------+--------------
    Supply voltage 5 V Temperature *C 5 55 | -40 60
    Power: sleep 0.3 W Humidity % 8 80 | 8 80
    standby 0.5 W Altitude km -0.061 3.050| 12.200
    idle 1.5 W Shock g 10 | 100
    seek 3.0 W Rotation RPM 3433
    read/write 3.0 W Acoustic dBA 34
    spin-up W ECC Bit 64
    MTBF h 100000
    Warranty Month
    Lift/Lock/Park YES Certificates CSA,IEC435,UL478,VDE
    Last edited by RetroGaming Roundup; July 20th, 2019 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGaming Roundup View Post
    Blackepyon, this seems as good a thread as any for our previous discussion, I hope it helps others. I took pics of the three HDs that I had from my 6 1110HD laptops, they are all Connor CP-2024 with the same firmware revision. Quick look at the datasheet says it should be normal IDE and hopefully the specs are reproducible on CF cards. If someone cooks up an adapter I will buy a few, these things have a hot following on eBay and are more sought after than the 1000HX so I bet there would be a market.
    Does the 1100HD have a 44-pin 2-row header on the motherboard? Because if so it should be as simple as hooking up a laptop IDE-CF adapter (I've got one kicking around somewhere...). But when I took apart my 1100FD, I saw a 50-pin header. Was there an intermediate adapter between the motherboard and the 44-pin ribbon?
    IMG_20190720_180723415.jpgIMG_20190720_180808109.jpg
    So long as it's AT-IDE, as your hard drives from the 1100HD suggest mine might be, then all I need is a pinout for the header and I should be able to spin up a board for it.

And then there's the black flex-ribbon header by the rear expansion port that I assume is for a modem (this is a business model after all).
    IMG_20190720_180939789.jpg

7. Default

That expansion port is for the modem.

When I get home tonight I will count the pins on the header and cable, there is no intermediate board and that ribbon cable from the HDD plugs into the board and there is no separate power cable.

8. Default

@ keenerb, I have several spares if your floppy turns out to be toast. I would love to see a gotek adaptation for this PC as well, maybe DJOS can cook one up if we give him what he needs?

So, the cable and header on the 1110HD are 44 pin. I ordered a 44 pin IDE to CF, $4 so who cares, I would rather have it on hand in case a CF works. I am glad this came up because when my original HDD failed I kind of shelved it and this was a favorite PC of mine so I would love it get it running with a CF card again. Back in the day I even ran Stacker to get about double space on the HDD and had a Backpack 1.44mb floppy and all of it worked so very well. This was my BBS and even gaming machine when I was in the gulf war. I have to admit I do not know a tremendous amount about the details of CF replacing HDDs, I know they are IDE standard and I have used the suggested ones in Amigas/486/Pentium/etc. computers and they just configure and work like magic. Is this laptop looking for this one HDD or can it play well with a CF card and if so what size and type? Once I have the adapter I can try what CF cards I have on hand and see what it plays well with, maybe order a few smaller ones if needed.

hdd2.jpg

The modem

hdd3.jpg

I tried this a few years back, let us know if you have better luck than I did...

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...0HD&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGaming Roundup View Post
    @ keenerb, I have several spares if your floppy turns out to be toast. I would love to see a gotek adaptation for this PC as well, maybe DJOS can cook one up if we give him what he needs?

So, the cable and header on the 1110HD are 44 pin. I ordered a 44 pin IDE to CF, $4 so who cares, I would rather have it on hand in case a CF works. I am glad this came up because when my original HDD failed I kind of shelved it and this was a favorite PC of mine so I would love it get it running with a CF card again. Back in the day I even ran Stacker to get about double space on the HDD and had a Backpack 1.44mb floppy and all of it worked so very well. This was my BBS and even gaming machine when I was in the gulf war. I have to admit I do not know a tremendous amount about the details of CF replacing HDDs, I know they are IDE standard and I have used the suggested ones in Amigas/486/Pentium/etc. computers and they just configure and work like magic. Is this laptop looking for this one HDD or can it play well with a CF card and if so what size and type? Once I have the adapter I can try what CF cards I have on hand and see what it plays well with, maybe order a few smaller ones if needed.

hdd2.jpg

The modem

hdd3.jpg
    Well, your motherboard looks completely different from mine on the lower end there. You've got the 44-pin header (that's standard laptop IDE) on the motherboard, but I've got that goofy 50-pin header. Maybe the 1100FD COULD take a HDD option, but used a different adapter or something, who knows.

I might try to probe it out at some point and see where the traces go. I'm hoping it's just a wonky ISA bus. 62 pin ISA can be reduced down to 50 pins if you remove what you don't strictly need, such as the IRQ pins, etc. Mostly, it's the address/data pins, power, reset, and the mem r/w that you need, and if that's the case I could probably whip up a version of Lo-Tech's ISA-CF card for it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.