Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What's your vintage computer to do list look like for 2018?

Check out a Dictaphone system. Shipped today from GA.

Restore a NEC PowerMate SX/20: in progress: en route. Update: should arrive today. Update: needs DS1287 replacement. Update: still waiting on two from CN for the Digital Starion 200i & IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D.

Restore a Digital Starion 200i. Update: waiting for shipping. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: flawed CD-ROM, IDE does not boot & needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably. Update: still waiting.

Restore an IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably. Update: still waiting.

Have a DS12887 socket installed on my Philips P 3238 MOBO. Update: on hold until late February / sometime in March. Update: April or May.

Finish all episodes of Wolfenstein 3D. Update: played a few levels of episode 1 yesterday. Update: played a few more levels yesterday. Update: episode 1 completed. Update: making some progress in episode 2. Update: episode 2 complete. Update: episode 3 in progress.

Finish a couple of Pirates! Gold games. Update: on hold.

Find a website where I can download FLIs. Update: no idea where to find those. Update: in progress. Update: on hold.

Install Word for Windows 6.0 on my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: first attempt failed yesterday (bad diskette). Update: on hold.

Test a NEC MultiSpin 3Xi with a caddy: three caddies en route from eBay. Update: caddies arrived today. Will try to test it all sometime this week. Update: wrong caddies received: do not fit. On hold for now. Update: caddie is loaded automatically when CD-ROM is powered on. CD-ROM throws back an E on the LCD when an audio or factory data CD is loaded. Unit has been recycled. COMPLETED

Test a MPU-401 with a MIF-IPC-B. Update: appears to work: awaiting MIDI cable to confirm 100%. Update: put a back plate on the ISA PCB. Took it from a parallel ISA PCB I got cheap on eBay. COMPLETED

Test whether 2X 4MB 72PIN FPM work in my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: en route. Update: works great! COMPLETED

Source AVGA2 DOS utilities. Update: in progress through proxy in SE. Update: received & works great! COMPLETED

Test a CT1770. Update: en route. Update: received: works great! COMPLETED

Install AVGA Windows 3.1 drivers on my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: needs Windows 3.0 installation diskettes. Need to create those. Update: files were in WINDOWS directory rather than WIN31. Go figure. COMPLETED[/QUOTE]

Test an IDE HDD & RLL/MFM HDD. Part of the IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D lot. Probably dead but want to check anyway. Update: MFK/RLL is dead: already in recycling. IDE: will try tomorrow. Update: IDE also dead: recycled. COMPLETED

Source Philips MS-DOS 4.01. Update: in progress through seller in SK. Update: waiting to leave SK. Update: is in the US & en route. Update: reached FL but keeps bouncing around. Hopefully Tuesday. Update: arrived finally. Package was lost for a day or two. P 3238 system manual was still shrink wrapped and has system utilities disk in pristine condition. Cool story: seller found it an abandoned SK government building on top of library bookshelves. COMPLETED

Test the 5.25" FDDs I got with the IBM PS/ValuePoint & TURBO 55 286: in progress: waiting for DS/HD 5.25" diskettes I bought on eBay: en route. Update: still en route. Update: IBM 5.25” FDD dead: in recycling. TURBO 55 5.25” FDD works. Still waiting for 10 pack to arrive. Update: pack arrived. Need to create boot disk. Will be a bit of an operation: need to hook up Pentium MOBO to an AT PSU and then attach an ISA VGA and PCI SCSI + FDD & HDD to create boot disk. Update: works great. Managed to get the ST-01 to work great with the ST-157N on the TURBO 55 (really a Samsung 550). COMPLETED

Wait for a MIF-IPC-B replacement: the one I bought two weeks ago died. Update: mailed back #1: waiting for #2 to be shipped. Update: return package was lost. Called the USPS hotline: case created. Postmaster of the destination post office responded. Called them: package found and should be delivered tomorrow. Update: wrong package identified yesterdY. Package still MIA. Seller sent replacement anyway (very courteous). Update: received. COMPLETED

