Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple II replacement power supply

I'd remove the fan. The Apple motherboards dont require cooling and all the fan is doing is putting additional load on the power supply and increasing heat generated in a supply that lack good ventilation.

I still think that for the cost and effort required to butcher in an atx supply you are better off just repairing the original power supply. It will probably be cheaper and easier in the long run and preserve the value of the unit.

There are some small form factor PCs out there that use a small ATX power supply that would likely fit inside the Apple II power supply enclosure. I have a dead power supply in a clone that I'll probably repair with this method.

Quote Originally Posted by David_M View Post
    I still think that for the cost and effort required to butcher in an atx supply you are better off just repairing the original power supply. It will probably be cheaper and easier in the long run and preserve the value of the unit.
    I second this. Power supplies aren't that scary and it's always better to keep things as original as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mdanh2002 View Post
    I will try to take some photos tomorrow and post here.

I adapted an ATX power supply to work with a Macintosh LC before. The only voltage rail that is missing is the -5V, which can easily be substituted with a 7905 connected to the existing -12V. I found here http://apple2.info/wiki/index.php?title=Pinouts the pinout of the connector, but it's not clear which side is which - the pins on my connector are not numbered. Besides, I seriously want to replace the connector before performing any further repairs. Does anyone know the name for this type of connector so that I can search on mouser/digikey?
    I know that I'm replying to an old post, but, there are complete enclosures with new Power supply boards and wires sold now at reactivemicro.com. They are the exclusive distributor of the Ultimate Enclosure which fits perfectly the power supplies that reactivemicro.com sells on their site. This enclosure also fits in the II, II+, IIe, and IIgs because it has a bracket that can be removed with two screws for ease of moving from one machine to another.

Also, If you wanted to use an ATX, ultimateapple2.com sells a product that does exactly what you are looking for in regards to making -5v from the 12 volt line. Its plug and play into any II, II+, IIe, and IIgs. Go directly from a modern ATX to your Apple II with that adapter called the LittlePower Flip. If they are not available on the site and are sold out, just drop them an email and they will make them available for you.

The Apple2OnlineStore (http://www.eBluejay.com/store/Apple2OnlineStore) also sells original Apple II PSU cases with brand new uPSUs installed as well as offers a refurbishment service in which a new uPSU is installed in your Apple II power supply case. Both II+/IIe and IIGS units are offered.

7. Default

You can also find plenty of 350W V1 ATX supplies with the -5V supply

Quote Originally Posted by David_M View Post
    Blown rifa caps wont stop the supply working they are there to suppress mains noise.
    The Class X RIFA safety cap in the Astec power supply fails short and will prevent startup. However, the supply will function normally when the cap is removed entirely.

Dave