Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your vintage computer to do list look like for 2018?

My year is kinda sorta split in half - I'm planning to move out of WA and move to Reno/Sparks NV sometime toward the middle/later half of the year at the latest. Because of this, I"m currently cutting a lot of things down to size and that includes all the computers and parts I have on hand.

At most, as far as vintage hardware goes, I plan to keep my Tandy 1000A, 286, and 486. The rest is finding new homes either with friends, going to the marketplace here, or going on e-bay. I've got roughly 2 boxes of hardware to sort through, all of it PCI/ISA/VLB PC stuff from the 8088-early Pentium era. I want to keep one smaller box of it as spares for the Tandy/286/486. But there's really no point in having a horde of cards that I'm not even going to use, including some of the weirder stuff like the Pbackard Bell TV Tuner and Radio Cards and whatnot.

If I buy or get anything before moving, it's going to be more Hard drives.....I just had all but one of the hard disks for my 486 die (20GB, 40GB, and 80GB), they all fell and won't address anymore (DOH). But it's not really essential at all, just if something cheap and convenient or even free comes about I'll take advantage if possible. But more on improvements to the computers later.

Once I'm downsized, there will be a total of 5 computers at most - those three I mentioned, my Desktop that I'm typing on right now, and my laptop. Those devices are all that is coming, and between them I only have 2 monitors - the widescreen flat-panel LCD I am staring at now, and the NEC MultiSync Monitor.

NOW - Once we get to NV, I have plans to not be doing much vintage-computer wise during the summer. Because I almost never do much with vintage hardware and software during the summer. For starters, I'll be starting a new job, joining a new band, and living at least six months or so in an Apartment while we house-hunt/get our affairs in order to buy a house.

If by some chance we DO get a house, Vintage Computer stuff will depend heavily on what work the house requires. If I need to sink some money into remodeling, the money is going there, not to my computers. But if things are going well and I have space in the budget, I plan to get back at it.

The three machines I'm keeping, I have definite plans for them...most of it is bumping up the Tandy's CPU/Co-Pro, Adding swappable hard disk capability to the 286 and future-proofing the CMOS battery circuit, and for the 486, finding a full 128MB of RAM or upggrading the BIOS to the latest version (learn to burn EEPROMS) so I can utilize that full amount of RAM - not to mention rebuilding all the drives I lost for it. Also plan to get a mouse and controller for the Tandy.

Also, once we are in a house - the plan is to display my 3 machines on a table in my Man Cave, side by side, computer lab style. With their own somewhat period correct displays.....I'll find 2 more CRT monitors, a nice powerful SVGA unit for the 286 and 486, and the Tandy gets the NEC MultiSync.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by inotarobot View Post
    Since I am 67 in mid June

I think my major project for 2018 is to bring in at least 4 by 12 meter dump skips, chuck the lot.

Sell the house.

and go hitch hiking around the world.
    Phoned and got two different dump skip people to visit and give me quote to remove the lot of my stuff, including all the reno materials I have been accumulating to have a major working bee on the house.

Test a MPU-401 with a MIF-IPC-B. Update: appears to work: awaiting MIDI cable to confirm 100%. Update: put a back plate on the ISA PCB. Took it from a parallel ISA PCB I got cheap on eBay. COMPLETED

Test whether 2X 4MB 72PIN FPM work in my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: en route.

Source AVGA2 DOS utilities. Update: in progress through proxy in SE.

Source Philips MS-DOS 4.01. Update: in progress through seller in SK.

Restore a Digital Starion 200i. Update: waiting for shipping. Update: en route.

Restore an IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: en route.

Test a CT2770. Update: en route.

Have a DS12887 socket installed on my Philips P 3238 MOBO. Update: on hold until late February / sometime in March.

Find a website where I can download FLIs. Update: no idea where to find those. Update: in progress.

Install Word for Windows 6.0 on my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: first attempt failed yesterday (bad diskette). Update: on hold.

Finish all episodes of Wolfenstein 3D. Update: played a few levels of episode 1 yesterday. Update: played a few more levels yesterday. Update: episode 1 completed.

Finish a couple of Pirates! Gold games. Update: on hold.
    Last edited by PeterNC; February 7th, 2018 at 05:50 PM.