Restore a NCR 3227. Update: en route. Update: still en route. Update: waiting: maybe tomorrow: probably next week. Update: DOA: mailing it back Tuesday. Update: en route back to TX. Update: refund received. COMPLETED

Decide whether or not to acquire a ST-296N for the Samsung S550. On hold. Update: decided against it. COMPLETED

Source a Philips serial mouse: in progress: need to pay seller in NL. Update: seller paid: waiting for shipping. Update: shipped. Update: received it yesterday: dead. Will have it repaired (when possible) when I get around to having the DS12887 socket installed on my Philips P 3238 MOBO. On hold. Update: works fine on a ISA 16BIT I/O PCB I plugged in to my Pentium MOBO. Weird!
    Last edited by PeterNC; March 8th, 2018 at 05:35 AM.

Goals for 2018:

Attempt to understand the statement “Work smarter not harder” try as I might still have not figured out what that means.

Produce more videos on YouTube. Take great satisfaction seeing my YouTube counts rise although it has no real value can still sit and think about how I have X amount more viewers or followers then others.

Identify the next great pilgrimage. The last great road trip was to Michigan to pick up a Control Data nine track transport that’s now in use with my PDP-11/23, already done that along with the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWnjuLS6jxI) other road trips have been to pick up computers, drives and radio equipment.
    Thought I would have another great odyssey up to NY this last year to pick up a Data General Nova but it got sold before I was able to get my act together.

Attempt to sell off more of my collection. Have been putting effort into trying to sell off or at least give away stuff. The thing is at the end of the day you tend to want to keep everything, what’s worse is that in the last ten or fifteen years I have gotten into this weird dynamic where I want to keep at least one spare system for every system that I have in operation. That has resulted in a huge mound of drives, cards and in many cases mainframes that I have stored away with the thought that if the one running in the shop fails I got one out in storage and can use it for parts. Long before they fail I will often end up no longer using that item and will end of with at least two that are not getting used and taking up space. This happens a lot with test equipment.

Buy high and sell low. This is a lot like the first statement, think I must have it wrong somehow.

Spend more time writing pointless and stupid Monologues. Perhaps it’s because I am not as smart or contain any of the useful information that many of the people on web pages or email reflectors I write on that I tend to just prattle on. But what the hell. At least it gives me the satisfaction of annoying a lot of the know it all that I have encountered on the internet.
    Not as big a deal here on the Vintage Computer pages as some other groups where people will argue endlessly about what type of fastener has to be used on a spefic radio and how if you don’t do everything exactly as they say you’re an idiot.

Well that’s the short generic list. Lots of spefic things like learning how to push binary files to drives and ports and that type of stuff too.
    Good luck to you and everyone who has gotten this far and hope for everyone’s success with archaic hardware in the New Year. Dam its March already.

Ray F/KA3EKH/Qbus

Restore a NEC PowerMate SX/20: in progress: en route. Update: should arrive today. Update: needs DS1287 replacement. Update: still waiting on two from CN for the Digital Starion 200i & IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: still waiting.

Restore a Digital Starion 200i. Update: waiting for shipping. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: flawed CD-ROM, IDE does not boot & needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting.

Restore an IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting.

Have a DS12887 socket installed on my Philips P 3238 MOBO. Update: on hold until late February / sometime in March. Update: April or May. Update: Q3.

Finish all episodes of Wolfenstein 3D. Update: played a few levels of episode 1 yesterday. Update: played a few more levels yesterday. Update: episode 1 completed. Update: making some progress in episode 2. Update: episode 2 complete. Update: episode 3 in progress.

Finish Syndicate: progressing.

Find a website where I can download FLIs. Update: no idea where to find those. Update: in progress. Update: on hold.

Install Word for Windows 6.0 on my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: first attempt failed yesterday (bad diskette). Update: on hold.

