Image Map Image Map

Thread: Hawley X063X Mouse Mark II STEP models

Default Hawley X063X Mouse Mark II STEP models

Inspired by NeXT's blog post about the Hawley and Logitech mouses where he crams the guts of a modern USB optical mouse inside the case of the Logitech mouse, I decided to take some precisely model my Hawley mouse so that other people will be able to 3D print replicas of these interesting old input devices.

Hawley1.PNG

Attached below are three STEP models: one of the plastic case, one of a button, and one of the metal baseplate.

HawleyMouse.zip

The case model is quite detailed and has all the internal bosses and features of the original. The only thing missing is the velvet texture on the top of the plastic case. In the original, it's selective, so there are a few places on the outside that are not textured, including the area around the buttons and a strip all the way around the bottom part of the case.

Hawley2.jpg

I haven't printed the model yet so I'm not sure how it'll turn out, but I'd recommend using a Formlabs Form 2 which I've had good luck with for detailed prints of small to medium sized parts. There are a number of 3D printing services online if you don't have your own printer.

Enjoy, and please be sure to post pictures if you decide to make one of these!

Quote Originally Posted by ejs View Post
    Enjoy, and please be sure to post pictures if you decide to make one of these!
    Post if you find a source for the real rubber-coated mouse cable Hawley used.
    It doesn't age well. I have several where all of it has cracked off of the wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    Post if you find a source for the real rubber-coated mouse cable Hawley used.
    It doesn't age well. I have several where all of it has cracked off of the wires.
    I looked around a bit, but this is probably a custom-order thing. In case anyone wants to try that, the specs are as follows:

Outer jacket diameter: 0.095" or so, black rubber. Wall thickness is 0.012". No shield or braid.
    10 conductors, standard color code.
    Conductors: 0.020" OD (probably 24 or 26 gauge). Stranding is 7/38. Insulation is not PVC, but most likely PTFE.
    The conductors have about 1.3 twists per inch. There's a nylon wrap with about 2.5 twists per inch around the bundle.

For posterity's sake, I've recorded the pinout and wire color code.

The connector is a 20-pin 0.1" pitch IDC plug.

Pinout:

1 - +5V power (green)
    6 - Middle mouse button (grey)
    8 - Right mouse button (yellow)
    10 - Left mouse button (white)
    14 - Y quadrature 2 (orange)
    16 - Y quadrature 1 (red)
    18 – X quadrature 2 (blue)
    19 - Ground (black/brown)
    20 – X quadrature 1 (violet)

Quadrature and switch contacts are internally debounced using two 74279 quad SR flip flops.

Anyone recognize the connector pinout?

Blog Entries

I'm bumping this thread as I finally got access to a 3D printer.
    The models are great. Thank you very much for putting that effort into making them. I had to convert them to STL files but that was relatively painless however either it was the printer or the buttons are a liiitle too tight. I might try scaling them on the next attempt.

A MK II Prusia took about five hours to make all of the above components with Slic3r's OPTIMAL export settings.
    = Excellent space heater