- Finish repairing my Altair 8800
    - Restore Compaq Portable
    - Build TRS-80 Model 3 hard disk

Those are the major ones. I always seem to sneak some other small projects in there as well

I've been recapping my old Mac boards and still need to do a few more and my Amiga CD32. Started making videos about my old hardware/software (link in sig) because otherwise it would just sit around collecting dust. Some things I've got going on:

-fire up my PowerMac 6100 with internal 486 addon card and install Windows 3.1 or something on it
    -get my Apple Newtons up and try networking/modems etc etc
    -find a newer ROM chip for my original Apple IIgs and play some games on it
    -figure out how to boot CP/M on an Apple IIe with the addon CP/M card
    -find a floppy drive for my C64 and try some software
    -get an old Motorola Atlas 604 board to work and try AIX or NT for PPC
    -do another 486 build and also a Pentium II build with Win98
    -continue hitting up the local thrift store for old software

Cool

Source Philips MS-DOS 4.01. Update: in progress through seller in SK. Update: waiting to leave SK.

Restore a Digital Starion 200i. Update: waiting for shipping. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: flawed CD-ROM, IDE does not boot & needs DS12887 replacement.

Restore an IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: needs DS12887 replacement.

Have a DS12887 socket installed on my Philips P 3238 MOBO. Update: on hold until late February / sometime in March.

Find a website where I can download FLIs. Update: no idea where to find those. Update: in progress.

Install Word for Windows 6.0 on my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: first attempt failed yesterday (bad diskette). Update: on hold.

Finish all episodes of Wolfenstein 3D. Update: played a few levels of episode 1 yesterday. Update: played a few more levels yesterday. Update: episode 1 completed.

Source a Philips serial mouse: in progress: need to pay seller in NL. Update: seller paid: waiting for shipping.

Restore a NEC PowerMate SX/20: in progress: en route.

Test the 5.25" FDDs I got with the IBM PS/ValuePoint & TURBO 55 286: in progress: waiting for DS/HD 5.25" diskettes I bought on eBay: en route.

Test a MPU-401 with a MIF-IPC-B. Update: appears to work: awaiting MIDI cable to confirm 100%. Update: put a back plate on the ISA PCB. Took it from a parallel ISA PCB I got cheap on eBay. COMPLETED

Test whether 2X 4MB 72PIN FPM work in my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: en route. Update: works great! COMPLETED

Source AVGA2 DOS utilities. Update: in progress through proxy in SE. Update: received & works great! COMPLETED

Test a CT1770. Update: en route. Update: received: works great! COMPLETED
    Last edited by PeterNC; February 13th, 2018 at 05:59 AM.

Cool

Restore a NCR 3227. Update: en route.

Install AVGA Windows 3.1 drivers on my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: needs Windows 3.0 installation diskettes. Need to create those.

Test the 5.25" FDDs I got with the IBM PS/ValuePoint & TURBO 55 286: in progress: waiting for DS/HD 5.25" diskettes I bought on eBay: en route.

Restore a NEC PowerMate SX/20: in progress: en route. Update: should arrive today.

Source a Philips serial mouse: in progress: need to pay seller in NL. Update: seller paid: waiting for shipping. Update: shipped.

Source Philips MS-DOS 4.01. Update: in progress through seller in SK. Update: waiting to leave SK.

Restore a Digital Starion 200i. Update: waiting for shipping. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: flawed CD-ROM, IDE does not boot & needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN.

Restore an IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN.

Finish all episodes of Wolfenstein 3D. Update: played a few levels of episode 1 yesterday. Update: played a few more levels yesterday. Update: episode 1 completed. Update: making some progress in episode 2.

Find a website where I can download FLIs. Update: no idea where to find those. Update: in progress. Update: on hold.

Test whether 2X 4MB 72PIN FPM work in my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: en route. Update: works great! COMPLETED

Source AVGA2 DOS utilities. Update: in progress through proxy in SE. Update: received & works great! COMPLETED

Last edited by PeterNC; February 14th, 2018 at 06:19 AM.

Cool

Wait for a MIF-IPC-B replacement: the one I bought two weeks ago died. Update: mailed back #1: waiting for #2 to be shipped.

Test an IDE HDD & RLL/MFM HDD. Part of the IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D lot. Probably dead but want to check anyway. Update: MFK/RLL is dead: already in recycling. IDE: will try tomorrow.

Restore a NCR 3227. Update: en route. Update: still en route. Update: waiting: maybe tomorrow: probably next week. Update: DOA: mailing it back Tuesday.

Test the 5.25" FDDs I got with the IBM PS/ValuePoint & TURBO 55 286: in progress: waiting for DS/HD 5.25" diskettes I bought on eBay: en route. Update: still en route. Update: IBM 5.25” FDD dead: in recycling. TURBO 55 5.25” FDD works. Still waiting for 10 pack to arrive.

