Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IRC on Vintage Hardware

Default IRC on Vintage Hardware

I've been going through more Sun stuff lately, and decided to get IRC up and going on a few things. First off, SPARCstation 10, Ross HyperSPARC 166 MHz, 128 MB RAM, OpenBSD 5.9, running EPIC4 (excuse the mess!):

EPIC4 was compiled from source *on* the SS10. Total configure and build time around 25 minutes! Console terminal is a DEC VT320 in 132 column mode. Took a bit to figure out that, when using a 132-column terminal as the system console, you have to set the width in NVRAM. Setting TERM=vt320-w is not sufficient.

Second, a SPARCstation IPX, 40 MHz CPU, 32 MB RAM, SunOS 4.1.4, running ircII-2.2.9:

Works fine in a SunView console, too!

ircII was also compiled on the actual machine, I forgot to time it, but total build time was around 20 minutes or so. It's restricted to 8-char nicks. It's the oldest version I could find that would just build on SunOS 4 -- ircII-1.75 failed to build.

Nice terminal

Quote Originally Posted by ScutBoy View Post
    Nice terminal
    It sure is, isn't it? I use it fairly often since my VT220 *still* has a broken power switch. IIRC that's my LK201 from the VT220, not the one that you'd sent with the VT320.

mIRC 5.91 on Windows for Workgroups 3.11 with Microsoft 32-bit TCP/IP. Running on Amy's IBM PS/ValuePoint 466DX/D. Connected to the DEChub 90 with 10base2 on a 3Com EtherLink III:

Forgot that Win31 doesn't really properly screenshot with Print Screen and paste in Paint. Found this nice little util, written in Delphi:

http://runtimeterror.com/pages/retro/shotu/

Wow, that screenshot brings back memories. I haven't used mIRC probably since I used Win3.11

Blog Entries

I used MIRC on a 386DX40 with WFW 3.11 many years ago. Had to quit using it because people were posting too many interesting website links and IE5 on a 386 was just too slow and buggy.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Fixed up a theme for irssi that uses terminal-native inverse video mode for the status bars:

Setting the foreground/background colors is not sufficient, the VT100 will just ignore them and use its normal, non-inverse colors. Pictured terminal is a VT320 in VT100 mode (for ESC key!), on ttyb on the SPARCstation 10, running NetBSD 7.1.2.

You can get the theme file here:

https://github.com/chapmajs/dotfiles...si/vt100.theme

The SPARCstation 10 is still running over 10base5/thicknet, too

0irc on Windows 98 on a random Compaq Deskpro 5100 I was cleaning up today.

NetManage Chameleon 5.0 apparently has an IRC client! This is running on Windows 95, on a random Socket 5 motherboard in the workshop. Machine isn't even in a case at the moment.