Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your vintage computer to do list look like for 2018?

Toshiba T3200SXC:
    1. Replace the screen in my Toshiba T3200SXC with the same type for as cheaply as possible.
    2. Install Windows 95? (Maybe not)

Toshiba T6400SXC:
    1. Replace the broken floppy drive with a regular floppy drive + flat flex cable to 34-pin adapter.
    2. Buy a fully-working keyboard PCB with keyswitches, then swap pcbs and use the old one as spare parts.

Macintosh 128k:
    1. Buy an original mouse (The one I got from relatives in 2012 didn't come with an original mouse. Only a trackball which is hard to use.)
    2. Add a custom 512k upgrade? (So I can try other games)

Okidata ML192+ Printer:
    1. Fix the serial card that came with it by replacing chips, if possible. Parallel mode works just fine.

Zenith Supersport SX:
    1. Find out which address line on the graphics chip controls Chain-4 mode, to allow Mode X+Y in VGA.

200 MHz Pentium Machine:
    1. Draw up circuit schematics for the VFX-1 Headgear helmet, ISA card, and Cyberpuck, and release it to the public, so compatible homemade versions can be created.
    2. Add a removable CF Adapter drive bay.

Not much.... Most important, to slim down my collection. For the space that I will free up, I will be getting an C64 breadbin and an Amiga500 instead. And still have plenty space to spare. Speaking of space. Going to get new furnitures for the room, that will make it even more easy to organise stuff. And finally, I need to get a modern C64 PSU with eighter a build in voltage protector or get a protector on the side. And I need to find more drives for C64/Amiga, plus small upgrades like lumafix.

Not the biggest plans. Yet I am qurious on what 2018 will bring. Guess I have the answer on new years eve.

At the moment it seems to be like a continuous game of 3D-Tetris. Can't install X in Y because Z is blocking it. Z can't be moved because position Q is occupied by A, A is waiting to be installed in B that's blocked by Y. And so on.

I've been trying to slim down my collection, unfortunately the method it's turned into consists of:
    A: cramming more stuff into the same space
    B: buying more stuff and piling it on top.

Peculiarly, this has turned out to be a sub-optimal solution
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

Quote Originally Posted by mR_Slug View Post
    At the moment it seems to be like a continuous game of 3D-Tetris. Can't install X in Y because Z is blocking it. Z can't be moved because position Q is occupied by A, A is waiting to be installed in B that's blocked by Y. And so on.

I've been trying to slim down my collection, unfortunately the method it's turned into consists of:

Could be a lot of us here are members of the Way Too Much Stuff club. I have the problem myself that whenever I want to work on something I have to move lots of stuff out of the way to get at what I want to work on and clear space to work on it. Plus the constant problem of not being able to find something that I'm sure I have somewhere buried under other things.

I should really get rid of most of the stuff I have accumulated over the years, and stop accumulating anything new.

Blog Entries

Mine has been, for a few months now, make computer history videos using my collection. Unfortunately, I'm too much of a perfectionist and so I can't pull the trigger. My excuses are endless: I can't get the lighting right, I don't have time to write a script, etc. I have some non-life-threatening surgery coming up that will put me off my left foot for 3 months, so this situation is unlikely to change (although, I guess I'd have a lot of time to write scripts...)
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Documentation and original disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by mR_Slug View Post

I'm in the same boat. I left "build new shelves in the garage" off my list though, because it's not really a "computing" project.

Fortunately living in a small town in a remote country for the last decade makes it nearly impossible to accumulate more vintage computers, at least those types that fit my preference. I just imported an essential AST SixPak card for one PC for an astounding $261, but they're not getting any easier to find.
    I test the dozen I still have once a year, just completed, and none went up in smoke this time. This year I plan on documenting the details of running and maintaining them before I forget and being sure I'm not missing any essential spares. Most remain on display in my living room and that's the main value I get out of them.
    IBM 5170/5053, 2 x 5150/5051
    Sun IPC, Ultra1 and SPARCclassic with tape, disk and CD
    HP Apollo 9000/735
    Silicon Graphics Indy, O2
    Radio Shack TRS-80 model 100
    Apple Mac Plus, DEC 5000/25

Blog Entries

I have been putting off slimming down the collection for years now. Deciding what to get rid off and keep is hard because if you chose wrong then buying back a piece of equipment you got for free or $15 at current rates $200+ would sting. But I am out of space and creatively stacking isn't a long term solution. Getting to some items can be a pain in the ass.

It also seems like I always have something that needs repaired (either when I get it or because I had it for 10-15 years and it needs recapped or something). As your collection ages and you have 100's of machines I can see being stuck fixing things more then using them down the road.

I don't like storing stuff in the garage, temp swings and humidity would be hell on systems (especially laptops and magnetic media).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    I have been putting off slimming down the collection for years now. Deciding what to get rid off and keep is hard because if you chose wrong then buying back a piece of equipment you got for free or $15 at current rates $200+ would sting. But I am out of space and creatively stacking isn't a long term solution. Getting to some items can be a pain in the ass.

It also seems like I always have something that needs repaired (either when I get it or because I had it for 10-15 years and it needs recapped or something). As your collection ages and you have 100's of machines I can see being stuck fixing things more then using them down the road.

I don't like storing stuff in the garage, temp swings and humidity would be hell on systems (especially laptops and magnetic media).
    There is no wrong choice, because eventually somebody is slimming down all of it.

I could go on for many pages about goals I want to accomplish for Vintage Computer Federation. But my personal vintage computing goal this year is just one thing: learn 6502 assembly on the Apple II. Already did a primitive Hello World.