Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Final reminder! :) VCF Pacific Northwest is THIS WEEKEND

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    Huge thanks to
    VCF thanks YOU, eeguru, for your time/help at the front desk! You were a rock star.

Videos will be posted in due course.

Several of us took photos. I'm sure they will go online as the next couple of days/weeks transpire .... right now we all need time to relax.

It was fun, and a great pleasure to meet many of you in person.
    Mike B., Evan, eeguru, and others - big thank you for organizing this, and traveling here to make this event happen!

And for those that have never been to the Seattle-Tacoma area, I'll leave you a splash of the exit scenery as I write this and snap some quick shots on my flight back to Atlanta. It's well worth spending a few extra days up here checking out nature at it's best!

Attachment 43731

Attachment 43732

Rainier in both photos. St. Helens can be seen to the left in the second.
    Yes, we have a very beautiful nature here. And we definitely got a nice weather during the weekend.

Peaks on the second photo from left to right: Mt. Adams, Mt. Hood (it is kind of faint, difficult to spot), Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens - it has what appears to be a flat top - but actually it is the blown crater from 1980's eruption.

My other hobby is to climb these mountains as the time and weather allows. Here is the view from the top of Mt. Hood to Washington side. From left to right: Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, and Mt. Adams
    20170429_080847.jpg

Son Michael. Kids and their long hair these days
    Yeah... give him a few years, he will grow a beard

He was actually programming on Turbo C. I think VCF PNW was his first time using it (he had programmed other things before - Arduino and such). I showed him some BGI documentation a day before the exhibition. So he has been programming a graphics demo. And then he experimented with some PC hardware - writing directly to video buffer, programming PC speaker (he wrote a simple piano application), and writing port 0x80 (I've got POST card/display in both systems, so why not).
    Last edited by sergey; February 13th, 2018 at 11:16 AM.

Unfortunately I couldn't make it (much as I love Cascadia), but it looks like it's gonna be a blast!

Also, I've made a kinda-flyer...Okay, Twin Peaks is in eastern washington, but i still had fun with it.
    vcfpnw.jpg
    Last edited by MrArgent; February 13th, 2018 at 11:46 AM.

You need to change the tense on that - you did not make it. VCF PNW is a happy memory now.

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    You need to change the tense on that - you did not make it. VCF PNW is a happy memory now.
    You know, somehow i didn't realize it was Tuesday. My time machine's in the shop, anyways.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sergey View Post
    ...Yeah... give him a few years, he will grow a beard

He was actually programming on Turbo C....
    There I go showing my ignorance again. I thought he was using Quick Basic based on what I remembered Quick Basic looked like when I used it last.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmapc View Post
    There I go showing my ignorance again. I thought he was using Quick Basic based on what I remembered Quick Basic looked like when I used it last.
    Someone asked if my computer runs BASIC. And so I ran QBasic for a short moment. Michael quickly typed something like:

10 PRINT "Hi!"
    20 GOTO 10

Watched the screen scrolling and soon, satisfied with the result, rebooted it

I've uploaded my photos here:

https://www.atlhcs.org/vcf-pacific-northwest-1-0/

Again, thanks for a fantastic weekend to cap off a great week in the Northwest!
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

I was up in Vancouver but damn the weather was amazing all weekend.
    = Excellent space heater