Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tandy 1100FD, a few questions

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Juror22 View Post
    I tried this a few years back, let us know if you have better luck than I did...

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...0HD&highlight=
    Well crap, I wonder if using one of these might behave differently? https://www.newegg.com/p/1B0-007S-00...5854-_-Product

I also have a few of these on order, I will throw in a small SD card and see what happens. https://www.newegg.com/p/2A7-00BD-00...7525-_-Product

I tried this a few years back, let us know if you have better luck than I did...

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...0HD&highlight=
    What size CF did you use, and what kind of adapter? I've got an adapter that's made for IDE laptops that plugs straight into a 44-pin header and pulls it's power straight from pin-20, so doesn't need an external power connector. See here.

I've also got a 16MB Canon card. See here. If indeed this controller is ATA-IDE and not XT-IDE, you're much more likely to get a CF card to read if the size is more appropriate to what it's original HDD would be, since hard drive controllers were limited at this time by how large a HDD geometry they could recognize (though that can likely be changed if you can upgrade the BIOS.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Correction: the 44-pin IDE has power on pins 41 & 42. Do make sure it's plugged in the right way though, they're not always keyed.
    Last edited by blackepyon; July 22nd, 2019 at 01:08 PM.
    My vintage systems: Tandy 1000 HX, Tandy 1100FD, Tandy 1000 RSX, and some random Pentium in a Hewitt Rand chassis...

Some people keep a classic car in their garage. Some people keep vintage computers. The latter hobby is cheaper, usually takes less space, and is less likely to lead to a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    What size CF did you use, and what kind of adapter? I've got an adapter that's made for IDE laptops that plugs straight into a 44-pin header and pulls it's power straight from pin-20, so doesn't need an external power connector. See here.

I've also got a 16MB Canon card. See here. If indeed this controller is ATA-IDE and not XT-IDE, you're much more likely to get a CF card to read if the size is more appropriate to what it's original HDD would be, since hard drive controllers were limited at this time by how large a HDD geometry they could recognize (though that can likely be changed if you can upgrade the BIOS.
    I had used 512 MB CF cards, which were the smallest that I have, as well as a similar IDE to CF adapter (I'm pretty sure I tried both a female angled adapter as well as a straight adapter that would never fit, but was a different version) Neither was the type that uses external power.

I had used 512 MB CF cards, which were the smallest that I have, as well as a similar IDE to CF adapter (I'm pretty sure I tried both a female angled adapter as well as a straight adapter that would never fit, but was a different version) Neither was the type that uses external power.
    Yeah, 512MB would definitely be too large for that BIOS. If you can get a hold of an 8,16, or 32MB (I'd bet on the 16MB), those might work. The eBay page I linked has some on for somewhat reasonable prices.

Can I confirm that the adapters you were using were the 2.5" 44-pin variety, and that they were plugged in the correct orientation? It's all 5v, so you shouldn't be able to damage anything by accidentally plugging it in backwards (don't quote me on that). My 1100FD has a different header, so I'm unable to test any of this at the moment, unless I can obtain a technical manual or reverse engineer that pinout.

6. Default

I have a 20MB on the way, if that works with the adapter I will start buying double the size and so on until it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGaming Roundup View Post
    I have a 20MB on the way, if that works with the adapter I will start buying double the size and so on until it doesn't work.
    Good luck!
    Just a note: DOS 3.3 can only see partition sizes up to 32MB, so unless you're planning on booting from DOS 4 or 5, there's no practical reason to go for a larger card than that.

Quote Originally Posted by blackepyon View Post
    ...Can I confirm that the adapters you were using were the 2.5" 44-pin variety, and that they were plugged in the correct orientation? It's all 5v, so you shouldn't be able to damage anything by accidentally plugging it in backwards (don't quote me on that). My 1100FD has a different header, so I'm unable to test any of this at the moment, unless I can obtain a technical manual or reverse engineer that pinout.
    Yes, they were 44pin 2.5" adapters. As suggested, I'll try to get a smaller card and give that a go as well.

9. Default

I was digging through some Tandy stuff and I found a 1100FD I forgot I had and it works fine. I suppose I can help in testing any 1100 to 1110 ideas that come along.

111FD.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGaming Roundup View Post
    I was digging through some Tandy stuff and I found a 1100FD I forgot I had and it works fine.
    Did you test the floppy drive? The drive belt turns to goo over time, so it won't do anything with a diskette.