Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a PDP11/83

Default Building a PDP11/83

I've been looking for a small pdp11 for a while with no luck - what's been available either looked in too poor condition for a pdp11 novice or was inconveniently far away to collect. So I've been collecting together some bits to DIY.

Anyway, I've at last got hold of a cabinet so I've now got the following bits and I want to make a start:
    - BA123 cabinet with power supply and load board (I was told that it came from a microvax which died and got stripped).
    - M8190-AE (KDJ11-BF?) which I think is a PDP 11/83 board
    - M8637-E (MSV11-JE) 2M PMI memory
    - M7555 (RQDX3) disk controller
    - M3119 (CXY08 ) serial board
    - M3104 (DHV11) serial board
    - RD54 disk (not guaranteed working though - sold as seen)

I'm really a pdp8 man and this is my first dabble with a pdp11 so I could use some pointers to how to get started, what else I'll need, useful things to read and how to check things out. Also I've no idea how to eventually build an OS and what other bits I'll need to transfer stuff from (I suppose) a PC onto the RD54. I've not found a manual for the cpu board, is there one on-line?

Any/all input welcome
    Last edited by bobaboba; February 8th, 2018 at 11:37 AM.

Of course there are manuals for all of that stuff online.

The M8637 MSV11-J PMI memory board should go in slot 1 to operate in PMI mode.
    The M8190 KDJ11-B CPU board should go in slot 2 to operate in PMI mode with the M8637 MSV11-J.

Does the M8190 KDJ11-B CPU board have a 15MHz or 18MHz oscillator? Does it have the optional FPJ11 Floating-Point Accelerator (FPA) chip installed?

Do you have the console bulkhead panel for the M8190 KDJ11-B CPU board? Makes things easier if you do.

EK-KDJ1B-UG-001 KDJ11-B CPU Module User's Guide
    www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/1173/EK-KDJ1B-UG_KDJ11-B_Nov86.pdf

AZ-GLBAA-MN MicroVAX II 630QB Technical Manual
    www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/vax/630/AX-GLBAA-MN_MicroVAX_II_630QB_Technical_Manual_Nov85.pdf
    Page 22 of the PDF, Page 1-11, Figure 1-9 Backplane Grant Continuity. Make sure you understand how the BA123 backplane works. Slots 1-4 are Q22/CD, the rest are Q22/Q22.
    Last edited by gslick; February 8th, 2018 at 12:33 PM.

You may find the following manuals helpfull:

MicroPDP11 System Owner's Manual
    AZ-Fl13A-MC
    http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp...nual_Jun86.pdf

MicroPDP11 System Technical Manual
    EK-MIC11-TM-002
    http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp...nual_Sep85.pdf

They both contain details of the 11/73 and the 11/83.

Peter

You may also find the RQDX3 Controller manual helpfull
    http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/qbu...uide_Nov85.pdf

Peter

Thanks Gslick & Peter

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    Of course there are manuals for all of that stuff online.
    Yes, I guess, but not always called what you'd expect or in the folder you'd look in

Does the M8190 KDJ11-B CPU board have a 15MHz or 18MHz oscillator? Does it have the optional FPJ11 Floating-Point Accelerator (FPA) chip installed?
    18MHz and yes it has the FPA chip.

Do you have the console bulkhead panel for the M8190 KDJ11-B CPU board? Makes things easier if you do.
    No don't think so. Actually I don't really know what it is yet . There are some bits and cables in the case but left over from the microvax.

Page 22 of the PDF, Page 1-11, Figure 1-9 Backplane Grant Continuity. Make sure you understand how the BA123 backplane works. Slots 1-4 are Q22/CD, the rest are Q22/Q22.
    OK, I've read that. I don't think I have any 'grant continuity cards'. Maybe I need to visit Ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by bobaboba View Post
    No don't think so. Actually I don't really know what it is yet . There are some bits and cables in the case but left over from the microvax.
    I've got John Wilson's pigtails made up if you wind up needing some. Of course you can run the boards yourself, the design is freely available.

Quote Originally Posted by bobaboba View Post
    OK, I've read that. I don't think I have any 'grant continuity cards'. Maybe I need to visit Ebay?
    Depending on how you lay out your cards, you probably won't need any. Just make sure there are no "holes" in the grant chain.

Is the CXY08 manual available online? I have looked for one for a long time. Is it register compatible with the DHV11?

Lou

EK-CXY08-IN-001, CXY08-AF 8-Line Asynchronous Multiplexer Option Installation Guide:
    vaxhaven.com/images/f/fe/EK-CXY08-IN-001.pdf

I have an original hardcopy of EK-CXY08-TM, CXY08 Technical Manual. Don't know if anyone has bothered to scan that manual yet.

Aren't all CXY08 boards S-handle boards? You wouldn't be able to use one of those in a BA123.

I think the CXY08 is functional equivalent to the dual wide M3107 DHQ11, which has a superset of the functionality of the quad wide M3104 DHV11.
    Last edited by gslick; February 8th, 2018 at 04:49 PM.

Some reading to do before I try to fire up any cards I guess.
    At least the power supply seems to supply power.
    Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    I've got John Wilson's pigtails made up if you wind up needing some. Of course you can run the boards yourself, the design is freely available.
    Do you have a link for that please to see what's involved?

Sure, here you go:

http://www.dbit.com/wilson/dlvdb25/

He's got the boards shared on OSH Park, so if you prefer the bare board route, you just have to click "Order."