Check out a Dictaphone system. Shipped today from GA. Update: received it. Very clean. CR2032 installed. 3.5" DS/HD FDD works great. 16MB RAM installed. Has Vibra 16 on MOBO which also works. Popped in an IDE HDD which works and boots MS-DOS. Keyboard PS/2 port works great. Need to test mouse PS/2 port. LPT port works great: used it to pump data from my Argent Technologies 486 DX 33 to this machine. COMPLETED

Test a NEC MultiSpin 3Xi with a caddy: three caddies en route from eBay. Update: caddies arrived today. Will try to test it all sometime this week. Update: wrong caddies received: do not fit. On hold for now. Update: caddie is loaded automatically when CD-ROM is powered on. CD-ROM throws back an E on the LCD when an audio or factory data CD is loaded. Unit has been recycled. COMPLETED

Test a MPU-401 with a MIF-IPC-B. Update: appears to work: awaiting MIDI cable to confirm 100%. Update: put a back plate on the ISA PCB. Took it from a parallel ISA PCB I got cheap on eBay. COMPLETED

Test whether 2X 4MB 72PIN FPM work in my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: en route. Update: works great! COMPLETED

Source AVGA2 DOS utilities. Update: in progress through proxy in SE. Update: received & works great! COMPLETED

Install AVGA Windows 3.1 drivers on my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: needs Windows 3.0 installation diskettes. Need to create those. Update: files were in WINDOWS directory rather than WIN31. Go figure. COMPLETED

Test an IDE HDD & RLL/MFM HDD. Part of the IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D lot. Probably dead but want to check anyway. Update: MFK/RLL is dead: already in recycling. IDE: will try tomorrow. Update: IDE also dead: recycled. COMPLETED

Source Philips MS-DOS 4.01. Update: in progress through seller in SK. Update: waiting to leave SK. Update: is in the US & en route. Update: reached FL but keeps bouncing around. Hopefully Tuesday. Update: arrived finally. Package was lost for a day or two. P 3238 system manual was still shrink wrapped and has system utilities disk in pristine condition. Cool story: seller found it an abandoned SK government building on top of library bookshelves. COMPLETED

Test the 5.25" FDDs I got with the IBM PS/ValuePoint & TURBO 55 286: in progress: waiting for DS/HD 5.25" diskettes I bought on eBay: en route. Update: still en route. Update: IBM 5.25” FDD dead: in recycling. TURBO 55 5.25” FDD works. Still waiting for 10 pack to arrive. Update: pack arrived. Need to create boot disk. Will be a bit of an operation: need to hook up Pentium MOBO to an AT PSU and then attach an ISA VGA and PCI SCSI + FDD & HDD to create boot disk. Update: works great. Managed to get the ST-01 to work great with the ST-157N on the TURBO 55 (really a Samsung 550). COMPLETED

Wait for a MIF-IPC-B replacement: the one I bought two weeks ago died. Update: mailed back #1: waiting for #2 to be shipped. Update: return package was lost. Called the USPS hotline: case created. Postmaster of the destination post office responded. Called them: package found and should be delivered tomorrow. Update: wrong package identified yesterdY. Package still MIA. Seller sent replacement anyway (very courteous). Update: received. COMPLETED

Restore a NCR 3227. Update: en route. Update: still en route. Update: waiting: maybe tomorrow: probably next week. Update: DOA: mailing it back Tuesday. Update: en route back to TX. Update: refund received. COMPLETED

Decide whether or not to acquire a ST-296N for the Samsung S550. On hold. Update: decided against it. COMPLETED

Source a Philips serial mouse: in progress: need to pay seller in NL. Update: seller paid: waiting for shipping. Update: shipped. Update: received it yesterday: dead. Will have it repaired (when possible) when I get around to having the DS12887 socket installed on my Philips P 3238 MOBO. On hold. Update: works fine on a ISA 16BIT I/O PCB I plugged in to my Pentium MOBO. Weird!