Restore a NEC PowerMate SX/20: in progress: en route. Update: should arrive today. Update: needs DS1287 replacement.

Source a Philips serial mouse: in progress: need to pay seller in NL. Update: seller paid: waiting for shipping. Update: shipped.

Source Philips MS-DOS 4.01. Update: in progress through seller in SK. Update: waiting to leave SK. Update: is in the US & en route. Update: reached FL but keeps bouncing around. Hopefully Tuesday.

Restore a Digital Starion 200i. Update: waiting for shipping. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: flawed CD-ROM, IDE does not boot & needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably.

Restore an IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably.

Finish all episodes of Wolfenstein 3D. Update: played a few levels of episode 1 yesterday. Update: played a few more levels yesterday. Update: episode 1 completed. Update: making some progress in episode 2. Update: episode 2 complete.

Find a website where I can download FLIs. Update: no idea where to find those. Update: in progress. Update: on hold.

Install AVGA Windows 3.1 drivers on my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: needs Windows 3.0 installation diskettes. Need to create those. Update: files were in WINDOWS directory rather than WIN31. Go figure. COMPLETED
    Last edited by PeterNC; February 18th, 2018 at 03:02 PM.

Get my PC/XT fully restored and operational; Completed 2/18.
    Obtain a iBook G3 from my friend; ETA 3/18.
    Complete restoration procedures on my PS/2 55SX; ETA unknown.
    Obtain a AT&T 3b2 if one comes my way; ETA unknown.
    Replace my 486's CMOS battery; ETA unknown.
    Optionally, fit my 486 with a 360k drive; ETA unknown.
    Get a seller table at VCFMW; ETA august?

Wait for a MIF-IPC-B replacement: the one I bought two weeks ago died. Update: mailed back #1: waiting for #2 to be shipped. Update: return package was lost. Called the USPS hotline: case created. Postmaster of the destination post office responded. Called them: package found and should be delivered tomorrow. Update: wrong package identified yesterdY. Package still MIA. Seller sent replacement anyway (very courteous).

Restore a NCR 3227. Update: en route. Update: still en route. Update: waiting: maybe tomorrow: probably next week. Update: DOA: mailing it back Tuesday. Update: en route back to TX.

Decide whether or not to acquire a ST-296N for the Samsung S550. On hold.

Restore a NEC PowerMate SX/20: in progress: en route. Update: should arrive today. Update: needs DS1287 replacement.

Restore a Digital Starion 200i. Update: waiting for shipping. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: flawed CD-ROM, IDE does not boot & needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably.

Restore an IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D. Update: en route. Update: received: in great shape: needs DS12887 replacement. Update: DS12887 shipped from CN. Update: waiting: early/mid-March probably.

Finish all episodes of Wolfenstein 3D. Update: played a few levels of episode 1 yesterday. Update: played a few more levels yesterday. Update: episode 1 completed. Update: making some progress in episode 2. Update: episode 2 complete.

Install AVGA Windows 3.1 drivers on my Argent 486 DX 33. Update: needs Windows 3.0 installation diskettes. Need to create those. Update: files were in WINDOWS directory rather than WIN31. Go figure. COMPLETED[/QUOTE]

Test an IDE HDD & RLL/MFM HDD. Part of the IBM PS/ValuePoint P60/D lot. Probably dead but want to check anyway. Update: MFK/RLL is dead: already in recycling. IDE: will try tomorrow. Update: IDE also dead: recycled. COMPLETED

Source Philips MS-DOS 4.01. Update: in progress through seller in SK. Update: waiting to leave SK. Update: is in the US & en route. Update: reached FL but keeps bouncing around. Hopefully Tuesday. Update: arrived finally. Package was lost for a day or two. P 3238 system manual was still shrink wrapped and has system utilities disk in pristine condition. Cool story: seller found it an abandoned SK government building on top of library bookshelves. COMPLETED

Test the 5.25" FDDs I got with the IBM PS/ValuePoint & TURBO 55 286: in progress: waiting for DS/HD 5.25" diskettes I bought on eBay: en route. Update: still en route. Update: IBM 5.25” FDD dead: in recycling. TURBO 55 5.25” FDD works. Still waiting for 10 pack to arrive. Update: pack arrived. Need to create boot disk. Will be a bit of an operation: need to hook up Pentium MOBO to an AT PSU and then attach an ISA VGA and PCI SCSI + FDD & HDD to create boot disk. Update: works great. Managed to get the ST-01 to work great with the ST-157N on the TURBO 55 (really a Samsung 550). COMPLETED
    Last edited by PeterNC; February 22nd, 2018 at 03:35 PM.