Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tandy 1100FD, a few questions

Default Tandy 1100FD, a few questions

Physically, it's in pretty good shape. Floppy doesn't work, but I understand that's pretty common with these, and I've ordered a replacement belt.

My biggest problem is that the battery is no good. It's a sealed lead acid 6v 1.8ah battery, and I can't identify any appropriate replacement anywhere.

Also, has anyone managed a Gotek installation into one of these? It looks like the floppy connector is proprietary but carries standard floppy signals. I'm considering hiding the gotek inside the system and routing a USB extender cable and switches out through the expansion plate cover at the rear of the machine. Looks like there's plenty of room inside.

Should I be worried about that yellow rechargeable battery?

Blog Entries

I think this battery will suit just fine: http://www.batteryspace.com/SLA-Batt...V-1.2AH-S.aspx
    Battery life will be only 66% of its original 3.5hrs, so figure 2.2hrs. If that doesn't work, cut the connector and make a battery pack out of AA batteries.

CMOS battery looks good, wouldn't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedpneumatic View Post
    I think this battery will suit just fine: http://www.batteryspace.com/SLA-Batt...V-1.2AH-S.aspx
    Battery life will be only 66% of its original 3.5hrs, so figure 2.2hrs. If that doesn't work, cut the connector and make a battery pack out of AA batteries.

CMOS battery looks good, wouldn't touch it.
    The Tandy battery is 98mm x 42mm x 25mm, rougly measured. It's quite small. That battery looks too big, I'm afraid.

I'm planning on making a battery pack out of AA batteries, I'll just need to include a diode or somethign to keep the laptop from exploding...

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    The Tandy battery is 98mm x 42mm x 25mm, rougly measured. It's quite small. That battery looks too big, I'm afraid.

I'm planning on making a battery pack out of AA batteries, I'll just need to include a diode or somethign to keep the laptop from exploding...
    I have an original tandy rechargeable battery pack for Tandy 1100 FD / 1100 HD Output 6v 1.8Ah - if you are interested in purchasing it. It is unused and in the original box.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmys View Post
    I have an original tandy rechargeable battery pack for Tandy 1100 FD / 1100 HD Output 6v 1.8Ah - if you are interested in purchasing it. It is unused and in the original box.
    I am quite interested actually. It's probably no good after all this time anyway, but how much would you want for it?

Blog Entries

Due note that SLA batteries have a 4 year shelf life. This applies to ALL SLA batteries, be that a car, lawnmower, UPS, etc. battery. Make sure to check the voltage to confirm it isn't a dud.
    Wanted: Any old clunky 286-P1 machine that has some kind of working battery or replaceable with off the shelf parts. Preferred: 10+lbs 386 machines.

There is a battery on eBay right now

I replaced my CMOS batteries when I had mine apart to address the floppy issue. I installed a battery holder in the board, so that I can replace the battery at any time in the future, just by opening up that access cover.

Also, has anyone managed a Gotek installation into one of these? It looks like the floppy connector is proprietary but carries standard floppy signals. I'm considering hiding the gotek inside the system and routing a USB extender cable and switches out through the expansion plate cover at the rear of the machine. Looks like there's plenty of room inside.
    I have it on my project list to do that. Note that you can get a Gotek-like drive that looks like it has the same floppy connector as the 1100 FD, but it doesn't.

Should I be worried about that yellow rechargeable battery?
    Only if it's bulging/leaking.

I've gotten a 6v power supply together to replace the on-board battery, but the Tandy gets stuck in a reboot loop using it.

The back leg of the power connector appears to be positive, the leg closest to keyboard appears to be negative. When I supply 6v power over the battery connector, it runs the bios test successfully, begins to boot, and then reboots at the point it would normally seek on the floppy drive. It seems to me that it could be insufficient amperage, but I'm using a 2500mah 6v power supply which exceeds the 1800mah 6v battery by a handy amount.

I've also tried with 4 AA batteries, same problem.