Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Starion 200i - IDE HDD issue

Cool Digital Starion 200i - IDE HDD issue

Installed a 340MB WD IDE HDD in my new Digital Starion 200i. The drive is recognized in BIOS. It is only recognized in BIOS with CS (SL / MA jumper settings do not work). It does not boot. It just stops (it does allow CONTROL - ALT - DELETE). It is on the first position on a regular IDE cable (1 MOBO, 1 master & 1 slave). I can boot with a diskette and the 340MB WD IDE HDD works fine. I installed an IDE CD-ROM on the second position (with SL jumper set) and it works fine. Played around with various BIOS settings for the master IDE 0 to no avail (PIO mode, DOS boot and so on).

Any ideas?

The Philips CM-207 appears to be junk unfortunately.

The system booted Windows 95 from the attached 4GB IDE Maxtor that came with the system.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLI View Post
    Installed a 340MB WD IDE HDD in my new Digital Starion 200i. The drive is recognized in BIOS. It is only recognized in BIOS with CS (SL / MA jumper settings do not work). It does not boot. It just stops (it does allow CONTROL - ALT - DELETE). It is on the first position on a regular IDE cable (1 MOBO, 1 master & 1 slave). I can boot with a diskette and the 340MB WD IDE HDD works fine. I installed an IDE CD-ROM on the second position (with SL jumper set) and it works fine. Played around with various BIOS settings for the master IDE 0 to no avail (PIO mode, DOS boot and so on).
    Drive position on a regular IDE cable is irrelevant -- all three positions are equal.

Remove the CS jumper.

Remove the CD-ROM.

Try it.

If that doesn't work try FDISK/MBR and then reboot.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Thank you. Will try that once I get a new DS12887. Took it of the MOBO and one of the legs broke off.

Misworded post, see below.
    Last edited by Kazblox; February 9th, 2018 at 03:06 PM.
    Join the penny pincher army today!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazblox View Post
    As I would say, fix the MBR with FDISK. In some cases the geometry parameters of a typical MBR for a system that uses the BIOS for drive access may vary per computer, even if you have the same drive.
    Per the diagram at [here], the MBR consists of both boot code and partition table (and signatures).
    When you wrote, "fix the MBR with FDISK", did you mean the boot code, the partition table, or both ?

Ooops! I meant to say that the typical MBR for a system that uses the BIOS for drive access may not be written in a way that the BIOS likes it, depending on the geometry parameters set. Pretty sure that FDISK /MBR does not affect partition tables, the only thing containing anything related to geometry, but I've had some drives written in Award-based machines that did not work in Phoenix-based machines and vice versa until I repaired the MBR.

This was a long time ago, though; I don't exactly remember how the issue ran down. But... as others said, FDISK /MBR seems to be your best bet.
    Last edited by Kazblox; February 9th, 2018 at 03:06 PM.
    Join the penny pincher army today!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazblox View Post
    Pretty sure that FDISK /MBR does not affect partition tables, ...
    According to [here], it only happens in a particular situation.

Blog Entries

I have a starion 300i. Replace the Dallas chip underneath the CD-ROM/PSU bracket, on the very right hand middle part of the motherboard and it will boot fine. I have the same problem with my unit. It is a DS12887A and mine recognizes the 874MB drive but refuses to boot from it. I broke the legs removing mine too.

Yep. Waiting for it to arrive from CN with the very slow boat.

Default Starion 300i DS12887A

Quote Originally Posted by twistedpneumatic View Post
    I have a starion 300i. Replace the Dallas chip underneath the CD-ROM/PSU bracket, on the very right hand middle part of the motherboard and it will boot fine. I have the same problem with my unit. It is a DS12887A and mine recognizes the 874MB drive but refuses to boot from it. I broke the legs removing mine too.
    I am trying to get my starion 300i up and running. It would POST, but not boot and the POST gave a dead battery message. I also broke a pin on the DS12887A when I removed it. I have replaced the DS12887A and now the machine will not POST. Apparently the BIOS is stored in the DS12887A and of course the new one does not have it. Did you have the same experience and if so how did you overcome it? The 300i manual says to use a Crisis Recovery Disk to replace the BIOS, but I can not find anyway to obtain such a disk. I would appreciate any help you could me. Thanks