I look at this as a winter hobby, so I consider November '17 to March '18 "The Year".

It's a bit late ...but my last 17/18 winter electronics project will be replacing the CRT's in two otherwise nice, clean, repainted (the hard way) VT320's. I'm hoping to get paper white tubes, I dislike amber (what the presently have) and I swear amber shows burns the fastest. I REALLY dislike working with CRT's, but if i don't do it, who will? It's now or never with CRT's, the way I see it. I replaced the CRT's in my two ADM-3A's a few years ago and I'm glad that I did. No screen saver on those, and I swear I get paranoid about leaving them on with anything but minimal brightness.

For 18/19, I'm getting my paper tape infrastructure going. I am replacing three older readers with modern guts. I have two working punch/readers and probably a good fraction of the remaining world's supply of DEC roll and fanfold paper tape.
    With any luck, I'll be reading programs into a real (not emulated) 8008 wire-wrapped machine with front panel I've been working on for a few years.

Clean a generic 486 DX2 66 VLB case, test the FDD / HDD / CD-ROM / CT2800 and install a Pentium 100 MOBO.

Restore a Digital Starion 200i. Update: waiting for shipping. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: flawed CD-ROM, IDE does not boot & needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting. Update: ordered USA based DS12887As today.

Restore an IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting. Update: ordered USA based DS12887As today.

Have a DS12887 socket installed on my Philips P 3238 MOBO. Update: on hold until late February / sometime in March. Update: April or May. Update: Q3.

Check out a Dictaphone system. Shipped today from GA. Update: received it. Very clean. CR2032 installed. 3.5" DS/HD FDD works great. 16MB RAM installed. Has Vibra 16 on MOBO which also works. Popped in an IDE HDD which works and boots MS-DOS. Keyboard PS/2 port works great. Need to test mouse PS/2 port. LPT port works great: used it to pump data from my Argent Technologies 486 DX 33 to this machine. COMPLETED

Install AVGA Windows 3.1 drivers on my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: needs Windows 3.0 installation diskettes. Need to create those. Update: files were in WINDOWS directory rather than WIN31. Go figure. COMPLETED

Source a Philips serial mouse: in progress: need to pay seller in NL. Update: seller paid: waiting for shipping. Update: shipped. Update: received it yesterday: dead. Will have it repaired (when possible) when I get around to having the DS12887 socket installed on my Philips P 3238 MOBO. On hold. Update: works fine on a ISA 16BIT I/O PCB I plugged in to my Pentium MOBO. Weird! COMPLETED

Restore a NEC PowerMate SX/20: in progress: en route. Update: should arrive today. Update: needs DS1287 replacement. Update: still waiting on two from CN for the Digital Starion 200i & IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: still waiting. Update: machine going to new home tomorrow. COMPLETED
    Last edited by PeterNC; March 15th, 2018 at 04:20 PM.

Since I have too many systems saved over the years and not enough space, my goal is, unfortunately to sell off 30-50% of what I have. Which means ditching 7 PPC Macs, a 64 or 2, a Plus/4, a couple Amiga 500's, assorted P3 era MBs and systems and a few CRTs. Ugh. But at least I will have more room in my office.

Find the damn zip chips of video ram for my Tandy 2500SX/20 :P

Restore an IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting. Update: ordered USA based DS12887As today. Update: had to order a replacement PSU: put it in a generic 486DX2 66 where I plugged in the IBM PS/ValuePoint P60Ds PSU. Update: received the DS12887As from CN.

Finish Doom: episode 1 completed.

Source a Philips serial mouse: in progress: need to pay seller in NL. Update: seller paid: waiting for shipping. Update: shipped. Update: received it yesterday: dead. Will have it repaired (when possible) when I get around to having the DS12887 socket installed on my Philips P 3238 MOBO. On hold. Update: works fine on a ISA 16BIT I/O PCB I plugged in to my Pentium MOBO. Weird! COMPLETED

Restore a NEC PowerMate SX/20: in progress: en route. Update: should arrive today. Update: needs DS1287 replacement. Update: still waiting on two from CN for the Digital Starion 200i & IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: still waiting. Update: machine going to new home tomorrow. COMPLETED[/QUOTE]

Clean a generic 486 DX2 66 VLB case, test the FDD / HDD / CD-ROM / CT2800 and install a Pentium 100 MOBO. Update: works great! Had to toss the PSU and CD-ROM. Popped in a different PSU & CD-ROM. COMPLETED

Restore a Digital Starion 200i. Update: waiting for shipping. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: flawed CD-ROM, IDE does not boot & needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting. Update: ordered USA based DS12887As today. Update: DS12887As arrived today. Popped one in the Starion: works like a champ! COMPLETED

Toshiba T3200SXC:
    1. Replace the screen in my Toshiba T3200SXC with the same type for as cheaply as possible. [IN-PROGRESS, WAITING FOR REPAIR/REFURBISHMENT TOOLS AND MATERIALS]
    2. Install Windows 95? (Maybe not)

Toshiba T6400SXC:
    1. Replace the broken floppy drive with a regular floppy drive + flat flex cable to 34-pin adapter. [ABANDONED DUE TO SIZE CONSTRAINTS]
    2. Buy a fully-working keyboard PCB with keyswitches, then swap pcbs and use the old one as spare parts. [COMPLETED]

Macintosh 128k:
    1. Buy an original mouse (The one I got from relatives in 2012 didn't come with an original mouse. Only a trackball which is hard to use.) [IN PROGRESS, WAITING FOR UPC339C CHIP]
    2. Add a custom 512k upgrade? (So I can try other games)

Okidata ML192+ Printer:
    1. Fix the serial card that came with it by replacing chips, if possible. Parallel mode works just fine. [IN-PROGRESS, WAITING FOR SN75154N CHIP TO TEST]

Zenith Supersport SX:
    1. Find out which address line on the graphics chip controls Chain-4 mode, to allow Mode X+Y in VGA.

340MHz Pentium Machine:
    1. Draw up circuit schematics for the VFX-1 Headgear helmet, ISA card, and Cyberpuck, and release it to the public, so compatible homemade versions can be created. [ON HOLD, UNABLE TO FIND USER-FRIENDLY SCHEMATIC SOFTWARE]
    2. Add a removable CF Adapter drive bay. [NOT NEEDED, UPGRADED SYSTEM BOARD HAS USB]
    3. Get the system up to 450MHz maximum (May need Pentium III Slot 1 CPU)
    4. Add a video card that can coexist with my ATI All-in-Wonder (so I can output video)

Restore an IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting. Update: ordered USA based DS12887As today. Update: had to order a replacement PSU: put it in a generic 486DX2 66 where I plugged in the IBM PS/ValuePoint P60Ds PSU. Update: received the DS12887As from CN. Update: on hold.

Finish Doom: episode 1 completed.

Restore a NEC PowerMate SX/20: in progress: en route. Update: should arrive today. Update: needs DS1287 replacement. Update: still waiting on two from CN for the Digital Starion 200i & IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: still waiting. Update: machine going to new home tomorrow. COMPLETED[/QUOTE]

Clean a generic 486 DX2 66 VLB case, test the FDD / HDD / CD-ROM / CT2800 and install a Pentium 100 MOBO. Update: works great! Had to toss the PSU and CD-ROM. Popped in a different PSU & CD-ROM. COMPLETED

Restore a Digital Starion 200i. Update: waiting for shipping. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: flawed CD-ROM, IDE does not boot & needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting. Update: still waiting. Update: ordered USA based DS12887As today. Update: DS12887As arrived today. Popped one in the Starion: works like a champ! COMPLETED[/QUOTE]